Third time better be the charm

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added 2 to cart and proceeded to check out. Can't buy any yet though. I gotta guy who will eat them. They are on my list.
Holly Abalone you are right. First time that I have seen since Reef Builders did a video about them.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They reproduce for UC. Wonder if i can safely sump them?
Mine would crawl all over the powerheads without issue. I think if your skimmer and return pump have some kind of guard on them you would be good.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't think they would still have them so didn't look. I may go grab a few this weekend.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I held off on the abolone. ONLY because they seem to like stable Alk and I am not there quite yet. I just cant get the Oscar Mayer Bologna song out of my head now. My abolone has a first name its ..........
I did order my CUC from good ol' reefcleaners. Got a peppermint shrimp for the office tank which seems to have the beginnings of some A-word problems.
Mixing some Purple IO as we speak for a change tomorrow pm. Hope to get the high MG and CA down a bit.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am keeping mine at cal 450 and mags 1450. Alk between 8.5 and 9.

What salt were you using before purple io?
I had always used the reef crystals. Aka orange box. But thought with the levels being high best to do the purple until they come down. I'm at over 500 for ca and over 1500 MG. Alk is down to 7-8 so I use baking soda in the top off. Once life settles down going to look at dosing alk if needed.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had always used the reef crystals. Aka orange box. But thought with the levels being high best to do the purple until they come down. I'm at over 500 for ca and over 1500 MG. Alk is down to 7-8 so I use baking soda in the top off. Once life settles down going to look at dosing alk if needed.
I still use the orange box. My take is, smaller the system, purple would have been better. But with water changes even to a 112g, 20g doesn't do much. Everything seems to have a buffer time.

Anyhow, not telling you not to switch. Just curious on how the purple bucket got so high. Sounds like you used reef crystals first. Now switching to purple? Old system, my sps seemed to always love 10 alk. hammer coral wouldn't survive it. Could have been other issues. No one else cared. It was just hammer coral. They were expensive 12 years ago too.

Aqua62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using IO in the orange box exclusively for 25-30 years with no I’ll effects. Your levels will start to drop once corals are introduced and they start to use the CA and MG. After a couple years of running my tank, I have to dose all the time with soda ash, kalkwasser, and calcium supplements. My last test was around 12.5 Alk,1500 MG, 350 Ca(a little lower than what I like) I try to maintain my Ph in the 8.1 to 8.4 range with the tank looking great. My Ca was over 500 also for over a year before the corals started to use the Ca. Don’t sweat the numbers and take your time.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still use the orange box. My take is, smaller the system, purple would have been better. But with water changes even to a 112g, 20g doesn't do much. Everything seems to have a buffer time.

Anyhow, not telling you not to switch. Just curious on how the purple bucket got so high. Sounds like you used reef crystals first. Now switching to purple? Old system, my sps seemed to always love 10 alk. hammer coral wouldn't survive it. Could have been other issues. No one else cared. It was just hammer coral. They were expensive 12 years ago too.
Yeah I used the orange reef crystals in the smaller tank. Now that I have the larger system and lost a couple sps I am not seeing the decrease in levels like I did before. Gonna switch over to the purple plain salt until I see a decrease and then will bring back the orange box.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using IO in the orange box exclusively for 25-30 years with no I’ll effects. Your levels will start to drop once corals are introduced and they start to use the CA and MG. After a couple years of running my tank, I have to dose all the time with soda ash, kalkwasser, and calcium supplements. My last test was around 12.5 Alk,1500 MG, 350 Ca(a little lower than what I like) I try to maintain my Ph in the 8.1 to 8.4 range with the tank looking great. My Ca was over 500 also for over a year before the corals started to use the Ca. Don’t sweat the numbers and take your time.
Good advise thanks.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cuc has shipped should be here Friday. Rhe only coral that I was concerned with after the upgrade was my frammer. It still isn't as puffy and open as it used to be. In the past one head splits into two. I currently have 5 heads that are each in some stage of splitting so I will eventually have 10 heads. I noticed today some new heads actually growing off the stalks of the existing heads. Not splitting off like normal. Is this a good sign or bad sign?
20220525_190835.jpg

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am keeping mine at cal 450 and mags 1450. Alk between 8.5 and 9.

What salt were you using before purple io?
I always have used orange io. Just switched over to purple due to levels being a bit high.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally budding. Perfectly normal.
Oh good. Thanks so much. Sorry for not responding to your earlier question about salt. Fir some reason not getting pinged when comments come in on the thread. Have to check my settings.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I always have used orange io. Just switched over to purple due to levels being a bit high.
Oh good. Thanks so much. Sorry for not responding to your earlier question about salt. Fir some reason not getting pinged when comments come in on the thread. Have to check my settings.
I figured that much from all I read after. Hopefully frammer perks up for you.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back