Tigahboy's Macroalgae Tank(s)

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost done with my scape for the IM 30L. I bought 20 lbs. of live rock from KP Aquatics, which ended up being 6 pieces. Combined 3 pieces to form the large rock to the right and broke up 1 piece into the smaller pieces on the far left. Will ultimately end up removing some of the smaller pieces once I add sand. Let me know what you think!

DSC00835-2.jpg

I like the scape , I’m a fan of the ramp up scape , it’s how my tank is setup also
+1 on the ramp up scape. I really like how it adds variety to a tank. My 125 will also have a ramp-up design with an open sandbed on one end.

OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. Did you do the ship in water?
I chose the starter rock with no water. Still had a decent amount of life (crabs, pistol shrimps, urchin, worms) survive.

I like the scape , I’m a fan of the ramp up scape , it’s how my tank is setup also
Thank you! I do like the slope as well for this one given how long the tank is. I try to mix it up for each tank depending on the size/dimensions/etc.

Rock work looks good!

Thank you!

+1 on the ramp up scape. I really like how it adds variety to a tank. My 125 will also have a ramp-up design with an open sandbed on one end.
Nice!

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost done with my scape for the IM 30L. I bought 20 lbs. of live rock from KP Aquatics, which ended up being 6 pieces. Combined 3 pieces to form the large rock to the right and broke up 1 piece into the smaller pieces on the far left. Will ultimately end up removing some of the smaller pieces once I add sand. Let me know what you think!

DSC00835-2.jpg
Great work! Keep us notified on what other hitchhikers eventually emerge.
What sand do you plan on using? I suggest Gulf Live Sand from Gulf Live Rock (awesome biodiversity).

OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great work! Keep us notified on what other hitchhikers eventually emerge.
What sand do you plan on using? I suggest Gulf Live Sand from Gulf Live Rock (awesome biodiversity).
Thank you! I do have some Caribsea special grade coming, but I will definitely look into that Gulf Live Sand. I'm not familiar with that.

OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently traded macroalgae with another macroalgae enthusiast and received this beautiful macroalgae sampler pack (with 7 species that I do not currently own) and bonus air plants!
DSC00863-2.jpg

DSC00880.jpg

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently traded macroalgae with another macroalgae enthusiast and received this beautiful macroalgae sampler pack (with 7 species that I do not currently own) and bonus air plants!
DSC00863-2.jpg

DSC00880.jpg
Beautiful specimens and amazing photography! Every image you take is a masterpiece!
What species did you obtain... and do I spot the ultra rare Caulerpa verticillata?

OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful specimens and amazing photography! Every image you take is a masterpiece!
What species did you obtain... and do I spot the ultra rare Caulerpa verticillata?
Thanks! Yes, you do! I'll work on a complete list (still working through it all myself).

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Yes, you do! I'll work on a complete list (still working through it all myself).
Thanks! Caulerpa verticillata reminds me of the freshwater Cabomba and I have always wondered what it would look like alongside freshwater rocks, sand, and lighting (the recipe for a diatom outbreak... as I unfortunately figured out when I set up my first marine system :().

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IM 30L now with sand (about 30 lbs worth of Caribsea Special Grade Reef Sand).

DSC00998.jpg
Great work with the depth! Personally, a Spiny oyster would look fantastic in that cave under the largest boulder.
Edit: do you plan on adding powerheads in the future?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great work with the depth! Personally, a Spiny oyster would look fantastic in that cave under the largest boulder.
Edit: do you plan on adding powerheads in the future?
Would love a spiny oyster! I do plan to add a wave maker as well as getting a real light for this tank (just using a spare light I had lying around so I can see what I'm doing until the light arrives).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back