TO Rinse, Or Not To Rinse

bayoupr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always rinsed my frozen food ( Mysis and brine shrimp cubes) in a very fine meshed net with warm water and wonder if this is a waste of time considering most of the frozen foods these days are fairly clean of any un-wanted stuff. I noticed on some Rods Food I got recently they recommend not to rinse their product. They claim by rinsing you are actually removing a lot of the good? Any thoughts or opinions on this subject.

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever since I started using LRS frenzy foods, I do not rinse. The cup with water and LRS frozen food also does not look oily like I have seen in the past with other frozen foods. They obviously keep their food well rinsed and very nutritious.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never rinsed before reading Randys article about po4 in the reef aquarium that says rinsing does no good. I was lzy before the article reinforced what Id been only lucky in choosing to avoid.

OP
OP
bayoupr

bayoupr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never rinsed before reading Randys article about po4 in the reef aquarium that says rinsing does no good. I was lzy before the article reinforced what Id been only lucky in choosing to avoid.
I just read Randy's article on this. While he states the fact that frozen foods contain phosphates for preservatives, he really doesn't stress upon rinsing. I know a lot of flake food and pellets contain some phosphates also but we don't rinse these. When I get in from offshore I am going to compare the amount of phosphates in my frozen to my dry foods. I have a feeling there might not be much difference. It is a interesting article, thanks.

joshkirkland83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that LRS are rinsed and frozen with RODI water. You should check and see if RODs are done the same way. Anything else i rinse, my fish and corals are growing out of control.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back