Thinking about adding a foxface

Joem820

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the title says, I am thinking about adding a Foxface or other rabbitfish. Obviously, these fish have venomous spines, but I have a couple of questions about how you handle venomous fish in general. First, how do you guys go about transferring the fish into the tank from the shipping bag? Second, what precautions do I need to take to protect myself when I am working in the tank? In addition, I have been looking into getting a fish trap in general, but all of the ones I see on BRS have some pretty negative reviews, and am curious to hear whether people think I should get one and if so which one. Thanks in advance for all the help.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can't sting you through the bag.

Foxfaces are not aggressive unless you have nori in your hand. They will generally stay out of your way.

Cole.mormon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no precautions needed! will only attack if you have nori. Will stay out of your way, their sting is no worse than a bee sting

OP
OP
Joem820

Joem820

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can i use a net to transfer him or would i need something else? I would be of him getting stuck in the net with his spines (had that happen to a koran angel a while back so am weary of a repeat)

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the title says, I am thinking about adding a Foxface or other rabbitfish. Obviously, these fish have venomous spines, but I have a couple of questions about how you handle venomous fish in general. First, how do you guys go about transferring the fish into the tank from the shipping bag? Second, what precautions do I need to take to protect myself when I am working in the tank? In addition, I have been looking into getting a fish trap in general, but all of the ones I see on BRS have some pretty negative reviews, and am curious to hear whether people think I should get one and if so which one. Thanks in advance for all the help.
Worse than mosquito bite, not as bad as bee sting.
Nitrile gloves.
Your tank should be 5 feet or longer.

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just need to be gentle with a net, no need to use a fish trap. The one i used to have was very shy and spent alot of time hiding unless you added food for it to eat.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i try to use a little breeder box thing i have or some plastic colanders i have around. nets aren't ideal for catching fish with, spines and gills can get stuck, some fish bite the nets and get their teeth ripped out when you remove them from the net, etc.

color me not surprised the guy telling you to grab it with your hands has clearly been stung by a foxface. do with that information as you wish

Cole.mormon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i try to use a little breeder box thing i have or some plastic colanders i have around. nets aren't ideal for catching fish with, spines and gills can get stuck, some fish bite the nets and get their teeth ripped out when you remove them from the net, etc.

color me not surprised the guy telling you to grab it with your hands has clearly been stung by a foxface. do with that information as you wish
lol it was a joke.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one. Can't remember how I added him. Could pour him into a small container, very little of bag water, then dump him in. If you've been adding water to bag, what few drops would be no worse than what is on the net or fish itself. I love my guy. Use a nori feeder and he's happy

Morbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just added a small Foxface from Live Aquaria a couple weeks ago. I was worried about the spines/venom myself, but it has turned out to be overblown.

After acclimating I just used a small tupperware bowl to scoop it out of the bucket. Put my handle over the top, drained most of the water, and into the DT it went. Sure, I got a little bit of acclimation water, but oh well.

The Foxface has so far been a (mostly) model citizen. The Yellow Tang, Tomini Tang, and Pygmy Angel that were already in the tank tried to play "boss" a couple times, so I saw some spike flashing. After that though they all get along.

It's never really come near my hand(s) when I've had to go into the tank. I just need to remind myself to pay a little more attention now (besides just watching out for the three Tangs).

Our new Convict Tang swims really close to my hands, worries me every time, but I think it's just hoping I've got some food.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do want to use a plastic colander or similar, I also use these kitchen strainers with a plastic type net. The fox can easily get caught in the net, because many times as a stress reaction will pop up their spines. Feeding time just keep your hands out of the tank, my fox is right to top and could easily jab you, otherwise they tend to retreat from you when cleaning, etc. Always make sure you know where he is before putting your hands in the tank, and make sure he sees you. I currently have 10 venomous fish, after 30 years I got my 1st jab from a lionfish several months ago. It was a minor situation for me, but please don't play down the possibility of a negative reaction, or at least some sweet pain.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a plastic strainer. To put in tank.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just slid mine in after floating it in the bag.
Mine is peacful and swims around with my Convict and Tomini Tang.
If I put my arm in the tank all the fish hide.
It will eat Nori now from my hand.
Just took this one.
20201126_133053.jpg

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use one of those little fish keepers from Petco to transfer mine to and from the tank. I have my hands in my tank all the time and he avoids me. He's usually on the opposite end of the tank from where I'm working.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back