ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

Be Nice to Coral-Nippers!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To recap:

Reef Tank (Goal is SPS, will start with easier then progress)

Tank Size/Dimensions:

Acrylic

120”x48”x36” or 48”... still on the fence here, waiting for the quote to be finalized :cool:

Lighting:

4 Hamilton Cozumel Sun 400W MH Pendants
8 XHO LED Strips

Filtration & Equipment:

Dual Overflow w/ Sump(s)
MRC Skimmer
Chiller
Avast Ozone Reactor
AquaUV UV Reactor
Avast Ca RX

****Flow: >>> Need Some Help Finalizing This Design So I Can Tell Them Where To Drill The Tank<<<

Closed Loop w/ Oceans Motion 6-Way, ??? Pump (I’m not sure how much GPH flow I need here, will be located under tank in stand) + 1 (or 2?) drain bulkhead(s).
- 6 Bulkheads (3 on each end for alternating horizontal flow from OM)

Gyres on back wall for circular flow; idea is to bring O2-rich surface water down from surface and pull back through rockwork.

2 Sea Swirls, one on each corner for dual returns to throw some random diagonal currents in there.

Automation:

100% want AWC station ( will have to be creative with where to put it)
Leaning towards GHL - From what I’ve seen by stalking through my LFS their products just seem better built and less ”chintzy”. The user interface definitely seems less intuitive, but I’m good with that trade off.

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG-0110.jpg

Plan on picking up a few pieces of equipment every week or so to keep the excitement alive!!! I mean, it's been over a year since this process started... so what're a few more months eh?

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's exciting!! Did you decide on final dimensions?
Yeah I decided on 36” tall. REALLY wanted that 4 ft depth but it more than doubled the price so had to pass.

I’m sure it’ll be more than enough once it actually gets here LoL.

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to do aquarium maintenance professionally, to be frank, this height and width is going to be a nightmare to service. i wouldn’t go any taller than 36”.

Luckily I’ve got an impressive wingspan and a snorkel

In the end I did settle on 36” tall though

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO-DI.jpg

So this came today... it's a little bigger than I had anticipated. This is one part of this build that I can't quite figure out, the AWC and where to put it. Would this equipment be okay in a sheltered location outside? Or would FL heat and humidity ruin it?

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you mount them in a closed outside like Rubbermaid container you would use for lawn care equipment of pool stuff than ya I think it would be ok. Garage or indoors better. Like a laundry room or wash room.
D

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you mount them in a closed outside like Rubbermaid container you would use for lawn care equipment of pool stuff than ya I think it would be ok. Garage or indoors better. Like a laundry room or wash room.
D

Yeah, I just don't see how I'll be able to get away with mounting indoors... in the laundry room, the water access is behind the washer/dryer, so not sustainable. Was thinking outdoors would be great as long as the heat/humidity don't ruin the resins.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO-DI.jpg

So this came today... it's a little bigger than I had anticipated. This is one part of this build that I can't quite figure out, the AWC and where to put it. Would this equipment be okay in a sheltered location outside? Or would FL heat and humidity ruin it?
RO/DI is less efficient in high temps IIRC.

I keep my system in my garage in Texas and when I open the garage doors I get condensation on everything but that’s the worse of it.

I use a booster bump to take 60PSI up to 80-90 and I highly recommend that to improve efficiency and filter life.

I use 2 stackable 50g drums I purchased on Amazon. I love them. The top is saltwater and the bottom is fresh. I mix saltwater every 30 days (or so) and have no issues with salinity swings due to evaporation. The water temp is around 83f but since it’s added so slowly over the day it doesn’t affect temps in the tank.

I mix with a Vectra pump (L2 maybe)? It’s silent and doesn’t give off a lot of heat for the water it moves. I’d avoid cheap AC power heads.

Depending on the aesthetic rules of your wife and HOA, I would get a small plastic or wood tool shed and put it in an inconspicuous place along the side of my house on or near a spigot. They have ones that only stick out 36” or so and have double doors.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO/DI is less efficient in high temps IIRC.

I keep my system in my garage in Texas and when I open the garage doors I get condensation on everything but that’s the worse of it.

I use a booster bump to take 60PSI up to 80-90 and I highly recommend that to improve efficiency and filter life.

I use 2 stackable 50g drums I purchased on Amazon. I love them. The top is saltwater and the bottom is fresh. I mix saltwater every 30 days (or so) and have no issues with salinity swings due to evaporation. The water temp is around 83f but since it’s added so slowly over the day it doesn’t affect temps in the tank.

I mix with a Vectra pump (L2 maybe)? It’s silent and doesn’t give off a lot of heat for the water it moves. I’d avoid cheap AC power heads.

Depending on the aesthetic rules of your wife and HOA, I would get a small plastic or wood tool shed and put it in an inconspicuous place along the side of my house on or near a spigot. They have ones that only stick out 36” or so and have double doors.
I wanted to add that I found these neat little flood monitors that will turn off a solenoid once a water level is reached. These + a wifi or z-wave timer means my ATO barrel automatically fills on Wednesday and Sunday. The whole system is automated and will work until I run out of resin without any intervention.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back