To prevent overflow aka flood from sump or DT

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking to add an optical sensor and connect it to FMM Apex module. Should I place it below water line just in case if something blocking the overflow in the DT to prevent water to come down to the sump thus equal flooding?

claus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wired a float switch just above the water line in the back of the weir in the dt. If for some reason the standpipe plugs and more water enters the dt than drains out, the float switch activates and turns the main pump off. I deferred the start up of the main pump for about 10 min to prevent constant on/off (hysteresis). It also triggers an audible alarm and sends an email alert. (using apex).

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I two both above the water, one in my sump above the waterline when I stop to feed and one hiding in my display

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You both used float switch? Why not optical sensor? Do float switches connect to FMM?

claus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a float switch (connected to a breakout box) because it is just above the water line in back of the weir and water going through the overflow may splatter a bit. Having a physical float switch instead of an optical sensor may be a better solution (if placed above the waterline) to prevent unwanted sensor activation from splatter etc. I do clean the switch once a month by simply pouring rodi water over it with a turkey baster to remove the minimal salt creep that develops.

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t want to have to buy the break out box module as I have one empty slot on my Neptune FMM. Can I use optic sensor and FMM to do what I want to do?

claus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't recommend it. Placing the sensor in the sump, it would have to be below the waterline, causing possible problems with evaporation and or an ATO. Placing it in the display tank, it would have to be mounted above the waterline causing problems with activation from splatter etc.

claus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, you can buy them from any major on-line store. They have different styles and mounting options. They usually run anywhere from 5-20 dollars.

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, you can buy them from any major on-line store. They have different styles and mounting options. They usually run anywhere from 5-20 dollars.

How do you mount it? It seems that the one that comes with mounting device cost double.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 90 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back