Thoughts on Cespitularia?

TacticalDumb***

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a Vargas Cespitularia and now I’m wondering why do I almost never hear anyone talk about them? They’re super cool looking. They look like something from an alien planet in a sci-fi movie or game.

Since I don’t have a camera that can do it justice here’s a picture from Top Shelf Aquatics where I bought mine from. (The Labor Day Sale got me) B8E0AA0E-5A28-4368-9B81-7A2A686D60AE.png

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they're nice. But they're adaptable and grow fast, so they are not 'cool'. If they required a PhD in marine biology to maintain, grew at a rate of 1 mm per year, and were prone to spontaneous melting-then everybody would want one.

OP
OP
T

TacticalDumb***

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they're nice. But they're adaptable and grow fast, so they are not 'cool'. If they required a PhD in marine biology to maintain, grew at a rate of 1 mm per year, and were prone to spontaneous melting-then everybody would want one.
Lol. I appreciate a good challenge but for now I’m happy with something that I can take care of easily. Maybe someday I can work myself upto keeping something really hard to keep like a NPS tank or maybe figure out the full extent on how to keep lancelets. So far I have managed to find what they eat and some lab protocols but not things like how often to feed them.

Tub Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Cespitularia, but I also like Xenia lol.
To me it's a nicer Anthelia. Kind of like Lexus to Toyota lol. Same but nicer.
In right conditions it can spread fairly rapidly.
I never kept the Vargas, can't say I've seen it at the LFSs here.
Beautiful coral, will look stunning when grown out into a nice colony!

psidriven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i like them too, but imo they look best under full specturm. under heavy blues that make other corals pop, cespitularia look dull.

NE reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How will these guys react with other soft corals, in particular toadstool leathers. I’m thinking about moving my Cespitularia near my toadstool. Also, wondering how these would grow on my back glass?

Cheezle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How will these guys react with other soft corals, in particular toadstool leathers. I’m thinking about moving my Cespitularia near my toadstool. Also, wondering how these would grow on my back glass?

You could grow this stuff in a toilet, it grows pretty fast and in my experience will latch onto anything that isn't fine sand. It'll probably annoy the toadstool tho if it's waving into it
PXL_20231015_004101863.jpg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a beautiful coral. But I got rid of it after a year. It grows extremely fast and I got tired of cutting it back.

NE reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the info. Unfortunately I reshaped the rocks in the corner where my Cespitularia frag was, that’s why he’s looking for a new spot in the tank. Il either find a new spot or give him away, not going to put it on the main rock structure

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 48 41.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 21 18.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back