time to get lights

jason.kennedy.98478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@EcoTech Marine and @Orphek its time for me to buy lights for my 120 gallon. orphek are supposed to be the best in the world and are spendy, but dont work with Apex and theres little data about them in english or the US. the Radion G4 pros look awesome based on propaganda but cost as much as orphek one you buy all the not included stuff to mount and make work. so convince me to buy you product. the peanut gallery may also chime in

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a budget in mind? Unlimited?

Are you DIY-capable? It doesn't have to be hard or expensive. :)

Are you only looking at spotlight-type lights? This would make sense if you only liked halides, for example.

I might have more suggestions with some more answers to those questions, but in the mean time, just based on your current targets, I'd say you need to consider Kessil and GHL as well.

OP
OP
jason.kennedy.98478

jason.kennedy.98478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DIY skill capable, yes. DIY time capable, no. Budget is like 1600 to 2000. My nano has a orbit marine pro. Grows LPS well and some SPS, wouldn't get the 48 inch version for the 120.

GHL could work never really looked at them cause I don't really like their controller

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still unclear as to what makes Orphek so good. I have seen few to no reviews. Little to no data. No ensdorsement by any industry insider s or heavy weights , no coral growers or sellers.

They seem to be only propelled by hype. So I'm curious too.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jason.kennedy.98478 The Orbit Pro is sort of a weird light to use on a nano since it's kinda oriented toward deep tanks and has such narrow-angle lenses. It does depend on the exact tank you're using and how you mounted it though.

A pair of them would be nice on a 24" deep tank, but I don't really know what your objection is...if you liked them as you appeared to on the old tank, the 120G would be a much better installation for them. From 2-4 strips depending on the intensity levels you're after....within your budget I think you could even consider 4 IC's instead of the Pro's....milder (90º) lenses, so side-coverage from reflected light ought to be better. If you're suspending the lights over the tank instead of resting on the tank trim, then the Pro's would be much better.

The other lights you're looking at so far are going to be dramatically different from the look of your present system. Cool if that's what you want, but I would not presume the lights you're looking at are "better". They are different. Make sure that's the "different" you are after. (Again, I don't know why you're switching or maybe I would have more/different observations.)

More info is needed, but so far I'd say lean toward Kessil out of the choices you've approved.

OP
OP
jason.kennedy.98478

jason.kennedy.98478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The orbit is a decent light it just has a couple short fallings imo. I want to grow some one the "high end" sps and not sure it can do it, the controller is great but I want to be able to do full seasonal lighting changes and moon phase simulation and finally I don't like how I have to remove the light from the tank to do anything in the tank. I think if I was doing am LPS and zoas tank they would be a good option.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back