To skim or not to skim, that is the question.

InspectorGadget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you can see in the title, that is my main question but, here is the background behind it:

Up until last night, my main sps tank was a 40 gallon acrylic setup with sump and a Tunze Comline DOC 9004 DC skimmer. Worked great. I woke up yesterday morning to see a start of a 2” long separation in the middle of the bottom seam on one side of the tank. Only 1/8” of acrylic was left before water would start leaking all over my floor. I look at my tank every day so this had to be very recent. In a panic I spent the next 12 hours wiring, plumbing and preparing water for my Nuvo 20 I got for Christmas. I was able to move all my sps frags and my fish over to the Nuvo 20. I also moved almost an entire box of ceramic biomedia spheres I had in the 40, into the 20. Today I went and purchased 15 lbs of real reef rock 2.0 from my LFS for my rock work. I had my Tunze skimmer in the side of the tank to help but had to remove it today to fit the rock. Sorry for the book but I like to give more information than not enough. One side of the overflow on the Nuvo 20 I have chaeto with a chaetomax light. The other side I run BRS ROX .8 carbon. Do I really need a skimmer? On my 40 it was so hard to have any nitrates or phosphates to a point where I was about to dose nitrates. Is it worth trying to find a skimmer that would fit or is all of this overkill anyways? This tank will be just like my 40 as an sps dominant.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, Your new tank is a 20 gallon?

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back