Tiny algae on the glass

Max Rackstraw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other day i noticed these tiny green/brown strands of what i assume to be algae on the glass of my new tank under only the lit up side (one side does not have a light over it yet).

1661938973753.png

The tank has been running for almost exactly one month in total and only 6 days with a light on one side.

The tank was setup with all the live rock from my old tank placed into the sump and a liquid bacteria additive to increase the bacteria population.

Since i first noticed this, they have became much more noticeable, so much so that i thought i would take a look at them with a magnifying glass. Here is a picture:

FAFCFF57-1D94-4C5E-8473-43ECF7ED56A4.jpeg

Since there are small copepods moving around on the glass near to these, I am assuming these are diatoms (I believe copepods eat diatoms).

This is my first time trying to identify an algal species other than cyanobacteria and green hair algae... So im interested in hearing everyone's opinions!

9D21986D-3A54-417E-A6FF-5EBB3CA35799.jpeg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other day i noticed these tiny green/brown strands of what i assume to be algae on the glass of my new tank under only the lit up side (one side does not have a light over it yet).

1661938973753.png

The tank has been running for almost exactly one month in total and only 6 days with a light on one side.

The tank was setup with all the live rock from my old tank placed into the sump and a liquid bacteria additive to increase the bacteria population.

Since i first noticed this, they have became much more noticeable, so much so that i thought i would take a look at them with a magnifying glass. Here is a picture:

FAFCFF57-1D94-4C5E-8473-43ECF7ED56A4.jpeg

Since there are small copepods moving around on the glass near to these, I am assuming these are diatoms (I believe copepods eat diatoms).

This is my first time trying to identify an algal species other than cyanobacteria and green hair algae... So im interested in hearing everyone's opinions!

9D21986D-3A54-417E-A6FF-5EBB3CA35799.jpeg
Diatoms a microscopic algae which are too small to see with a magnifying glass. This could be the start of a larger filamentous algae.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back