OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna see if they have a lawnmower blenny. Could use some additional help with algae.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't forget, molly millers are also useful. If you get an algae blenny.
I was thinking of getting a handful of fresh water mollies and tossing them in. People seem to have success doing that. I tried long acclimation back a year or so ago and that did not go well.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking again, I have a fw tank that is getting overrun with Endlers. I am going to pull a few and put them in the office tank (10g aio waterbox) and see how/if they acclimate to salt well. Then if they do i think we will be putting some in the 180g. I need to do something because they are taking over the 55g fw i have. I love them because they are so pretty but its getting a bit out of hand. Should i try and nab the fry or the older adults to start? i will also be checking with the LFS as i know they use them as feeders so maybe i can do the same (frogfish) or trade them in for store credit.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Store credit is a good thing! I am always for it.

I would use the fry before the adults. I know molly fish are brackish water. I think the fry would adapt better, but I could be wrong. How many adults do you got?

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Store credit is a good thing! I am always for it.

I would use the fry before the adults. I know molly fish are brackish water. I think the fry would adapt better, but I could be wrong. How many adults do you got?
um well i started with 4f and 2m. I prolly have over 100 now. let me go grab pic.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20220624_095647.jpg

Fry in the 180 became breakfast in 30 seconds. Gonna see how the 3 I pulled do in the office tank.
20220624_095901.jpg

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
20220624_095647.jpg

Fry in the 180 became breakfast in 30 seconds. Gonna see how the 3 I pulled do in the office tank.
20220624_095901.jpg
My mom would love you. Until she found out your guppies became food. I had lionfish, puffers and my ribbon eel. I raised molly's and guppies to feed them. She threw a fit each time. Dad told me I wasn't allowed to feed the lions and puffers while my mom was home. I was 13.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mom would love you. Until she found out your guppies became food. I had lionfish, puffers and my ribbon eel. I raised molly's and guppies to feed them. She threw a fit each time. Dad told me I wasn't allowed to feed the lions and puffers while my mom was home. I was 13.
shhhh i do love them too but i am afraid they are getting out of hand. I should have known better but the tank has been doing so well i just let them go.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
shhhh i do love them too but i am afraid they are getting out of hand. I should have known better but the tank has been doing so well i just let them go.
I hear you. I am curious on how they adapt. I may make a 20g molly, guppy reef tank. But, I don't have a real reason too. My ribbon eels never ate the molly or guppies. The lions and puffers loved them.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you. I am curious on how they adapt. I may make a 20g molly, guppy reef tank. But, I don't have a real reason too. My ribbon eels never ate the molly or guppies. The lions and puffers loved them.
I think the only thing that didn't grab them were my clowns and that's just cause they are a bit slow to begin with.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be interested to see how many people have long-term success with converted brackish species.

I expect and get about 1-3 months on mollies in SW.

While they do eat algae, I'm not convinced they are the best solution to any given issue. I have found a lot of the algae munching Blenny species to be more effective, especially against longer filament style algaes.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be interested to see how many people have long-term success with converted brackish species.

I expect and get about 1-3 months on mollies in SW.

While they do eat algae, I'm not convinced they are the best solution to any given issue. I have found a lot of the algae munching Blenny species to be more effective, especially against longer filament style algaes.
Did you get the honey honey?

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah guppies experiment was not successful. But I know I can use them as a treat for the 180 or to up my nutrients in the office tank.
Worked an estate sale this weekend so wasn't able to get out to the lfs. Kind of bummed tbh but everything happens for a reason. Checked the bees today down to one hive again. Sometimes things just don't go to plan. There's a chance the second hive will requeen in time but it's gonna be close. And folks it's going to be a really bad winter. Just a heads up.
In more important tank news....parameters are looking fantastic.
Ph a bit high at 8.3 bc I just tested and it's late in the day. I normally test first thing in the morning and its around 8.15. Not worried.
Nitrates 15. Steadily heading down. Chaeto is growing so that's helping and I swapped out my bubble magus curve 5 for my new simplicity 240dc. That has been helping as well.
Phosphates .046 good.
Alk 8.0 still would like it a bit higher but I will take it for now.
Calcium 475 steady there.
Mag 1500 finally coming down.

Heading to Indianapolis on Friday for the holiday to spend some time with the folks.
The torch is doing well. Need to start gluing things down on the scape.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back