This may have been asked before but...

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may have been asked before but I’m just curious as to why reed lights have red and green led’s in them? I am told they don’t anything for corals.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How in depth of an answer do you want? Dana Riddle did some great studies on this topic.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting philosophical here, but do you really think that millions of years of evolution under the sun would not find the strongest organisms getting every bit of what it can out of the light that is available? Some corals will suffer without these spectrums while some will be OK. All of them will do better if you have them. Don't confuse necessary with ideal.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

• MISCONCEPTION: Natural selection produces organisms perfectly suited to their environments.
    CORRECTION:
    Natural selection is not all-powerful. There are many reasons that natural selection cannot produce "perfectly-engineered" traits. For example, living things are made up of traits resulting from a complicated set of trade-offs — changing one feature for the better may mean changing another for the worse (e.g., a bird with the "perfect" tail plumage to attract mates maybe be particularly vulnerable to predators because of its long tail). And of course, because organisms have arisen through complex evolutionary histories (not a design process), their future evolution is often constrained by traits they have already evolved. For example, even if it were advantageous for an insect to grow in some way other than molting, this switch simply could not happen because molting is embedded in the genetic makeup of insects at many levels. To learn more about the limitations of natural selection, visit our module on misconceptions about natural selection and adaptation.

Last edited:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for trolling. While almost certainly true that not everything has evolved well, if you ever had a tank or ever had any experience with an actual coral, you would see that these are not likely part of the strawman that you are trying to create. This would be easy to see with even the smallest droplet of experience and you would be ashamed to post what you just did...

Sorry to everybody else for feeding the troll, but I think that everybody should know that the dude has never even had a reef tank.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for trolling. While almost certainly true that not everything has evolved well, if you ever had a tank or ever had any experience with an actual coral, you would see that these are not likely part of the strawman that you are trying to create. This would be easy to see with even the smallest droplet of experience and you would be ashamed to post what you just did...

Sorry to everybody else for feeding the troll, but I think that everybody should know that the dude has never even had a reef tank.
Only you call science trolling..

Corals evolved like everything else on the planet.. Rules apply across the board.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Experience and hands on will tell much more than isolated papers.
Aquariums are a science in itself! There are lots of things that scientists can't explain and actually happen in our glass boxes.
Science is great to let us explain what we actually experience.
This is what really matter in reefkeeping.
Even test results won't tell you what you see!

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Experience and hands on will tell much more than isolated papers.
Aquariums are a science in itself! There are lots of things that scientists can't explain and actually happen in our glass boxes.
Science is great to let us explain what we actually experience.
This is what really matter in reefkeeping.
Even test results won't tell you what you see!

Not sure what any of that has to do w/ a comment on Natural Selection, what we know and don't know
or personal attacks but .. OK...

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't post anything directly related to any of your posts.
Yet you are experiencing "personal victim syndrome" as always!

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't post anything directly related to any of your posts.
Yet you are experiencing "personal victim syndrome" as always!
Sorry you were just caught in the backwash..
Yea being called a troll and wondering why I'm feeling "victimized"..LOL
JDA rarely bothers me personally. He has some very good points.. bit dogmatic but to each their own.

You guys are too funny..

An internet troll is someone who makes intentionally inflammatory, rude, or upsetting statements online to elicit strong emotional responses in people or to steer the conversation off-topic.

If my facts or opinions elicit strong emotional responses it's not MY issue..

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back