Tonya's 210 Gallon

Lissa1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a bicolor blenny named "Benny" too, so apparently we aren't that creative either. :) Let me know how swapping out that pump goes. Mine is noisier than I would like and I'm going to be on a quest to find a quieter one.
I have a Midas named Benny...

OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was not sure if I was going to post this, but then I saw everyone else was so I was going to. But then I had to think about it again. What if someone decided not to reply? Finally I decided I will hit post reply. After I think about it some more.

Ah, what the heck..

upload_2019-5-24_14-16-33.gif
;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm someone picked up zoas recently at a AZ frag swap I think but I can’t remember who it was cause I didn’t see any pictures :(
You are good...and evil. I'll have some photos momentarily. ;)

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I’m not sure if I’m a “good” bad guy or a “bad” good guy but Evil Genius that has a nice ring to it :cool:
And ty for indulging my zoa picture habit. I award you 20 R2R awesome points!

OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I’m not sure if I’m a “good” bad guy or a “bad” good guy but Evil Genius that has a nice ring to it :cool:
And ty for indulging my zoa picture habit. I award you 20 R2R awesome points!
My husband and two sons are "evil geniuses", so it all makes sense. Here you go. :)
zoa may 19.jpg
green zoa may 19.jpg
purple zoa May 19.jpg

OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My husband and two sons are "evil geniuses", so it all makes sense. Here you go. :)
zoa may 19.jpg
green zoa may 19.jpg
purple zoa May 19.jpg
My zoa garden is starting to take off. I'll make certain to glue some more frags and add a picture soon. At first I thought they were an easy coral -- now I think they are gorgeous and completely worth it.

OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah... heater exploded. Time to go shopping. :mad:

Ocean Floor...I'm not trying to get bossy, but tomorrow at 9:30 AM (sharp) when I get my weekend sales/deals list email, there better be decent heaters on there. ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. Shots fired!
No decent heaters on sale, but I picked up a Cobalt. I'm feeling a little ashamed of myself. After I declared myself no longer in "newbie" status, I went against my gut and listened to the sales staff. He said all I needed for a tank my size with this new heater was a 300 watt. But it says right on the box that it was good up to 60 gallons. My Jager was also a 300 watt, but it was up to 280 gallons (or something close to that). The sales associate says the Cobalt will handle my tank and sump no problem. I just can't get over what it says on the box. Anyone out there have suggestions? Anyone use Cobalt before?

U

User1

View Badges
No decent heaters on sale, but I picked up a Cobalt. I'm feeling a little ashamed of myself. After I declared myself no longer in "newbie" status, I went against my gut and listened to the sales staff. He said all I needed for a tank my size with this new heater was a 300 watt. But it says right on the box that it was good up to 60 gallons. My Jager was also a 300 watt, but it was up to 280 gallons (or something close to that). The sales associate says the Cobalt will handle my tank and sump no problem. I just can't get over what it says on the box. Anyone out there have suggestions? Anyone use Cobalt before?

I've not used them. My daughter has in her planted tank and when I mentioned this to her she said they work well and she hasn't had any issues. However, that isn't really answering your question though...

While summer is coming and it may not be an issue - and I think you are South of me in Arizona so it really probably doesn't matter unless you are what, in Flagstaff (snows there right? I forget), anyway I would double it up if you are running a lower wattage. I wouldn't want a single unit under powered running more or turning on/off cycling more. I would worry. If you had a pair they may work better or smoother I guess - consistent.

There are a couple of good threads or articles I think I've come across that says how to run redundant heaters, their respected settings, etc. Again, not sure if that is helping here. I went with the Finnix titanium deal and it seems to be working ok for me.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening, hope all is well as usual

I was not sure if I missed it, was it a glass Jager that blew. I don’t know if you can return the one you bought, but if you can I would return it and switch to a Ranco controller and titanium heater. It may be a bit more but not too much. It will save money long term if compared to replacing a heater every so often. I installed same set up 11 years ago in my tank. Never touched it since, other than wipe the titanium clean.

Those glass ones scare me. Too many chances for glass to break.

And I am already scared enough as it is. My cat scares me, shouldn’t it be opposite?

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use dual 150 Watt Cobalt heaters for redundancy on my tank. The 300 Watt Cobalt is exactly the same. Two 150 Watt heaters. As far as quality I like them a lot and have had zero issues.

I go by this, 25 watts of heater for every 10 degrees of room temperature per 10 gallons of actual saltwater raised in temperature. .

EXAMPLE: If your home is 70 degrees and you have a 210 gallon aquarium, to reach a temperature of 80 degrees you would need a 525 watt heater.

FWIW, I only need one 150 Watt heater in my 45 gallon with 35 gallons of saltwater. After being burned by heaters I always run two full size. I run them on an Ink Bird controller which I feel increases their life. In my experience, the thermostat is what usually fails for heaters in general.

Last edited:

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use dual 150 Watt Cobalt heaters for redundancy on my tank. The 300 Watt Cobalt is exactly the same. Two 150 Watt heaters. As far as quality I like them a lot and have had zero issues.

I go by this, 25 watts of heater for every 10 degrees of room temperature per 10 gallons of actual saltwater raised in temperature. .

EXAMPLE: If your home is 70 degrees and you have a 210 gallon aquarium, to reach a temperature of 80 degrees you would need a 525 watt heater.

FWIW, I only need one 150 Watt heater. After being burned by heaters I always run two full size. I run them on an Ink Bird controller which I feel increases their life. In my experience, the thermostat is what usually fails.
+1 on this One of best things I picked up from Brian’s thread redundant heaters and controller. The inkbird on two heaters keeps the temp swings to less than .4 degrees.

OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening, hope all is well as usual

I was not sure if I missed it, was it a glass Jager that blew. I don’t know if you can return the one you bought, but if you can I would return it and switch to a Ranco controller and titanium heater. It may be a bit more but not too much. It will save money long term if compared to replacing a heater every so often. I installed same set up 11 years ago in my tank. Never touched it since, other than wipe the titanium clean.

Those glass ones scare me. Too many chances for glass to break.

And I am already scared enough as it is. My cat scares me, shouldn’t it be opposite?
Yes, it was a glass Jager, but I didn't bother asking for a replacement. I probably should have since I'm certain I still have the receipt. Drat...should have thought.

OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

FWIW, I only need one 150 Watt heater in my 45 gallon with 35 gallons of saltwater. After being burned by heaters I always run two full size. I run them on an Ink Bird controller which I feel increases their life. In my experience, the thermostat is what usually fails for heaters in general.
Thanks @NY_Caveman . This makes me feel much better. I'm going to pick up another one. I need to start trusting my gut.

OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been typing a bunch about heaters tonight. But I'm so excited. I ordered a Christmas Tree Rock! I haven't been able to find them in years. But tonight @ca1ore put up a thread about Christmas Tree Rocks: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/anyone-keeping-x-mas-rocks-anymore.606679/#post-6118080 and I found a location where I can order one. I'm so excited. I don't know what it looks like -- it could be near death for all I know. But I'm just thrilled to order one. When I had reefs in the 90's, there were beautiful Christmas Tree Rocks everywhere. You just can't find them anymore. So thank you Ca1ore. I'm hoping my new purchase will turn out to be a wonderful addition.
xmas tree.PNG

OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far, the best investment I have made in this hobby was the Hanna checker (Alkalinity). API told me one thing and Salifert told me another. So today I ordered a Hannaa checker (same day delivery for free !!!!). I'm telling you...everything Hanna makes, I'm going to purchase. It was simple and so worth it. FYI my alk is 8.7. At least now I know where to go. API said I was low and Salifert said I was high. I didn't know what to do. I just feel more secure with this. I now have a path forward in the alk zone.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 69 30.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 64 27.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 49 21.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 45 19.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back