TIPS ON TANK TRANSFER

Schmitty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im gonna go from a 29gallon biocube to a 40gallon IM Nuvo tank hopefully this weekend. Wanting to keep most of my current coral, live rock and fish, clean up crew etc... any tips? Im planning on getting 7-8 5g buckets and putting my current wanter without disturbing the sand in as many buckets, then putting live rock in one, and corals in a couple and fish in one. Gonna buy new sand and a few new rocks to make the aquascape new and fresh and then dip all of the current corals and live rocks to hopefully get rid of any hitchhikers that may be in the current tank. THoughts?

JOE_2217

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always like to get the new tanks up and running before I transfer anything. That way you can make sure everything is running good before you make the switch. If you want, you can do a water change with the old tank water. No matter how hard you try, the new tank will not be the same as the old one, especially if it is a really mature tank. I always advise as much patience as possible. Good luck!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with Joe
I would also recommend curing new rock before using even if you have plenty of filtration. I added a big 20"+ piece of Tonga shelf rock after my move and have fought hair algae almost exclusively on that rock.

OP
OP
Schmitty

Schmitty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got the tank and stand and am gonna pick up 20lbs of cured rock to lay down with new sand... then Ill move over select pieces of my current live rock and fish and corals last... Im trying to be optimistic but either way its gonna be great to have a fresh new vibe with more water and space...

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got the tank and stand and am gonna pick up 20lbs of cured rock to lay down with new sand... then Ill move over select pieces of my current live rock and fish and corals last... Im trying to be optimistic but either way its gonna be great to have a fresh new vibe with more water and space...
It is better if you can move things more slowly. For example, set up new tank with new rocks (if desired) and sand, let it run for a week or two, move over 1 or 2 pieces of rock and some cuc, wait a week, move a fish and more rock/cuc, etc. It gives the system a little bit more stability, so if you have the time and patience I would definitely try to do it that way. Obviously it doesn't work if the tank is going in the same spot, though.

OP
OP
Schmitty

Schmitty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made 15 gallons of salt water last night and have the new rocks in a Brute with water circulating... This weekend begins the journey

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 48 55.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back