OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My UNS 45A has been battling dinos (specifically ostreopsis) on and off a few times now. This most recently bout was pretty bad. Check out the photo below from last week.
DSC08343-2.jpg

I typically fight them off with UV sterilizer, upping nitrates/phosphates, adding pods and phyto, but it usually takes a few weeks. Based on some discussions I had with another reefer on Instagram (@cristata.reef), I decided to dose iron after noticing I had no detectable iron in this tank (I used Brightwell Aquatics Ferrion for this purpose). After 4 days of dosing iron, all visible dinos are gone! Check out the after photo I took yesterday.
DSC08524.jpg

Supposedly the added iron helps the macroalgae better compete with the dinos, but I'm definitely no expert on this topic and don't want folks to construe this post to mean iron is the magic solve for dinos. So please do your own research and of course, individual results may vary.

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My UNS 45A has been battling dinos (specifically ostreopsis) on and off a few times now. This most recently bout was pretty bad. Check out the photo below from last week.
DSC08343-2.jpg

I typically fight them off with UV sterilizer, upping nitrates/phosphates, adding pods and phyto, but it usually takes a few weeks. Based on some discussions I had with another reefer on Instagram (@cristata.reef), I decided to dose iron after noticing I had no detectable iron in this tank (I used Brightwell Aquatics Ferrion for this purpose). After 4 days of dosing iron, all visible dinos are gone! Check out the after photo I took yesterday.
DSC08524.jpg

Supposedly the added iron helps the macroalgae better compete with the dinos, but I'm definitely no expert on this topic and don't want folks to construe this post to mean iron is the magic solve for dinos. So please do your own research and of course, individual results may vary.
Thanks for the shoutout!

OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying out something new. Re-did my UNS 60S to really showcase the mangroves in there that were just tucked away towards the back previously. I added an AI Prime HD Freshwater version over the mangroves to the right and an AI Prime HD Reef version to the left so I can add some coral as well. I plan to make this a Florida-specific "biotope" and include things you would find in Florida waters (at least that's my initial plan). Let me know what you think.

DSC09034.jpg

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying out something new. Re-did my UNS 60S to really showcase the mangroves in there that were just tucked away towards the back previously. I added an AI Prime HD Freshwater version over the mangroves to the right and an AI Prime HD Reef version to the left so I can add some coral as well. I plan to make this a Florida-specific "biotope" and include things you would find in Florida waters (at least that's my initial plan). Let me know what you think.

DSC09034.jpg
I think that looks really neat and is a very interesting plan! I hope to have mangroves on one end of my 125 reef, so I may be a bit partial to this look...
Are those air plants on the driftwood to the right? ...or bromeliads? Whatever they are, that makes a nice little display also.

OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that looks really neat and is a very interesting plan! I hope to have mangroves on one end of my 125 reef, so I may be a bit partial to this look...
Are those air plants on the driftwood to the right? ...or bromeliads? Whatever they are, that makes a nice little display also.
Thanks! And yes, air plants.

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
like the concept. Any ideas on what you might specifically be keeping in there?

-XENOMORPH-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on my UNS 5N. Been battling dinos in this tank for weeks. But I've finally gotten things under control after adjusting a bunch of things, but I'm going to add a UV sterilizer to finish them off once and for all as well. A few recent shots of this tank (pretty filled in now!).

Lot more halimeda in this tank. Trying to give it a different look than my other tanks with more rigid and delicate looking algae.
DSC05154.jpg

Hitchhiker ulva/sea lettuce.
DSC05159.jpg

Pretty centerpiece feather duster.
DSC05162.jpg

Coming together!
DSC05170.jpg
Is that neotherm set at 86 ? Are all ur macro tanks set at a higher temp?

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from macroalgae and maybe gorgonians, still up in the air.
seagrass...
Seagrass...
SEAGRASS!!!

Syringodium filiforme, Halodule wrightii, and Halophila engelmannii would probably do best with their low lighting requirements.

Also, have you considered adding a clingfish (not the Urchin clingfish)? LiveAquaria sells "Caribbean black clingfish" on Diver's Den occasionally (they're labeled as Arcos rubiginosus but I believe they are actually Stippled clingfish or Gobiesox punctulatus). Gulf Specimen Marine Lab also sells the related skilletfish, (Gobiesox strumosus). They can become quite tame but they might eat very small fish.

OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seagrass...
Seagrass...
SEAGRASS!!!

Syringodium filiforme, Halodule wrightii, and Halophila engelmannii would probably do best with their low lighting requirements.

Also, have you considered adding a clingfish (not the Urchin clingfish)? LiveAquaria sells "Caribbean black clingfish" on Diver's Den occasionally (they're labeled as Arcos rubiginosus but I believe they are actually Stippled clingfish or Gobiesox punctulatus). Gulf Specimen Marine Lab also sells the related skilletfish, (Gobiesox strumosus). They can become quite tame but they might eat very small fish.
seagrass would be really cool. great rec!

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The seagrass recommendation is interesting - i was told that you need a decent size (more than 1 sq foot) and depth (3" sandbed min for the shallowest species, more for others, and of course a good extra bit of depth - 10+ inches? - for it to grow.

@WheatToast is gour experience different? I'm Curious because I'd also be interested in a seagrass nano

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The seagrass recommendation is interesting - i was told that you need a decent size (more than 1 sq foot) and depth (3" sandbed min for the shallowest species, more for others, and of course a good extra bit of depth - 10+ inches? - for it to grow.

@WheatToast is gour experience different? I'm Curious because I'd also be interested in a seagrass nano
Another issue is my tank is only 7" tall. LOL.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

DSC09034.jpg

I don't know what's native to Florida, but I'm picturing a sort of minimalist desert scape with small balls of thicket type macro sparsely spread out up the slope like tumble weed. Something like gracilaria tikvahiae and patches of thick branched coraline. Maybe A few chunks of codium toward the top. Plenty of open space for some little hermit crabs to roam around. Maybe a pair of fire shrimp as well. They will stand out quite well.

OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what's native to Florida, but I'm picturing a sort of minimalist desert scape with small balls of thicket type macro sparsely spread out up the slope like tumble weed. Something like gracilaria tikvahiae and patches of thick branched coraline. Maybe A few chunks of codium toward the top. Plenty of open space for some little hermit crabs to roam around. Maybe a pair of fire shrimp as well. They will stand out quite well.
I think I'm ditching the Florida specific concept. LOL. I've actually added a bunch of additional macroalgae and a few new mangroves. I'll try to take some photos over the weekend and post them up.

I'm trying to go for beach vibes now with this tank. I'd like hermits since that seems like a quintessential beach inhabitant, but still trying to figure out what hermits I can keep safely with my macroalgae. I've noticed scarlets going for certain macroalgae, so probably no to that.

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm ditching the Florida specific concept. LOL. I've actually added a bunch of additional macroalgae and a few new mangroves. I'll try to take some photos over the weekend and post them up.

I'm trying to go for beach vibes now with this tank. I'd like hermits since that seems like a quintessential beach inhabitant, but still trying to figure out what hermits I can keep safely with my macroalgae. I've noticed scarlets going for certain macroalgae, so probably no to that.

Blue leg hermits are supposed to be safe. I'm thinking of getting some in my next reefcleaners order. They are like $0.60 each. Another thing that came to mind is that blue hypnea looks a lot better when viewed from above. You have quite a bit in your older tank. Maybe you could transfer some of it a get some more red in that other tank. Then you can give me some of the leftovers. Lol.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 49.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 44 51.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.6%
Back