OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suck it all out through a 5 micron sock and put the water back in the tank.

This is of course when you have time.

Numbers look OK so it's a time battle now just letting n and p stay stable to out compete.
You got it thanks. Sorry for freaking out.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have good news and bad news.....
Bad news confirmed with scope I have dinos. Prorocentrum from what I have found and have been confirmed on Mac's site.
Good news they are the "easy" to treat kind. Dosing with silicates, pods and phyto.
Looks like ima try to culture my own phyto again and why not try pods too? What's one more project right.
20221124_083606.jpg

Edit : after a bit more research turns out these are NOT the easy kind. Why would they be?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates: 10-12 Ideal range being 50x to 100x your phosphate. So this is HIGH.
Po3: 20 / .061

Loudwolf Sodium Silicate : Check
NeoNitro and NeoPhos : check and check
Pods and Phyto : Check Thanks @Dinkins Aquatic Gardens for the great Black Friday deal.
Bacteria :MB7
Carbon : for the reactor that came that was broken on arrival that has to go back and so were using bags for now.
H2O2 : Because why the heck not at this point.

Now I am not doing all this all at once. Though that actually may be fun.
Going to start by trying to get the ratio of Po and NO straightened out. I dont want to dose Po to get there and the only way to reduce Nitrates is a water change that I am not supposed to be doing.
So to balance things out I need to get things in the tank that will outcompete the NASTIES for resources (food/space) while keeping said resources high enough for the GOODIES to win.
Both of the statements above, plus the fact that I have spent the majority of today researching this crap, have my mental state in a total lock down.
Going to start with adding the Pods and Phyto since that will likely come first and the resources are not currently at 0. Then, hopefully, I will see the levels of resources decreasing signalling the time to dose them back and manage the levels via the dosing process.
Then start adding Silicate and then Bacteria while continuing to test and dose accordingly to provide them with resources as well.

I miss my traditional eat bird and watch football day. I much prefer that then today.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The battle has begun.
Po 14 .043 ni 25
Dosed 2ml of waterglass. This should bring the diatoms into the system. They will "eventually" outcompete the dinos. I have to keep the level of silicates between 2-3 ppm. There is no great test for silicates so I am using one of the not great ones.
Will see tomorrow where that puts us. Also tomorrow the pods and phyto should be here.
Got the dual reactor but pending the carbon for it. Also need to figure out which sump chamber the pump should go in, before or after the skimmer, or if it even matters.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Got the dual reactor but pending the carbon for it. Also need to figure out which sump chamber the pump should go in, before or after the skimmer, or if it even matters.
Personally I would go after the skimmer. I know it's probably very negligible but I always dose between the skimmer and the return pump just so I don't lose anything through the skimmer.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Manual removal combined with silicate dosing is the best way to deal with prorocentrum.

Silicate dosing alone will work, especially if you start dosing at the beginning of the outbreak. If not, it could be a few months before silicates alone will outcompete prorocentrum.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manual removal combined with silicate dosing is the best way to deal with prorocentrum.

Silicate dosing alone will work, especially if you start dosing at the beginning of the outbreak. If not, it could be a few months before silicates alone will outcompete prorocentrum.
I don't think I caught it early enough to be honest. November 6 is when I first noticed them, so maybe? I am hopeful that this is early enough and we will be in the clear by end of January.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 35 53.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 36 55.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 14 21.5%
  • None.

Votes: 14 21.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.2%
Back