Timer / Controller for BRS 2-Part Dosing pumps

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

DeepBlueSomething

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking into these more and more -- but am building out the hardware a few pieces at a time. A full fledged controller is out of the budget.

Is the recommendation still (from cheapest up):
a) 2 - digital timers, one for each pump:
  • Any specific references that work best?
b) DA - Reef Keeper Lite Basic (back-ordered currently)
  • Alternatives
c) Controller mid level
d) Controller full

Only looking to price / performance compare a) and b) for budgetary reasons currently.

Thanks

oceanslide

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used the digital timers for my brs dosers, they defiantly work if you’re on a budget. Then I upgraded to the apex jr. After using the apex I would never use one of those timers again if i didn’t have to.

sonubhai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with a reefkeeper lite, I have 2 of the dosers and hooked up to mine and they work like a champ. RKL is a no fuss controller you can pick up used ones from this site fairly inexpensive.

Zack@BRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking into these more and more -- but am building out the hardware a few pieces at a time. A full fledged controller is out of the budget.

Is the recommendation still (from cheapest up):
a) 2 - digital timers, one for each pump:
  • Any specific references that work best?
b) DA - Reef Keeper Lite Basic (back-ordered currently)
  • Alternatives
c) Controller mid level
d) Controller full

Only looking to price / performance compare a) and b) for budgetary reasons currently.

Thanks

If you already have the dosing pumps, the best budget option, and one I've used for years in the past, was a good quality outlet timer. Make sure you get one that can program in 1 minute increments; digital has worked best for me for this reason. Don't go too cheap, because these are controlling the dosing of a very critical and possibility volatile element in your aquarium.

My personal preference, even on a budget, would be to get a basic aquarium controller like the RKL. Ease of use, reliability, flexibility, expandability...so much ability!

A higher end controller like the Apex is great for many other reasons, but is by no means necessary to do 2 part dosing well. I would actually say the next step up from a RKL, purely from a dosing standpoint, would be a programmable dosing pump such as the GHL Doser 2.1 or Bubblemagus BM-T01/T11, but where they can only do dosing, the RKL can also function as a heater controller and lighting timer.

OP
OP
DeepBlueSomething

DeepBlueSomething

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you already have the dosing pumps, the best budget option, and one I've used for years in the past, was a good quality outlet timer. Make sure you get one that can program in 1 minute increments; digital has worked best for me for this reason. Don't go too cheap, because these are controlling the dosing of a very critical and possibility volatile element in your aquarium.

My personal preference, even on a budget, would be to get a basic aquarium controller like the RKL. Ease of use, reliability, flexibility, expandability...so much ability!

A higher end controller like the Apex is great for many other reasons, but is by no means necessary to do 2 part dosing well. I would actually say the next step up from a RKL, purely from a dosing standpoint, would be a programmable dosing pump such as the GHL Doser 2.1 or Bubblemagus BM-T01/T11, but where they can only do dosing, the RKL can also function as a heater controller and lighting timer.

Thanks Zack. Now just need a RKL open box, or on sale and I am sold!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back