Thoughts on mangroves!

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve been thinking about buying a little mangrove to put in my third chamber with my heater/pump as it’s right next to a window and it would fit in that chamber and only there due to the slanted walls/limited space in the chambers. Plus it would get natural sunlight so I wouldn’t run an extra light. I really like the way they look but I’ve heard mixed things to whether or not it actually exports nutrients. Thoughts? Experiences? Is it a terrible idea in the third chamber…I feel like it might be?
EF234269-5B4C-45EC-AA66-0B5CBB2A6D20.jpeg

Last edited:

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no mangrove experience, though I do not believe mangroves grow particularly quickly, so I don't think they would be ideal for rapid nutrient export. Also, I have heard people will put these trees in their overflows which seems pretty similar.
P.S. if you do get the tree, remember to regularly spray the leaves with RO/DI water.

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They dont grow particularly quickly. Mine has gone from three leaves to about 7 in a year with most of the new growth in the last 1 to 2 months. Unless it's a big tree, nitrate reduction will be minimal from them. In the wild these guys get very large, so you'll need to plan for what to do in the future. It'll outgrow the back chamber of a AIO over time (a long time). I'll take a couple pictures of mine later this am. Have it in my "sump" in the refugium chamber in a basket with miracle mud as the substrate. Using a kessil 360x refugium light to light the refugium and mangrove.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without strong lighting, it will stretch to whatever light is provided, growing tall and leggy. You can snip and wire them like a bonsai, but as stated grow very slowly. I've heard their roots could bust through containers over time, but never experienced that when I played with a couple for eight years.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They like lots of light and space. They also compete with corals for magnesium which they use to filter salt out of the water they uptake so closer attention needs to be given to monitoring it. And as mentioned above the root systems can be problematic to deal with. I have to check the overflow on this system at least monthly.

MAM Mangrove overflow 20210401_172625681.jpg

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not do it simply because it is in the same small chamber as the heater and pump. I think between the roots and debris and 3 things being put in there, it may lead to potential problems with the equiptment in there.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would not do it simply because it is in the same small chamber as the heater and pump. I think between the roots and debris and 3 things being put in there, it may lead to potential problems with the equiptment in there.
Can I put it in the corner of the tank in the sand? Thoughts on that?

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
They like lots of light and space. They also compete with corals for magnesium which they use to filter salt out of the water they uptake so closer attention needs to be given to monitoring it. And as mentioned above the root systems can be problematic to deal with. I have to check the overflow on this system at least monthly.

MAM Mangrove overflow 20210401_172625681.jpg

this

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 21 46.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 23 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • None.

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.7%

Back