Tigahboy's Macroalgae Tank(s)

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, I’m excited! Aqua Illumination printed out one of my photos and hung it up in their offices. They sent me this shot.
11A70816-7C5B-4477-A49F-53622B48EFA4.jpeg
That’s SO cool! You definitely deserve it, congrats. :)

OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been working on consolidating tanks and moving stuff over to the new IM 30L. Some recent shots.
DSC01195.jpg

This Cryptonemia (ribbon-like macroalgae) is really beautiful.
DSC01167.jpg

This botryocladia was just buried under a ton of caulerpa in my grow out tank with very little light. Has more space in this tank now.
DSC01104.jpg

Moved over my mollies from the grow out tank as well.

OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beach lagoon is doing well, but I worry one of my tiger scallops isn't doing so well (been closed up more). None of the barnacles made it either and the clams spend most of the time buried under the sand. Stressful! I may be done with filter feeders.

DSC01251.jpg

DSC01079.jpg

Moved over the Darwin clownfish I had in my grow out tank for the past 7 months into this tank as well.
DSC01273.jpg

DSC01207.jpg

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beach lagoon is doing well, but I worry one of my tiger scallops isn't doing so well (been closed up more). None of the barnacles made it either and the clams spend most of the time buried under the sand. Stressful! I may be done with filter feeders.

DSC01251.jpg

DSC01079.jpg

Moved over the Darwin clownfish I had in my grow out tank for the past 7 months into this tank as well.
DSC01273.jpg

DSC01207.jpg
Tanks look great! Do you dose phytoplankton for the filter feeders? I only have some big oysters from live rock and I’ve dosed phyo for two months and we’ll they haven’t died lol

OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks look great! Do you dose phytoplankton for the filter feeders? I only have some big oysters from live rock and I’ve dosed phyo for two months and we’ll they haven’t died lol
I've been dosing a couple different types of phyto daily. Pretty generously actually. -_-

OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what this hitchhiking macroalgae is, but I love me some free hitchhiking macroalgae.
DSC01129.jpg

Found this random hitchhiking Vayssierea felis which eats spirorbid worms. I have lots of spiorobids, so it's a welcome addition as well.
DSC01187.jpg

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the elusive Batophora? @reddevilant has some of this slow growing macroalgae and has found it to be relatively undemanding. I believe it has been been sold as “Fern Codium” and “Neo finger” on a few sites as well.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/looking-for-very-rare-macroalgae.866661/page-2#post-9483758
That would be cool! I hope that snail takes good care of that macroalgae.

That would be cool. Thanks!
I'm not set on these settings. I get a ton of green algae growth, so may adjust further. But here ya go:

FW AI:
unnamed2.jpg

Reef AI:

unnamed.jpg

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be cool! I hope that snail takes good care of that macroalgae.

I'm not set on these settings. I get a ton of green algae growth, so may adjust further. But here ya go:

FW AI:
unnamed2.jpg

Reef AI:

unnamed.jpg

Thanks!

jandlms

Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

DSC01251.jpg

DSC01079.jpg

DSC01273.jpg

DSC01207.jpg
I am in awe of these macro tanks. They look fantastic and are very inspirational. Might have to try one as my next project. One question though. What function do the slightly fuzzy oranges in the fourth pic have to do with your success?

OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in awe of these macro tanks. They look fantastic and are very inspirational. Might have to try one as my next project. One question though. What function do the slightly fuzzy oranges in the fourth pic have to do with your success?
The slightly fuzzy oranges are ball sponges. They are like the cheese puffs of a macroalgae tank - bright in color; but no nutritional value whatosever.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So beautiful! Thanks for always sharing!

OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finished moving everything over from my 10g grow out tank to the IM 30L and I upgraded the lights to a ReefBreeders Photon 32-V2 Pro (full disclosure: I got the unit from ReefBreeders for free to try out). I manually adjusted the settings to get to a spectrum that looks right to me, so here's where it landed. The app is VERY easy to work with and check out these nice mounting arms!

DSC01621-2.jpg

DSC01624.jpg

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finished moving everything over from my 10g grow out tank to the IM 30L and I upgraded the lights to a ReefBreeders Photon 32-V2 Pro (full disclosure: I got the unit from ReefBreeders for free to try out). I manually adjusted the settings to get to a spectrum that looks right to me, so here's where it landed. The app is VERY easy to work with and check out these nice mounting arms!

DSC01621-2.jpg

DSC01624.jpg
Looks awesome. If the V2 is anything like the V1 I have or better, it will work great. I still use my olf V1 over most of my red macros that I grow out.

Please keep us updated on how the light does, as I have been looking at upgrading and those are on my list of candidates.

OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome. If the V2 is anything like the V1 I have or better, it will work great. I still use my olf V1 over most of my red macros that I grow out.

Please keep us updated on how the light does, as I have been looking at upgrading and those are on my list of candidates.
Will do. I'm most concerned about blasting the macros with too much light. I've adjusted the intensity down... WAY down to start. I'd really like to get a PAR meter and test things though.

I think an alpheus bisincisus would look real nice if it made a den on the right side of the im30
That sounds pretty cool. Currently 4 little mollies like to hang out there, and 1 likes to hang out sometimes under the hypnea.

DSC01440.jpg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back