OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how would you incoroporate macroalgae into a mixed reef in a way thats aesthetically pleasing & naturalistic. i dont want just a bunch of caleurpa on the sand bed.
Hmmm. This is difficult for me to answer without seeing the actual scape and other livestock in the tank. I think the great thing about macroalgae is it will add a more natural look to any reef tank (wherever you end up putting it).

I must agree with Soren.. the bowl is the next great step in the curiosities of the Tigah!
It continues to inspire hobbyists across stylistic and economic limitations.. pushing the envelope and questioning boundaries.

At risk of getting way too philosophical, I will add that this shelf as a whole summarizes the constant evolution of our interests as aquarists. It contains past knowledge from others in the field (books), a current project (fish bowl), and future potential (empty UNS tanks). It's where art and human touch meet nature, science, and the inexplicable capacity for life.

It's pretty much magic. Keep gettin' it!
Beautiful interpretation. Thank you for that.

OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some shots of my IM 30L. Bumped up the light intensity on all channels by 5%. Really love this tank and easiest to maintain. Maybe bigger is better.
DSC03843-2.jpg

DSC03852.jpg

Added this Ulva intestinalis (or is it compressa?). Not really a looker, but I accept all body types.
DSC03823.jpg

Also, just going to leave this here. :D
DSC03855-3.jpg

OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Latest shots of the mangrove-macroalgae tank. I moved over pulsing xenia from the IM 30L to this tank a few weeks ago and love the splash of light pink it adds.
DSC04002.jpg

DSC03980.jpg

Been struggling with hair algae in here. Completely covers the yellow ball sponges (I keep removing, but keeps growing back) and covers the red palm and boytrocladia as well, both of which I've severely trimmed back to remove the worst of the hair algae.

Last edited:

Drewerd7

Dank Tank Club
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Latest shots of the mangrove-macroalgae tank. I moved over pulsing xenia from the IM 30L to this tank a few weeks ago and love the splash of light pink it adds.
DSC04002.jpg

DSC03980.jpg

Been struggling with hair algae in here. Completely covers the yellow ball sponges (I keep removing, but keeps growing back) and covers the red palm and boytrocladia as well, both of which I've severely trimmed back to remove the worst of the hair algae.
I can imagine the green hair loves most/everything you need to keep the macro happy. Dont mean to sound too green here, but would an Emerald crab take take of business without destroying the macros? Maybe too big a risk, but if you could hire one on a short-term contract, perhaps they'd take preference to the green hair.

Tigah, I have to give a shout-out to those little figurines you incorporate! The little beach vibe is so rad. I love the light hearted element it brings to the aquarium. Especially consideringhow SERIOUS we all tank our tanks. Sure, there isn't a place for "artificials" in most tanks, but a mangrove/coastal shore sure lends a nice place to vacation! I dig it.

My 4year old daughter loves everything "Halloween." I'm really considering putting a skeleton in the bottom of my tank! Haha.
I'll be sure to share when it happens.

OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can imagine the green hair loves most/everything you need to keep the macro happy. Dont mean to sound too green here, but would an Emerald crab take take of business without destroying the macros? Maybe too big a risk, but if you could hire one on a short-term contract, perhaps they'd take preference to the green hair.

Tigah, I have to give a shout-out to those little figurines you incorporate! The little beach vibe is so rad. I love the light hearted element it brings to the aquarium. Especially consideringhow SERIOUS we all tank our tanks. Sure, there isn't a place for "artificials" in most tanks, but a mangrove/coastal shore sure lends a nice place to vacation! I dig it.

My 4year old daughter loves everything "Halloween." I'm really considering putting a skeleton in the bottom of my tank! Haha.
I'll be sure to share when it happens.
Yeah, it's a common struggle. Like hard to avoid hair algae entirely in an environment prime for macroalgae. I'm still iffy on keeping emerald crabs for the reasons you articulated. Maybe I could try a sea hare... though nervous about that too (but at least easier to catch and remove).

I appreciate that you appreciate artificials as well! :) I think they can add something in the right circumstances.

OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up one of those PNW Custom Micro Reef tanks awhile back, but just got around to scaping it over the weekend.
DSC04256.jpg

The display tank is only 28 ounces and it has a working 12 ounce sump below! Will set this up as a micro macroalgae tank. :)

Drewerd7

Dank Tank Club
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycling this micro tank now.
DSC04578.jpg
It was "cute," but that mounted LED just brought it to the next level! Pretty sick, man. Im looking forward to seeing what you grow!

Although, you might need a whole new set of aquascaping tools... unless you have a nail-care kit in your bathroom! Lol.

Super fun.

OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was "cute," but that mounted LED just brought it to the next level! Pretty sick, man. Im looking forward to seeing what you grow!

Although, you might need a whole new set of aquascaping tools... unless you have a nail-care kit in your bathroom! Lol.

Super fun.
Thank you! I think the nail-care kit may actually come in handy (looking on Amazon now).

I also have plans to add an ATO to this as well. Maybe a soda can for a reservoir? :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

monicalooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Following along as always! Quick question about lighting: What spectrum are you running on your large tank, how deep is the tank, and what are your PAR readings (if you have them)?

I'm specifically interested in the PAR necessary for photosynthetic gorgs, blue hypnea, and dragon's breath.

Thank you so much!

OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Following along as always! Quick question about lighting: What spectrum are you running on your large tank, how deep is the tank, and what are your PAR readings (if you have them)?

I'm specifically interested in the PAR necessary for photosynthetic gorgs, blue hypnea, and dragon's breath.

Thank you so much!
I try to shoot for full spectrum (or close to it) - 6500K. I don't have PAR readings unfortunately. I'd like to get a PAR meter and start getting some readings though. My larger tank is only 13" tall.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just me over here trying to stay relevant.

DSC05521.jpg

(Photo taken yesterday right after a fresh trim and water change.)

You’re the definition of relevant! Stunning as usual!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back