Tidal 75 with Seachem matrix, polishing pad, Bio Pad, and chemipure blue
Reef Octo Classic 100 HOB skimmer

I test nutrients every other day and here was todays readings

Salinity 1.025
Ammonia 0.0
Nitrite 0.0
Nitrate 20-30
pH 8.0
dkh 11.7 (System is absorbing 0.15 every day) but still want to get more data before I am confident in this number
Mg 1350
Cal 453
po4 0.12

Levels are pretty stable in the tank, I did have a calcium swing but that is coming down and the dkh rose because of my miscalculation. I generally keep it around 9.5

I am dosing every day is no3-po4 x as I am having trouble keeping po4 down with this set up.

I am thinking of taking the tidal 75 off and getting a HOB fuge. Would running a hob fuge and the protein skimmer be enough for our tank? Bio load right now is on the lighter side as its still a newer tank. I do feed twice a day due to having a blue spotted puffer. I have to keep him full. My wife is slowly learning as he is munching on her monti in the tank. we do have a smaller clean up crew but our puffer if not fed twice likes to go after the snails. No biggie I know he needs it.

I am mainly looking to get the nitrates down lower hopefully around 10. I do weekly water changes or water changes every 5 days of 25 gallons using rodi water.

We do want to upgrade in the near future to a 120 with a 40 gal sump, with that said I would hate to buy a HOB fuge, then three months down the road she comes home with a 120 and we need to get a new skimmer and all new equipment. What would you guys suggest?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What fish are in the system? Are your corals doing ok?

I might suggest that you continue what you're doing - as you plan to enlarge your system - as compared to buying a bunch of new equipment. It does seem that you have a lot of nitrate production - if you're changing nearly 1/2 the water once a week. So - you're probably on the right track - with regards to changing equipment - or a larger tank .

OP
OP
N

nick654377

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish are in the system? Are your corals doing ok?

I might suggest that you continue what you're doing - as you plan to enlarge your system - as compared to buying a bunch of new equipment. It does seem that you have a lot of nitrate production - if you're changing nearly 1/2 the water once a week. So - you're probably on the right track - with regards to changing equipment - or a larger tank .
I mis typed the first thread. I change 25% of the water (15 gallons) once a week.

what we have is the following
Fish
2 clowns
1 blue spot puffer
1 yellow tang
1 long nose hawk fish
2 cardinals
1 clown goby
1 pink spot watchman goby

corals
2 torches
1 hammer