Thoughts on stocking a 50g mixed reef

pledosophy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had a tank this small in awhile so I would like some help.

I have a 50g cube tank, with a sump that holds about 30g. Over sized adjustable skimmer. 15g refugium section. I will set up a pod culture, probably tisbe and dose those as well.

I am setting up a mixed reef. The only two fish I have to have are a Nemo and a Marlin.18 years in the hobby I know how cheesy that is but my son is 2 and he wants a Nemo and his Daddy fish. So, we're doing that. I might try and convince him a Lightning Maroon Clown is the way to go... but probably ocellaris. Will buy small CB. In all likelyhood these will be moved to a new display within 6 months (Waterbox 190g)

I normally believe fish need a job.

So I am thinking:
1-2 Cleaner Shrimp
1-2 Peppermint Shrimp
Adorned, 4 Line or Coris Wrasse. - eats pests (only 1 of these just not sure what species, probably adorned or 4 line since I have 2 other yellow fish) )
Yellow watchmen goby- stirs sand

CB Mandarin
Midas Blenny
3 Firefish- wifey likes the red ones.

Pin cushion urchin- algae eating and will knock over every damm thing I have.
Emerald Crab
Cucumber
Starfish (down the line for this one, probably small linkia species)
10 dwarf red tip hermits

9 fish in a 50g seems like a lot to me, but they are all pretty small fish and take up different spaces in the water column. In addition to the fish the tank will be mostly SPS/LPS as well as a clam.

I really appreciate the input on if I am good, or what I should cut etc.

Thank you.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool build. I wouldn’t get the lighting maroons as your clowns, they can be very very territorial and a 50 isn’t that big. I also wouldn’t do the cucumber, when they die or are stressed they can nuke the tank with toxins. I’m not sure about the starfish, I’d be hesitant.
If you want a sand sifting goby you should go with a diamond watchman or goldhead sleeper goby or similar. Yellow watchmans will dig burrows but not really sift sand like other gobys to keep it looking clean.
Wait on the urchin until you have an algae problem or you will never have coralline. Following along!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree about occ over maroons.

What are the dimensions of the tank? The 4-line would fit better in a 50 gallon, but I worry about it with the mandarin.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that a 4 line would be good in a 50 gal, and they are really pretty fish. But there is a risk of outcompeting the mandarin for pods, even with a fuge, etc.

I would think more about the starfish for a similar reason, in only 50 gal there isn't much sand. He might starve.

For a sifter I would go with a diamond goby. The gold - head are super cool but they throw sand everywhere. Bella gobies are beautiful but same issue.

OP
OP
P

pledosophy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool build. I wouldn’t get the lighting maroons as your clowns, they can be very very territorial and a 50 isn’t that big. I also wouldn’t do the cucumber, when they die or are stressed they can nuke the tank with toxins. I’m not sure about the starfish, I’d be hesitant.
If you want a sand sifting goby you should go with a diamond watchman or goldhead sleeper goby or similar. Yellow watchmans will dig burrows but not really sift sand like other gobys to keep it looking clean.
Wait on the urchin until you have an algae problem or you will never have coralline. Following along!
Thank you. I have not had lighting maroons before so did not know they had a different temperament. I appreciate that.

On the urchin- who wants coraline? LOL. I hate that stuff. Bi-product of keeping favorable sps conditions though.

Thank you!

OP
OP
P

pledosophy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree about occ over maroons.

What are the dimensions of the tank? The 4-line would fit better in a 50 gallon, but I worry about it with the mandarin.
it's a 24x24x20

Is your concerned with the 4 line and mandarin stemming from aggression or food? The CB mandarins are raised on prepared food. So while I will work on pod production it is more of a luxury to it, rather than pods being a necessity for food.

OP
OP
P

pledosophy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that a 4 line would be good in a 50 gal, and they are really pretty fish. But there is a risk of outcompeting the mandarin for pods, even with a fuge, etc.

I would think more about the starfish for a similar reason, in only 50 gal there isn't much sand. He might starve.

For a sifter I would go with a diamond goby. The gold - head are super cool but they throw sand everywhere. Bella gobies are beautiful but same issue.

The CB mandarins all eat prepared foods. Expensive little fish, but being able to feed them frozen food and not taking a fish out of the ocean make it worth it.

For starfish I would be doing a linkia species, not a sand sifting. I forget the exact species name, they are the little orange ones, a few inches big. It should have plenty to eat in the tank.

I will look more into the sand goby.

Thank you.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's a 24x24x20

Is your concerned with the 4 line and mandarin stemming from aggression or food? The CB mandarins are raised on prepared food. So while I will work on pod production it is more of a luxury to it, rather than pods being a necessity for food.

Food competition is part of it. I've also seen several reports of six line wrasses (same genus) killing mandarins, even packing their eyes out.

I would get a pink streak or possum wrasse instead.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 15 24.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back