There's been a Breach!

DeepBlueSomething

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, I know...it's all on me.

I trusted a 'trusted vendor' and threw in some coral frags that looked good. And now I can confirm there has been a breach.

Multiple of this little dude (as best I can tell) running around on LPS especially. Not my pic but closest I could find quickly on the google. I have several montis, candy cane, zoas and a hammer - all corals added within the past 3 weeks...

I have pulled and Bayer dipped the first two obvious offenders. I know there are more for sure in my tank.

What is my risk?
What is my best action for remediation?

I should know better...and will do better. Bummer!

Thanks fellow reefers

AcroBug.jpg

OP
OP
DeepBlueSomething

DeepBlueSomething

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saltyfilmfolks @719bloodhound
Ha! Many thanks. After searching specifically for the munnid isopod it seems to be exactly what they are. Long antenna and scurrying about. It seems that they might not be a bad hitchiker -- and would likely clean up or find themselves food for a larger inhabitant.

I am relieved to find my barely introduced coral population isn't in immediate danger...at least from these guys.

OP
OP
DeepBlueSomething

DeepBlueSomething

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update -- after a bit more tank watching, I am fairly confident that my hitchhikers true identity is a Gammarus Amphipod. Slightly larger, but still ok reef critter. Not sure where he / they came in on but based on pictures, and reading and his anatomy -- this is more likely. Any additional thoughts? For your viewing pleasure, posterity and R2R, I present...

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking over my local wrasse options as we speak!
I've not seen them eat zoas. A couple have reported it , but you know how internet rumor is.

I think I have a trillion of those guys right now

And yea. The first is an isopod the second is an amphipod. They're fine.
I have quadrillion

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can find any answer your looking for on the internet,,,its human nature to learn the lesson after the fact..you might learn the lesson polyp by polyp
Thats not too cool.
It's a munnid isopod and an amphipod. Common basic bug found in most every tank.

wattson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your reading too far into my post..it has been reported some pods will aggitate polyps to the point of melting and then the pods will eat the pods as they melt..a double edge sword in the process with some pods as in cause /effect..
Thats not too cool.
It's a munnid isopod and an amphipod. Common basic bug found in most every tank.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your reading too far into my post..it has been reported some pods will aggitate polyps to the point of melting and then the pods will eat the pods as they melt..a double edge sword in the process with some pods as in cause /effect..
It's soooooo rare. I've had one report in three years and no picture of the pod. I have has mandarins for 8+ years and bugs so messed up I don't talk about it in the forum.

If you reread that post it's quite fear inspiring.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's soooooo rare. I've had one report in three years and no picture of the pod. I have has mandarins for 8+ years and bugs so messed up I don't talk about it in the forum.

If you reread that post it's quite fear inspiring.
Almost made me go home and dump pesticides in the tank for the bugs. ;)Wait, what about the fish. Who cares bugs bugs they must all die.;Dead Whoops, the Orkin man has gone crazy.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost made me go home and dump pesticides in the tank for the bugs. ;)Wait, what about the fish. Who cares bugs bugs they must all die.;Dead Whoops, the Orkin man has gone crazy.
Lol. Remind me to pm you a pic of my fuge next Halloween.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 51 85.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back