Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of ATO do you have???
It's a DIY set up. I used the float that came with my sump and we rigged it up to an RODI unit that is attached to our irrigation system -- the discarded water leads out to water one of our citrus trees. (We live in a desert and shouldn't waste water. :)) When the water gets low, it turns on the RODI system and fills the sump. We still aren't sure what happened or why it didn't turn off. It has been working perfectly for months.

OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear you are ok, Tonya and the problem was found.
I hope the ATO did not change too much in salinity to scare the coral.
Thanks, Jan! The salinity didn't drop too bad. I caught it early enough. I was home so it wasn't running for too long. I'm just glad I wasn't at work or away for the weekend.

OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Friday afternoons are water change day. While I was carrying my protein skimmer container to the sink for its weekly washing, I tripped and spilled Reef Octopus stew all over the floor, cabinets, and anything that has a surface. I'll be busy with bleach tonight.

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Friday afternoons are water change day. While I was carrying my protein skimmer container to the sink for its weekly washing, I tripped and spilled Reef Octopus stew all over the floor, cabinets, and anything that has a surface. I'll be busy with bleach tonight.
You have had a cpl rough tank days :( I prescribe a Vodka Gimlet to get your weekend back on track ;)

OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in constant angst over the whole buy cheaper online or spend more at my lfs. Well, this weekend my lfs had a 40% off UV sterilizers sale. It was still more than a major online competitor, but only by about $25. I'm thrilled. I want to keep my local store in business. I opened it today and it is super freaking huge. (My husband and I have already gone through all the suggestive/low brow jokes.) I'm busy trying to figure out how to hook this thing up. Perhaps a bigger tank? ;)
UV Sterilizer.jpg

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in constant angst over the whole buy cheaper online or spend more at my lfs. Well, this weekend my lfs had a 40% off UV sterilizers sale. It was still more than a major online competitor, but only by about $25. I'm thrilled. I want to keep my local store in business. I opened it today and it is super freaking huge. (My husband and I have already gone through all the suggestive/low brow jokes.) I'm busy trying to figure out how to hook this thing up. Perhaps a bigger tank? ;)
UV Sterilizer.jpg
Hmmm that sterilizer looks like it could handle a 400 gallon tank easy. Might as well upgrade to get the most out of the new purchase :)

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. One suggestion though, consider adding a riser to your stand if your sump and other equipment is going under the tank. Those prebuilt stands are usually really low and you may struggle to get things to fit under like your skimmer ect.
Brilliant advice I wish I had gotten before setting up my tank!

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Walked in the the family room where my tank lives and there was water all over the floor. I go look and the sump was overflowing. While I was digging around trying to determine the root of the problem, the outlet strip fell down into the water and everything went dark. So I now get to spend the next few hours fixing the problem -- which I'm still not certain what. Sigh.
O m g this sounds like everyone’s worst nightmare. It is mine at least.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, we managed to put a temporary band-aid on the tank. There were two problems...
  1. The ATO malfunctioned and kept adding water from my RODI unit. Eventually, the sump started over flowing. I'm going to have to top off the tank manually until we get the replacement. It will be sometime this week because filling the tanks is at the top of my dislike list.
  2. I am lucky we installed a GFCI outlet when we were setting up the tank. When the power strip was knocked in the water, it took a millisecond for the the outlet to shut down. I'm not saying I would have died -- but I definitely wouldn't have liked it. Especially since I since I was standing in a puddle of water. The timers to the lights ended up fried, so for the meantime, I'll have to turn the lights on and off manually. Everything turned out okay.
shocked.gif

Hearing about this made me very anxious for you, I'm glad it wasn't a complete disaster.

What kind of floor were you standing on in water? If hardwood, tile, etc you probably would have been ok.
Standing on a concrete basement floor with a metal floor drain, though, it could definitely have killed you without a gfci.
All it has to do is pass through your heart, generate an arrhythmia which changes to v fib, and you're done.

OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel exactly the same about my store bought stand. Why do they make them so short?!
I'm sure it has something to do with "industry standards" and if it looks "different" it won't sell as well. I'm sure there has been an entire statistical analysis done about this somewhere. ;)

OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hearing about this made me very anxious for you, I'm glad it wasn't a complete disaster.

What kind of floor were you standing on in water? If hardwood, tile, etc you probably would have been ok.
Standing on a concrete basement floor with a metal floor drain, though, it could definitely have killed you without a gfci.
All it has to do is pass through your heart, generate an arrhythmia which changes to v fib, and you're done.
We have a tile floor -- I'm I'm genuinely glad we installed the gfci. I'd like to think I have quite a few more decades in this hobby and it doesn't do me any good to be cooked by bad electricity decisions. I too am glad this worked out. Thanks @rkpetersen .

mrjoev

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salty Lemon. Here is our 210 and my wife inside polishing the tank. 65 to the right 4 months old. The stand sits at 45" high, used 2x6 and 2x8, pocket holes, glue, and sealed everything. I'm going to wrap it and put fancy moulding etc the next time i'm not offshore. I need to start a build thread. yours has been very helpful!!!
WhatsApp Image 2019-05-10 at 9.58.18 AM.jpeg

OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salty Lemon. Here is our 210 and my wife inside polishing the tank. 65 to the right 4 months old. The stand sits at 45" high, used 2x6 and 2x8, pocket holes, glue, and sealed everything. I'm going to wrap it and put fancy moulding etc the next time i'm not offshore. I need to start a build thread. yours has been very helpful!!!
WhatsApp Image 2019-05-10 at 9.58.18 AM.jpeg
Wow! It is going to be gorgeous! I can't wait for your build thread! I'll love to follow.

OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV Sterilizer is installed. The size smaller was up to 250 gallons and if you include my sump, it would be right around there. So we went with the size bigger, which will pretty much cover -- well a whole bunch of gallons. The Coralife Turbo Twist doesn't have the highest rating on Amazon, but it is the best I can do for now. Fingers are crossed.

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV Sterilizer is installed. The size smaller was up to 250 gallons and if you include my sump, it would be right around there. So we went with the size bigger, which will pretty much cover -- well a whole bunch of gallons. The Coralife Turbo Twist doesn't have the highest rating on Amazon, but it is the best I can do for now. Fingers are crossed.
Interested to see how this does for you. I have a coralife up that came with the Craig’s list purchase but have not used it as of yet as it probably needs a new bulb and still iffy on results it would give.
Ps what’s your address trying to send my new corals to avoid spoilers to endgame ;)

HAVE YOU EVER EXPERIENCED A TANK EMERGENCY? SHARE YOUR STORY IN THE COMMENTS!

• Unfortunately, yes.

Votes: 39 66.1%
  • Thankfully, no.

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • Other (pleas explain).

Votes: 3 5.1%
Back