Third time better be the charm

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Time to set up the frag tank. You know what that means basement fish lair Jenna.
Here is the before.
20220707_173654.jpg

Mixing station is getting moved to the left and the frag tank is going in the middle. Rubbermaid is going somewhere else. Not in basement.contents of rubbermaid will give in frag tank for now. Frag tank will also be qt for new fish. Wish me luck.
Sweet set up!

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet set up!
Thanks!!! STANG STRONG LIKE OX STUBBORN LIKE BULL.. Half way there. Forgot the frag tank stand didn't have holes drilled in the top for the drain and return. Used the mixing jugs to hold the tank while I rednecks some holes. Tomorrow plumbing. It's level left to right but off about a half inch front to back so have to figure something out for that as well.
20220707_191102.jpg

Ps gram got accepted to the first choice of senior facilities. So that is a very big plus and she is willing to go. That's a huge relief for everyone.

Last edited:

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks!!! STANG STRONG LIKE OX STUBBORN LIKE BULL.. Half way there. Forgot the frag tank stand didn't have holes drilled in the top for the drain and return. Used the mixing jugs to hold the tank while I rednecks some holes. Tomorrow plumbing. It's level left to right but about a half inch front to back so have to figure something out for that as well.
20220707_191102.jpg

Ps gram go accepted to the first choice of senior facilities. So that is a very big plus and she is willing to go. That's a huge relief for everyone.
I hope it all works out.

You'll get your level taken care of. You got a lot done. That train keeps moving.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!!! STANG STRONG LIKE OX STUBBORN LIKE BULL.. Half way there. Forgot the frag tank stand didn't have holes drilled in the top for the drain and return. Used the mixing jugs to hold the tank while I rednecks some holes. Tomorrow plumbing. It's level left to right but about a half inch front to back so have to figure something out for that as well.
20220707_191102.jpg

Ps gram got accepted to the first choice of senior facilities. So that is a very big plus and she is willing to go. That's a huge relief for everyone.
If I may, an observation.

Is there any way the frag tank can move a few (five) feet to the left?

Given that you will be using it as a frag tank, and QT, you really don't want your qt close to your sump for the main system. Splashing fish, bubblers, water changes all spill water. .

All you need is a drop of water cross-contaminating between Your systems and your display tank now has whatever is in your quarantine tank.

Moving them apart will also make you less inclined to share tools, which you should not do. Everything for the QT/Frag should be clearly marked and kept and used only in and on that system. Nets, hoses, siphons all separate to best set yourself up for success.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Given that you will be using it as a frag tank, and QT, you really don't want your qt close to your sump for the main system. Splashing fish, bubblers, water changes all spill water. .

All you need is a drop of water cross-contaminating between Your systems and your display tank now has whatever is in your quarantine tank.

Moving them apart will also make you less inclined to share tools, which you should not do. Everything for the QT/Frag should be clearly marked and kept and used only in and on that system. Nets, hoses, siphons all separate to best set yourself up for success.
May away! Sure I can put the frag tank where the rubber made is and put the mixing station in between them, where it was.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reason it's there is the basement floor was poured by a blind man and is the most level right there. It's also closer to an outlet for power. I do see the most valid points you are making and I agree. More jenga tomorrow.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May away! Sure I can put the frag tank where the rubber made is and put the mixing station in between them, where it was.
It would not be a bad idea. . Best practices say they should be separated by 10 ft or a wall. I've got about 6 ft between mine because that's as far as I can get them away from each other.

My, quarantine tank was on a rack above the main sump (I know, I'm BRILLIANT). It did cross-contaminate with my main system a while ago and ick got into the display. I quite Honestly couldn't care less. My fish are all super healthy and I don't even see a spot every 3 months. It could have been worse though if it was something worse.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you for that I really appreciate the insight and advice!!!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reason it's there is the basement floor was poured by a blind man and is the most level right there. It's also closer to an outlet for power. I do see the most valid points you are making and I agree. More jenga tomorrow.
Having the mixing station in between them makes a lot of sense Not only as cross-contamination standoff, should be easier for water changes too.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got up early this am and broke down all but the necessities for the rubbermaid. Then after mom left this afternoon (she went to stay at my gm house closer to the new place) I got to work on the frag tank plumbing. Tomorrow I go help pack some things up for the movers to come on Sunday. They come to take some of her furnature from home to the new assisted living facility. Then Monday the hospital bed and wheelchair get delivered and they transport her to the new place. Get her settled on Tuesday and hopefully mom leaves on Wednesday.
Hopefully I can have the frag tank running by next weekend. Plumbing is done. Check.
I hate the smell of pvc cleaner and cement.
20220708_204455.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
use the wet/dry blue glue ,no primer... ;)
WP_20200412_15_53_44_Pro.jpg

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mamma don't mess around.
20220709_072533.jpg

And by mamma I mean B * * * H. Progress this am. Need to level frag tank, and get a piece of pvc to run the return nozzle then we're ready for water. Also need to hang the lights.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dogs stayed at their dads last night after I came home. This weekend was mentally exhausting and I haven't had a good night's sleep since I left for the 4th. Took a shower and an advil pm and went right to sleep. And slept all night. I really needed that. Got the last of the things I need for the frag so gonna work on buttoning that up tomorrow.

Back