Third time better be the charm

F i s h y

2nd In Command.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some rally from chewy no other options att. Hope it gets here soon. If I can catch her I will put her in the 29 tonight. Part of me thinks treating the whole tank may be a good idea just in case. What's a good bacteria/fungus treatment. I have prazi. And when they say fw dip do they mean rodi or just fresh clean saltwater?
FW dip is typically heated RO water i like tap dechlorinated because its typically closer alk and ph then RO. your fish will most likely freak out and act like it is dying when you put it in, mine always did. as for fungal infections sounds like same treatment in a brief search of the subject.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazi is only affective for flukes or internal worms etc… you’d need kanaplex or something for a bacterial infection I can’t remember exactly.. if you tag vette or jay they could help ya more on that side of things. But both prazi and ruby rally pro are reef safe.. just make sure to leave the skimmer on while treating and remove the cup so it just overflows into the sump to keep 02 levels up as both of those meds will decrease them.. Jay recommends an air stone if a skimmer isn’t in play!

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha I got a big enough bottle of rally to treat the whole tank so will likely go that route. I am still going to try and catch her either tonight or tomorrow early morning. I ordered some metroplex as well that should be here tomorrow night. Won't dose anything until I have a better plan in place and things get here.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha I got a big enough bottle of rally to treat the whole tank so will likely go that route. I am still going to try and catch her either tonight or tomorrow early morning. I ordered some metroplex as well that should be here tomorrow night. Won't dose anything until I have a better plan in place and things get here.
Just an fyi! I bought 3 of the large bottles cause it says it treats 426 gallons or something along those lines.. well I didn’t read the instructions and just dumped 3/4 of bottle in “thinking 300 gallons for my tank” which was like 6 times the recommended dose haha! Whoops! No I’ll effects from the over dose then I caught it 2 days later when I went to dose the second round. It’s 1 oz per 20gallons of salt water.. the big bottle treats 426 gallons of water for 3 treatments as needed by directions..

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an fyi! I bought 3 of the large bottles cause it says it treats 426 gallons or something along those lines.. well I didn’t read the instructions and just dumped 3/4 of bottle in “thinking 300 gallons for my tank” which was like 6 times the recommended dose haha! Whoops! No I’ll effects from the over dose then I caught it 2 days later when I went to dose the second round. It’s 1 oz per 20gallons of salt water.. the big bottle treats 426 gallons of water for 3 treatments as needed by directions..
Good to know!
She ate like a champ tonight and is showing no signs of stress. No odd behavior either. Going to leave her in the big tank at least for tonight and get the qt tank up. Will reevaluate in the am and at the first signs of anything will pull.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown yesterday:
1000009111.jpg

Clown today:
1000009152.jpg

Appears to be getting worse. Prepping fw dip bucket with tap, prime, and a bubbler.
Heating up salt water for qt.
Tested this am.
1.025 25.2C
Ph. 7.97
Phos .184
Ni 25
Alk 7.3
Ca 440
@Jay Hemdal your expertice would be greatly appreciated. Initial thought was Brook (clown) but no new fish since Dec. Last weekend bumble bees added and last week a leather with rock. Did some rescaping with rock from another tank this weekend. Age of fish is unk but likely 8 yrs. Symptoms presented late Monday. No other fish showing symptoms. Clown eating, swimming breathing fine. White film has progressed over the last 24 hrs as seen in above pix. Reef rally on its way as well as seachem metro.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown yesterday:
1000009111.jpg

Clown today:
1000009152.jpg

Appears to be getting worse. Prepping fw dip bucket with tap, prime, and a bubbler.
Heating up salt water for qt.
Tested this am.
1.025 25.2C
Ph. 7.97
Phos .184
Ni 25
Alk 7.3
Ca 440
@Jay Hemdal your expertice would be greatly appreciated. Initial thought was Brook (clown) but no new fish since Dec. Last weekend bumble bees added and last week a leather with rock. Did some rescaping with rock from another tank this weekend. Age of fish is unk but likely 8 yrs. Symptoms presented late Monday. No other fish showing symptoms. Clown eating, swimming breathing fine. White film has progressed over the last 24 hrs as seen in above pix. Reef rally on its way as well as seachem metro.

Can you post a video? I want to see its swimming patterns, and if it is breathing fast. If both of those issues are fine, I really don't think that this is Brook.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a video? I want to see its swimming patterns, and if it is breathing fast. If both of those issues are fine, I really don't think that this is Brook.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tough call here - the clown seems a bit lethargic. I'm still not certain that it is Brook, but there seems to be some issue here. I guess I would err on the side of caution and move it to a treatment tank and dose with Rally Pro, just to be safe. Formalin would be a better choice, but that is tough to source and toxic to use in the home.

Jay

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby can be awesome and it can suck just as bad. Finally caught the clown this morning and the minute I put her in the hospital tank I knew. I hope I was humane in my choice. Her scales had completely melted off in the net when I caught her. I am sharing a picture only to document the progression. Rally is to be delivered today and I will still treat the tank as a preventative but no other fish are showing any symptoms. I am at a loss of what this could have been. Brook, euronomia, some flesh eating bacteria or fungus? Old age higher susceptibility? Sad because she was one of my first 3 fish, only Sam the springerii is left. She made it all this way. Happy because she gave me this learning experience and journeyed with me along the way. I know it's just a fish, but it's still sad, especially when if I knew more maybe I could have done better. I hope she comes back around as something cool like a cardinal.
1000009192.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby can be awesome and it can suck just as bad. Finally caught the clown this morning and the minute I put her in the hospital tank I knew. I hope I was humane in my choice. Her scales had completely melted off in the net when I caught her. I am sharing a picture only to document the progression. Rally is to be delivered today and I will still treat the tank as a preventative but no other fish are showing any symptoms. I am at a loss of what this could have been. Brook, euronomia, some flesh eating bacteria or fungus? Old age higher susceptibility? Sad because she was one of my first 3 fish, only Sam the springerii is left. She made it all this way. Happy because she gave me this learning experience and journeyed with me along the way. I know it's just a fish, but it's still sad, especially when if I knew more maybe I could have done better. I hope she comes back around as something cool like a cardinal.
1000009192.jpg
Sorry to see. That must have been a really aggressive bacterial infection - OR the fish died and some CUC did that damage?

HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH BULLIES IN YOUR TANK?

• I place the offender in an acclimation box for a period of time (jail).

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • I remove the offender entirely and reintroduce them at a later time (rehab).

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I use the mirror method (a little reverse psychology).

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • I rearrange rock work (throw them off).

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • I don't tolerate bullies. Bye bye fishy!

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • I've never dealt with a tank bully.

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 8 13.1%
Back