TJ's 40B Build

tcannon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm buying and adding as I go. We are moving in two weeks and I won't fill the tank up till then. Also want to repaint the stand and maybe update the hardware.

Right now it's the 40B, Lid, AC110 HOB and a 425GPH Nano Sicce Powerhead. I plan on adding a HOB Skimmer once I'm cycled and actually have a bioload to worry about. Still really confused on which one I want but I feel I have a short list from reading on here. REEF octopus, Eshopps, Aquamaxx 1.5 are in the running at this time. Need one more Powerhead and I'm not sure which to get.

It's going to be Fowlr for at least 6 months so maybe I can get away with one powerhead for the time being. But a local guy has live rock for really reasonable prices so I'll add 40lbs at minimum and a 1-2" CaribSea substrate . Hope to have it up and cycling in 3-4 so I can add fish around October/November. I'm only adding a pair of clowns at that point and will wait another month or two before adding anything else.

Lighting will be something I take my time deciding on what to get. I plan on easy/simple corals mainly for some color and motion. So from what I've seen a really high end light isn't as crucial but I want to buy once cry once in case I want to upgrade.

So here's to the fall and the fun to follow .

20180802_195935.jpg

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like you're off to a good start. Do you live in an area that will require a heater? 40 breeders are a great size whether you be a new reefer or just someone looking for a really manageable size.

OP
OP
T

tcannon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you're off to a good start. Do you live in an area that will require a heater? 40 breeders are a great size whether you be a new reefer or just someone looking for a really manageable size.

I actually have a heater for the tank. I forgot to mention that. I'll add a second most likely as a redundancy.

OP
OP
T

tcannon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recommendations for the skimmer out of the three I posted? Just curious. I've done a lot of reading and I just need help pushing myself over the edge with the decision. Lol

Also outside of Ecotech Powerheads any suggestions for a second unit on a 40B?

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice plan. Consider an ATO too. Auto top off. I love my gyre if you want to consider researching an alternative to a traditional powerhead.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That won't be Overkill for a 40B?

The gyre? I have the IceCap 1k in a JBJ 45 Flat Panel and it is great. A 40 breeder is longer by about 21” so I would think a gyre in a long tank would be perfect. Maybe even the 3k for that length, not sure. For a FOWLR it may not matter really, but perhaps worth checking out.

OP
OP
T

tcannon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gyre? I have the IceCap 1k in a JBJ 45 Flat Panel and it is great. A 40 breeder is longer by about 21” so I would think a gyre in a long tank would be perfect. Maybe even the 3k for that length, not sure. For a FOWLR it may not matter really, but perhaps worth checking out.

Yeah the Gyre. I thought it might be to much. I'll have to check it out.

OP
OP
T

tcannon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm likely just adding a good Powerhead for now and then will upgrade it down the road when it's more clear what I would need or want. I think I'll run the tank for 2-3 months without a light, skimmer or fish. Let it settle in real nice and then add a pair of clowns and a light. See how my numbers look after a month or two and contemplate a skimmer at that point if necessary. Then maybe add another smaller nano tank fish and run with 3-4 fish for a few months as my tank becomes mature and established.

Dan_K1309

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi, just purchased the 1K for our 50 gallon 36” long tank. How is yours working out for you? We get ours in Monday. Is it easy to program? Tank looks great.

Thanks
Dan

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

• A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • Neither.

• Other.

Back