OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had an AZ Frag meeting today. I love our meeting format -- it is two hours. We meet for an hour and then the last hour, we have an auction for frags that members bring along for sale. I picked up a few zoas -- for my garden which will be amazing a year from now. ;)

Last edited:

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I’d never have my ATO hooked up directly to the RO/DI. I only use a ten gallon container so even if the ATO was stuck on it couldn’t overflow the sump. Glad it didn’t turn out worse. My LFS has a similar issue recently. They didn’t catch it till the tanks salinity was down to 1.011

OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I’d never have my ATO hooked up directly to the RO/DI. I only use a ten gallon container so even if the ATO was stuck on it couldn’t overflow the sump. Glad it didn’t turn out worse. My LFS has a similar issue recently. They didn’t catch it till the tanks salinity was down to 1.011
I'm learning more and more as I move along in this hobby.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in constant angst over the whole buy cheaper online or spend more at my lfs. Well, this weekend my lfs had a 40% off UV sterilizers sale. It was still more than a major online competitor, but only by about $25. I'm thrilled. I want to keep my local store in business. I opened it today and it is super freaking huge. (My husband and I have already gone through all the suggestive/low brow jokes.) I'm busy trying to figure out how to hook this thing up. Perhaps a bigger tank? ;)
UV Sterilizer.jpg

I love those. Ran one forever on my 90, then 180. There are simple and effective

I will mention after a while in use the internal reflectors corroded in mine. I found a few threads on it. It never caused me a problem but could not hurt to clean during maintenance

OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love those. Ran one forever on my 90, then 180. There are simple and effective

I will mention after a while in use the internal reflectors corroded in mine. I found a few threads on it. It never caused me a problem but could not hurt to clean during maintenance
Thanks @Mastiffsrule ! I'll make sure I do just that. :)

OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have to start a religion specifically to pray to the UV Sterilizer gods. Since I installed mine two days ago, I haven't had to scrape my tank glass once. It was task I did every single morning. The tank is clear and it makes me happy.

OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a Libra (I am far from an astrology chic), but stereo-typically, we are indecisive. Now I've been this way since birth, and although I'm certain it has nothing to do with being born at the end of September, it is fun to joke about. My biggest problem with being on this forum is myself. By nature, I'm an indecisive person. I read opinions, and then I read opposite opinions, and all seems confusing to me -- so I'm uncertain what is the right thing to do. I've decided today, that my decisions about my tank are my own. I'm no longer worrying about what is right, wrong, or who thinks ill of me. I'm making decisions on my own research and following people on this forum who's opinions I respect. I suddenly feel empowered. What I'm guessing is happening here, is that I'm moving out of "newbie" status and starting to form my own ideas based on what I have learned and experienced. This is an exciting new chapter in my personal reefing hobby. Also...thank you to everyone who has been ever so helpful.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a Libra (I am far from an astrology chic), but stereo-typically, we are indecisive. Now I've been this way since birth, and although I'm certain it has nothing to do with being born at the end of September, it is fun to joke about. My biggest problem with being on this forum is myself. By nature, I'm an indecisive person. I read opinions, and then I read opposite opinions, and all seems confusing to me -- so I'm uncertain what is the right thing to do. I've decided today, that my decisions about my tank are my own. I'm no longer worrying about what is right, wrong, or who thinks ill of me. I'm making decisions on my own research and following people on this forum who's opinions I respect. I suddenly feel empowered. What I'm guessing is happening here, is that I'm moving out of "newbie" status and starting to form my own ideas based on what I have learned and experienced. This is an exciting new chapter in my personal reefing hobby. Also...thank you to everyone who has been ever so helpful.
My favorite post all day! Congratulations!

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! It’s a good feeling when things click and confidence rises. Analysis paralysis has gotten me a few times when starting out they said yes they say no arrrgh what should I do....
I’m still gonna hold on to my noobie status tho will give me something to blame if/when I screw up lol

OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! It’s a good feeling when things click and confidence rises. Analysis paralysis has gotten me a few times when starting out they said yes they say no arrrgh what should I do....
I’m still gonna hold on to my noobie status tho will give me something to blame if/when I screw up lol
@Raege you are far from a newbie. But like me, we have lots to learn. I hope we can do it together. :)

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. One suggestion though, consider adding a riser to your stand if your sump and other equipment is going under the tank. Those prebuilt stands are usually really low and you may struggle to get things to fit under like your skimmer ect.
#protip

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Raege you are far from a newbie. But like me, you have lots to learn.
Very true but I think we’ve both learned the one most important thing in reefing. Never stop learning always try to be better ( ok two things lol).
Who we are today is not who we were before nor who we will be tomorrow. I’m glad to be on this journey with you and the rest of the saltaholics on R2R.

OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very true but I think we’ve both learned the one most important thing in reefing. Never stop learning always try to be better ( ok two things lol).
Who we are today is not who we were before nor who we will be tomorrow. I’m glad to be on this journey with you and the rest of the saltaholics on R2R.
I changed what I wrote while you were replying. I changed it to "we" have lots to learn. I love your build thread -- you are doing amazing things and you are honest about the the celebrations and the worries. Your tank is beautiful. I always enjoy reading the new @Raege update.

OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the biggest thing I have learned in my return to reefing is when in doubt, or indecisive, do nothing. Trust the tank to figure it out.
Nature works it out on its own. :)

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hell, yes.
Post of the year (so far).

On a side note, we are all indecisive when it comes to reefing.
There is nobody on this and all other forums that knows 100% of what he is doing. Ha!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hell, yes.
Post of the year (so far).

On a side note, we are all indecisive when it comes to reefing.
There is nobody on this and all other forums that is 100% of what he is doing. Ha!
Thanks Jan!

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest problem with being on this forum is myself. By nature, I'm an indecisive person. I read opinions, and then I read opposite opinions, and all seems confusing to me -- so I'm uncertain what is the right thing to do.

I was not sure if I was going to post this, but then I saw everyone else was so I was going to. But then I had to think about it again. What if someone decided not to reply? Finally I decided I will hit post reply. After I think about it some more.

Ah, what the heck..

upload_2019-5-24_14-16-33.gif

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 71 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 67 28.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 50 21.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back