Thinking about throwing in the towel

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I can say is in my experience most tanks don't settle in till after the 1 year mark and sometimes longer. Freshwater does not usually have that issue in my opinion.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MThorne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks worse in person.

DSCN0327.JPG
DSCN0328.JPG
DSCN0333.JPG
DSCN0336.JPG
DSCN0337.JPG
DSCN0338.JPG
Do you have any sand sifting gobies
It looks worse in person.

DSCN0327.JPG
DSCN0328.JPG
DSCN0333.JPG
DSCN0336.JPG
DSCN0337.JPG
DSCN0338.JPG
Have you considered a sand sifting goby or diamond watchman goby. One would have that sand looking like new in a week...gonna make sand castles and dig holes but that's easy to move back

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to be a bit different than most people here. Like Paul B said let it be. While you are letting tank do its thing. Don't make changes and do lots of reading. It is not as hard as everyone makes you believe. Been doing this lots of years still screw up once in a while. But most people do get into it for the beauty and the challenges. It is definitely more expensive than fresh water.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hang in there! Everything you’re describing is normal for a new tank. I’ve had everything you’ve described and my tank has finally calmed down. Ask a lot of questions. We’re all here to help!!!

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hang in there! Everything you’re describing is normal for a new tank. I’ve had everything you’ve described and my tank has finally calmed down. Ask a lot of questions. We’re all here to help!!!
A true definition of what this website is all about, all these awesome people willing to help out a person in need of advice, or maybe a little pep talk to let em know it’s gonna be alright,, way to be R2R

damselindistress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain, truly I do. It's not been many months ago that I was making a post very similar to yours! My tank is just at 2 yes old now and I'm finally beginning to enjoy the kind of stability and maturity that allows a reef to thrive. I'm not going to win any tank of the month contests - yet - but I can finally see the beauty beginning to emerge from my reef. Its definitely a process and a commitment that takes a great deal of care and cultivation before the rewards start to pay off. I hope you'll hang in a while longer, I think you'll feel differently 6 months from now - good luck to you!

svogun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also a big proponent of letting the tank mature. In reefing we often times have to fight the urge to fast forward to the bright vibrant reef tanks we see out there. Nothing good happens fast in a reef tank. I've been taking care of fish since I was 6 (41 now) and have made every mistake out there. With a reef tank slow and steady wins the race. Take the time to allow the tank to go through its ugly phase. I don't think I had fish or lights running on my latest tank for at least 4 months. I took that time to seed my pod population, let the sand bed mature. Your patience in the beginning will pay huge dividends down the road. The algae blooms your seeing are normal. If you are losing fish take a look at your QT procedures, maybe an ICP test if everything shakes out. Hang in there. This hobby is worth it!

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been in this hobby for 12 years. I have gone through many stages as all do in this hobby. I went from a beautiful reef to one of the worst tanks I've ever seen after having to relocate it to my basement. I will not give up and will figure out the problem and get back to where I was before. The same can be said for you. Be patient and the results will come.

1582118024390.png

1582118080619.png

PapaShrimp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@hawk82 hey, just wondered how your tank was getting on as just read your thread now?
Like yourself, I had run successful FW tanks for 20ish years and took the leap into the SW world a couple of years back due to my new partner having a small SW set up (I know, I was lucky with this one). Took over the maintenance of her small Nano and then as we moved house recently we invested in a 90gal in October last year so it is about 5 months in and I can honestly say I have experienced extreme frustration and many algae blooms during these months. Through reading hundreds of posts on this great forum and watching hundreds of hours of videos on YouTube (BRS 52 weeks of reefing is very helpful), I have fought off each stage and I’m now enjoying the delights of green hair algae which I hate to tell you but is probably the next battle you will face. As other reefers have stated, these are all normal stages that we almost need to go through to get to the enjoyable part of the hobby. Is it challenging - yes, can it be sole destroying - probably, is it an awesome hobby with so much to learn and enjoy outwith times of frustration - absolutely. Stick in there mate PS

OP
OP
hawk82

hawk82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive moved my rock and fish over to a 20 long for the time being, I emptied my 40 and washed all the sand, sand is back in and its full of water. Ive got some live rock coming next week from Salty Bottom, so I hope they will give me the jump I need. I think I messed up when I first started this tank last time. When I added the sand, I put in that stupid bio magnet stuff, and I think that was the issues of all the white things I had floating all around the tank. After washing the sand, and refilling with fresh rodi, Ive got the salt mixed and the tank is clear as can be.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an extremely difficult hobby for the perfectionist who is impatient. Raises hand.

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive moved my rock and fish over to a 20 long for the time being, I emptied my 40 and washed all the sand, sand is back in and its full of water. Ive got some live rock coming next week from Salty Bottom, so I hope they will give me the jump I need. I think I messed up when I first started this tank last time. When I added the sand, I put in that stupid bio magnet stuff, and I think that was the issues of all the white things I had floating all around the tank. After washing the sand, and refilling with fresh rodi, Ive got the salt mixed and the tank is clear as can be.
Clear for now but still has to cycle so b prepared for it to get ugly again. I found a UV light works wonders for me. Be patient and let it do it’s thing. Good luck

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 38.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back