Tigahboy's Macroalgae Tank(s)

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tigahboy stunning as usual! You'll always be relevant with your tanks! I've got an idea for you. Would love to see you include in your thread care guides for the different macros. Even ones that didn't work for you and why you think they didn't would be helpful to. Can't think of many people other than you and Subsea who could present so many care guides for macroalgae.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Tigahboy stunning as usual! You'll always be relevant with your tanks! I've got an idea for you. Would love to see you include in your thread care guides for the different macros. Even ones that didn't work for you and why you think they didn't would be helpful to. Can't think of many people other than you and Subsea who could present so many care guides for macroalgae.
THIS!! Fantastic suggestion.

OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So beautful !! Does that purple macro need a lot of trimming ? Love the full look
Yes, I'm trimming it all the time. It's a never ending part-time job really. :grinning-face-with-sweat:

I'm not sure what's more stunning. You're tank, or your photography skills. Such a unique build thread! These tanks should be shown to every kid asking their parents about starting the hobby. Absolutely gorgeous. Well done!!!
Appreciate that!

You’re the definition of relevant! Stunning as usual!
Thank you, sir!

So just posting photos is not enough? :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: I've had similar asks before and I would like to put my thoughts in one place, so definitely a project to add to my long list of macroalgae-related projects.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just me over here trying to stay relevant.

DSC05521.jpg

(Photo taken yesterday right after a fresh trim and water change.)
Dang, bro! Awesome!!!!

OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An interesting development…

(I’ll be speaking on Sunday at 9am at MACNA 2022 Milwaukee!)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Wow man congrats!!!

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Another reason to try and make it to MACNA! I might have to give in this year, the speaker list keeps getting better and better.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also, made a lot of progress on my 28 ounce micro macroalgae tank. Added some asterina starfish, a tiny feather duster, dwarf ceriths, and a few different macroalgae species.

DSC04977.jpg

DSC04990.jpg
Craziness! :)

OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Tigahboy! Are you still having success with any of your brown macroalgae, like Lobophora or Dictyota?
I have some blue scroll (maybe it's a Padina?) that is doing well and I've had for the last couple years, but I don't have a lot of brown macroalgae long-term to definitively say I have had success given I take down and start new projects frequently. Also, wow, I've been gone from R2R for a long time based on the date of your initial post.

OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been away from R2R for a hot minute. I've been out of town quite a bit this summer (3+ weeks in Hawaii), then various work trips after that, so my tanks have gone through ups and downs due to some neglect, and work got real busy for me as well so I haven't been as good about updating on this thread.

But some of the more noteworthy updates since I last posted:

1. I spoke at MACNA in Milwaukee this past weekend! I presented on macroalgae tanks (of course) and I think it was well received. Decent turnout at the very least. I had an incredible time at this event! I met and learned from so many inspiring experts in the aquarium hobby and industry. I feel pretty pumped right now!
IMG-4746.JPG

2. I did an interview for the Practical Fishkeeping magazine in the UK! The article came out in August.
PRM.jpg

3. I also got an Apogee Instruments PAR meter (MQ-510) at MACNA (thank you so much to Chris at Apogee!) and I intend to start collecting real data with respect to my lighting on my various macroalgae tanks!
DSC07713-2.jpg

4. I'm starting a new, larger macroalgae tank project! It's a UNS 90U (68 gallons) with a UNS stand. I already bought a Fiji 20-g sump and a Fiji overflow that I have to install (going to drill the tank).
DSC07719-2.jpg

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ooo!! I'm super excited to see what you do with that new 68 gallon tank!!

Garpgarp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with that large tank. Do you have a vision for the rockscape? Thinking about how to balance macro/rock/practical space in large, tall tanks is a real struggle.

OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with that large tank. Do you have a vision for the rockscape? Thinking about how to balance macro/rock/practical space in large, tall tanks is a real struggle.
Thanks! It's definitely super hard with larger tanks and I've avoided them for the most part for that very reason. :)

I have 80 lbs of dry rock coming in. I think I will need to scape and play around a bit before landing on a concept, so decided to go dry rock for this one instead of maricultured live rock (though of course I do love my live rock).

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back