Third time better be the charm

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
No full salt they were just little Itty bitty puffers 4 inches max. I'm sure they weren't "pea" puffs but they looked similar.
New favorite fish (not reef safe tho) is an indigo hamlet. First time seeing one and they are really pretty.
Very pretty!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These nudis
Sea Creature Pink GIF by Oceana

Not these nudis
Celebrate Old Man GIF by The Leith Agency
Did she just Doxx me, @F i s h y and @Eagle_Steve ?

That Cafe Ad was Only supposed to air in Japan!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No full salt they were just little Itty bitty puffers 4 inches max. I'm sure they weren't "pea" puffs but they looked similar.
New favorite fish (not reef safe tho) is an indigo hamlet. First time seeing one and they are really pretty.
Where did you go? If Atlantic or Caribbean, more than likely baby checkered puffers.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you go? If Atlantic or Caribbean, more than likely baby checkered puffers.
Caribbean. Specifically Roatan. I guess they are the 2nd most populus fish in that area. I can't remember what the first one was.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caribbean. Specifically Roatan. I guess they are the 2nd most populus fish in that area. I can't remember what the first one was.
I’m not buying it. What, they have a diver swimming everywhere counting up the fish? Sheesh… they must think we’re stoopid or sumthing. :squinting-face-with-tongue:

I will say that I am a Puffer lover. Salt, FW, brackish… does not matter to me. The last three I had were supposed to be Malabars. However, they ended up looking like no FW puffer I have ever seen. Totally different markings and coloration. I mean these things were funky and cool! I have pics on one of my old hard drives and may search them out. No promises though.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not buying it. What, they have a diver swimming everywhere counting up the fish? Sheesh… they must think we’re stoopid or sumthing. :squinting-face-with-tongue:

I will say that I am a Puffer lover. Salt, FW, brackish… does not matter to me. The last three I had were supposed to be Malabars. However, they ended up looking like no FW puffer I have ever seen. Totally different markings and coloration. I mean these things were funky and cool! I have pics on one of my old hard drives and may search them out. No promises though.
They were everywhere. I think they were sharpnose puffers.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two X's like the beer
I wasn't doxxing you. It was by no means malicious. It was the truth. The gif clearly portrayed you, grandpa and fishy. Do not confuse me with Elon.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In most areas of the Caribbean it's a negative as they are mostly "marine parks".
Correct, and you are not able to bring them back through customs unless importer and have CITES permitting and all of that.

In FL, you can collect them, but have to make sure in a county or zone that allows it. For example, Martin County (where my house is) and St. Lucie County (where I collect a lot of things) do not allow the harvest of any pufferfish for any reason. So I collect puffers in and around Jupiter, FL (Palm Beach County). There are also a few other counties which do not allow the harvest of puffers, but I do not visit those, so not worried about them lol.

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, and you are not able to bring them back through customs unless importer and have CITES permitting and all of that.

In FL, you can collect them, but have to make sure in a county or zone that allows it. For example, Martin County (where my house is) and St. Lucie County (where I collect a lot of things) do not allow the harvest of any pufferfish for any reason. So I collect puffers in and around Jupiter, FL (Palm Beach County). There are also a few other counties which do not allow the harvest of puffers, but I do not visit those, so not worried about them lol.
I heard you can't collect them because to many people have gotten sick trying to eat them...? If they aren't rare what would the reason be?

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In most areas of the Caribbean it's a negative as they are mostly "marine parks".

Keep nature in nature, I can get that. And I'm sure out of state is even harder to swing. I remember you (Steve) saying something somewhere else about out of state collection.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard you can't collect them because to many people have gotten sick trying to eat them...? If they aren't rare what would the reason be?
That is exactly the reason. 4 counties in FL on the Atlantic caost have stopped all collection/harvest due to deaths from people eating them. Checkered puffers do not carry as much Saxitoxin, which led to them being harvested, as they are super easy to catch on rod/reel. But in those counties, improper preparation lead to a ton of deaths or illness and the FWC axed it in those counties.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep nature in nature, I can get that. And I'm sure out of state is even harder to swing. I remember you (Steve) saying something somewhere else about out of state collection.
I do collect those puffers, just not where prohibited. I currently have 11 in my 7' tank lol. Only thing that they bother are inverts (shrimps, they try hermits, but not much luck lol, and try snails, but not much luck). Being as I keep larger white leg hermits and larger snails in the tank, they are no issue.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do collect those puffers, just not where prohibited. I currently have 11 in my 7' tank lol. Only thing that they bother are inverts (shrimps, they try hermits, but not much luck lol, and try snails, but not much luck). Being as I keep larger white leg hermits and larger snails in the tank, they are no issue.
When the grief dies down from the jumper I had I will get another. It may be a puffer or the hawkfish. tough choice now that I can watch it play with the mandarin. The hawkfish is also an invert killer, at least that's who I'm blaming.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the grief dies down from the jumper I had I will get another. It may be a puffer or the hawkfish. tough choice now that I can watch it play with the mandarin. The hawkfish is also an invert killer, at least that's who I'm blaming.
Blame the hawkfish. I have one in with the puffers and other FL fishes. he is a butthead and that is the only tank with things that keep him in check lol.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 91 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back