Status
Not open for further replies.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might help you if you’re new to internet forums.

Sinibotia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This community really does suck, though

1586116160680.png

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can bypass the welcome but I still would like advice or help of certain thigns. I feel like a bother asking too many questions to my LFS and I dont have any friends in the hobby. So i resorted to a forum site like this one.

Honestly a forum is successful because people DO ask questions! Please ask anything you would like and as often as you want too!

Shaka_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think people who love this community are upset because you chose the wrong title for your thread. “Am I doing something wrong?” Would have been more kind in my opinion

But I can sense your disappointment and sadness in your post so I’m sorry you felt that way.

But come on now, can we all get along?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
woman...but ok.
I think all of us feel this way at some point in time. If I can, I would like to make a few friendly suggestions. First is to start a build thread. Document everything you can think of. Pictures are a great way to draw attention. Some of us still have a kindergarten mentality and we zone out at a wall of text. Build threads tend to start out slow so don't expect a bunch of responses but try and think of a catchy title for yours. Even if it doesn't draw much attention, if you ask for help for something one of the first things I try and do is look at the build thread to understand their system. You can check out the link to my build thread in my signature if you want ideas. The 187g slice of the ocean, not the 120g embarrassment please... ;Sorry

They other thing I would encourage is to look at build threads whose systems are close to yours and who have result along what you would like. A 20g softy tank isn't a good place to make friends if you plan on a 300g SPS system. Most people love having questions asked in their build threads and its a great way to make friends. Find a system you want to duplicate and ask away.

And please, never feel like you shouldn't use the Reef Squad. They are volunteers because they love helping people. Until you get to know more people and build relationships pound away at them. I've never seen anyone in the Reef Squad complain about too many questions. Nothing wrong with tagging them in the initial question or you can tag them if you don't get a reply after a few hours.

Oh, and Welcome to … umm.. what was I saying again? Ah.. nevermind… :p

AndyinAtlanta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this thread speaks volumes on this community. A majority of the people in this thread have only offered kind "welcomes" despite the title of this thread insinuating that this community "sucks".

Probably wise for the original poster of this thread to acknowledge their poor judgement and move on.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These great reefers on this forum will look at a thread to possibly help, but when they see that the question has been answered correctly they will move on as their is no sense in repeating what someone else has already said. That's the main reason threads get a few post and then people stop responding.

Welcome to R2R!!! :)

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally think this thread should be closed, to prevent others from bashing on @ghartman1234.

We have all made mistakes.
I think it should stay open to show what a great community it is.
Most of the 'bashing' has been light hearted and the amount of welcomes and willing to help posts only goes to prove what a great community this is.

U

User1

View Badges
I can't really offer anything.

Edit: That isn't true. I can offer you a Teddy Bear and a blanket if that helps any.

Edit 2: On a more serious note I can say without a doubt the OP could have started off with a better title and not an attention getter one. That would get you passed first base. As for the rest it seemed like you came in a bit too hot. I mean where was your welcome? No idea. Did you post in the "meet and greet" forum?

Some people catch the post counts and sneak welcomes in. They are the more friendly sort or better situational awareness. They will without a doubt post welcomes and fancy images. Others don't focus on the post counts or avatars (another subject we won't get into here) so you more than likely will get missed which leads us back to the meet and greet forum.

Some people are guests. Some register. Some support and register. Some go about a combination of both and then one day start posting up a storm and never really worry about the M&G form. Different for everybody. You can see there are clearly more social people here and some of us are sort of anti social yet manage to strike a balance.

Here is what I can tell you - not stating Captain Obvious. This forum, or any others you participate in, are what you make of them. No different than school, work, friends, or family. The text written in a forum post and the person behind the keyboard reading can, and will be, interpreted differently.

Best of luck to you.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit 2: On a more serious note I can say without a doubt the OP could have started off with a better title and not an attention getter one. That would get you passed first base. As for the rest it seemed like you came in a bit too hot. I mean where was your welcome? No idea. Did you post in the "meet and greet" forum?

fwiw it was more than that. She chose to ignore all good advice she received over past month and make a blanket statement condemning the whole community.

I agree this thread can get ugly, and we all make mistakes, but it is helpful to remind the OP about all the help she has gotten and of course all the help she is now getting how to better use the forum. I don't think this was about the welcomes, but rather the 2 threads she started that fell off page one.

I admit I pushed the envelop there, but it was all done in good nature as laughter is, IMO, a great way to diffuse a situation as well as make a point. Some frank advice is not bad nor unwarranted as well.

I hope @ghartman1234 reads through this and takes the replies in this thread in the spirit of their good intentions and finds a way to not only get more out of this forum but to be someone who gives back and shares her successes and failures.

I think in a lot of other forums this would have turned this into a locked down screw you thread, and the way it has progressed says a lot about this community.

Arthacker87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys let's be honest, it seems like he finally caught one. We are all busted man. You got us!!!! Lol I kid. Welcome if ya have any question you can ask ghartman1234 lol have fun man it's no I'll will.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But few were actually helpful and actually helped me solve the situation. A few were pleasant yes but not what I was looking for. attempts at bumping but not entirely sure how that goes.

I noticed that. Just make a post in the thread. You can type :"anyone?" or "looking for some help" and then it will cycle back to the top

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love viewing other threads where people are announcing they are new to the community and lots of people warmly greeting them to it and giving them great advice. But where was my welcome? All I get is barely to no response when I kindly ask for advice or an opinion on something. I'm just like everyone else on this site who is wanting to share and learn from experiences. Am I doing something wrong?

Relationships are give and take.... Regardless of whether it's online or in person. You get what you give. If you're only on here to get likes & comments, then you're here for the wrong reasons. If I'm being honest... my tank wouldn't be as successful as it is had it not been for the group of people here. Just my 2¢. With that said..

WELCOME to R2R! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 42 26.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 31 19.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 29 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back