Timer / Controller for BRS 2-Part Dosing pumps

Discussion in 'Bulk Reef Supply' started by DeepBlueSomething, Feb 22, 2018.

1. DeepBlueSomething

DeepBlueSomething Active Member Build Thread Contributor

I am looking into these more and more -- but am building out the hardware a few pieces at a time. A full fledged controller is out of the budget.

Is the recommendation still (from cheapest up):
    a) 2 - digital timers, one for each pump:
    • Any specific references that work best?
    b) DA - Reef Keeper Lite Basic (back-ordered currently)
    • Alternatives
    c) Controller mid level
    d) Controller full

Only looking to price / performance compare a) and b) for budgetary reasons currently.

Thanks

2. oceanslide

oceanslide Active Member

I’ve used the digital timers for my brs dosers, they defiantly work if you’re on a budget. Then I upgraded to the apex jr. After using the apex I would never use one of those timers again if i didn’t have to.

3. sonubhai

sonubhai Active Member

I would go with a reefkeeper lite, I have 2 of the dosers and hooked up to mine and they work like a champ. RKL is a no fuss controller you can pick up used ones from this site fairly inexpensive.

Zack@BRS likes this.
  4. Zack@BRS

Zack@BRS Active Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

If you already have the dosing pumps, the best budget option, and one I've used for years in the past, was a good quality outlet timer. Make sure you get one that can program in 1 minute increments; digital has worked best for me for this reason. Don't go too cheap, because these are controlling the dosing of a very critical and possibility volatile element in your aquarium.

My personal preference, even on a budget, would be to get a basic aquarium controller like the RKL. Ease of use, reliability, flexibility, expandability...so much ability!

A higher end controller like the Apex is great for many other reasons, but is by no means necessary to do 2 part dosing well. I would actually say the next step up from a RKL, purely from a dosing standpoint, would be a programmable dosing pump such as the GHL Doser 2.1 or Bubblemagus BM-T01/T11, but where they can only do dosing, the RKL can also function as a heater controller and lighting timer.

DeepBlueSomething likes this.
  5. DeepBlueSomething

DeepBlueSomething Active Member Build Thread Contributor

Thanks Zack. Now just need a RKL open box, or on sale and I am sold!

Draft saved Draft deleted