Third time better be the charm

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basement tank only 65g main tank 180g. More water more cool fish options?
This is a me statement, But I would opt to put the coral in the main traffic area of the house and where I will see it most often and where guests can appreciate it. Everyone has seen a fish tank if they've been to a Chinese food restaurant. Very few people have come in close contact with a reef tank. Plus I get as much, if not more enjoyment out of my coral, than my fish.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a me statement, But I would opt to put the coral in the main traffic area of the house and where I will see it most often and where guests can appreciate it. Everyone has seen a fish tank if they've been to a Chinese food restaurant. Very few people have come in close contact with a reef tank. Plus I get as much, if not more enjoyment out of my coral, than my fish.
Good points for certain. Just thoughts.
Similar to : reckless carefree me : well you do only have a 10g office tank you could always put the 65g in the office.
Reasonable adult me : 2 flights of stairs for a 15g water change? Heck no. Shut up and go lie down before you pull something just thinking.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Good points for certain. Just thoughts.
Similar to : reckless carefree me : well you do only have a 10g office tank you could always put the 65g in the office.
Reasonable adult me : 2 flights of stairs for a 15g water change? Heck no. Shut up and go lie down before you pull something just thinking.
But... The 65 in the basement is going to be tied into the 180 gallon system, right? AKA nitrate dosing through fish... Build an automatic water changer? Run a water line into the attic, run a drain tube through the wall to the basement, have a 20 gallon tote hidden in the office with a pipe running over to the tank and that's a lot of work. Nevermind, 65 in the basement with coral frags, 180 mixed reef, 125 or 320 (totally go 320) FOWLR and some hardier corals? You can probably get away with montis and such if you don't have any parrotfish or the likes... Get some fast growing encrusters?

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20220622_113657.jpg

Just noticed this little guy in the office tank. Feather duster hitched in on one of my live sale purchases, or so it appears.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CBB food!

Edit: I used to love feather dusters. Best thing ever. Now my cbb ate them all.
I really like them too. Never noticed this before today. No fish in this tank so no one will eat him.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
O

Have a coworker with an eel, trigger, and a dogface puffer with softies; gsp, rodactis, and the like.
I had a dogface puffer once + a rock flower anemone and many mushrooms. He ate them all.

When I said, there is always that exception out there. I really meant it. There are people who have kept puffers and clown triggers with coral. These are rare situations.

Anyhow, I am a bit curious on what @Stang67 is willing to temp :)

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a dogface puffer once + a rock flower anemone and many mushrooms. He ate them all.

When I said, there is always that exception out there. I really meant it. There are people who have kept puffers and clown triggers with coral. These are rare situations.

Anyhow, I am a bit curious on what @Stang67 is willing to temp :)
Temp fate is my middle name.
I will be getting my trigger it's just a matter of time. The good lfs store near me is having a sale this weekend so I may be getting some new friends sooner then I thought. Hammer is doing much better and back to it's pre transfer poof self and even split a couple more heads off besides the baby nubs. Also pulled the Duncan back in the display. Things are really starting to fill in sand perk up. I have my lights up to 40% ble and 3% whites at peak and I think that has really helped. Today I got this though. One dream coral checked off the list.
20220622_173712.jpg

Last edited:

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be getting my trigger it's just a matter of time. The good lfs store near me is having a sale this weekend so I may be getting some new friends sooner then I thought. Hammer is doing much better and back to it's pre transfer poof self and even split a couple more heads off besides the baby nubs. Also pulled the Duncan back in the display. Things are really starting to fill in sand perk up. I have my lights up to 40% ble and 3% whites at peak and I think that has really helped. Today I got this though. One dream coral checked off the list.
20220622_173712.jpg
What kind of Trigger are you planning? I've got two of my three wish listers.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of Trigger are you planning? I've got two of my three wish listers.
The blue chin or blue jaw whatever they call it. Smallest of the reef safe genus. There will also be others but that is the must have.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
20220622_173712.jpg
I can't attempt torches until my husband is willing to let my sand spitter go. So, that's the reason on my lta impulse.

May your torch grow many heads!

Back