Tonya's 210 Gallon

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boy did I ever get behind. I think someone put me on the ignore list or I missed my notifications, hum:cool:

Got mostly caught up, missed a ton It looks like. We should set up frag swaps in our area, but never do. I love idols but I would prefer heniochus if they were more reef compatible. The tang pic was nice.

ps. A nice bottle of olive oil or olives from Greece would be a great reminder to keep up;)

OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boy did I ever get behind. I think someone put me on the ignore list or I missed my notifications, hum:cool:
Got mostly caught up, missed a ton It looks like.
Both of us got behind. I need to go hunt down your posts about your tank and gigantic puppy. There are a few of you I enjoy following on this forum and your stuff is at the top of the list along with a few others. You make me laugh. I'm going to be spending the next few weeks playing catch up.
We should set up frag swaps in our area, but never do. I love idols but I would prefer heniochus if they were more reef compatible. The tang pic was nice.
These Frag swaps in Arizona are awesome. I learn a lot, the folks are nice and I'm able to trade corals or buy (we have a monthly auction) for a fraction of the price. If you can set something up in your neck of the woods, I would recommend it. There are quite few regular R2R members in the group who have been involved for a long time. If you want to start something, let me know and I can give you names if you have questions for them. It is well worth it.

ps. A nice bottle of olive oil or olives from Greece would be a great reminder to keep up;)
LOL! I'll see what I can do. ;Hilarious

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those frag swaps sound wicked awesome since we don th have that around here would be great to see some pics to drool over ;)
Hope all is well with ya

OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixture of emotions over here. A little over a week ago, my husband picked up a new pump for me at our LFS on his lunch break. While there, he bought a six-line wrasse because he knows I've been wanting one. I worked the night shift at the library and he came home and plopped the new fish in the tank as a surprise for me. (What a great guy.) He wasn't aware of quarantining, dipping, or any suggested new fish recommendations. He asked the owner of the LFS what to do and he gave him instructions on how to add a fish directly to the tank. I came home from work and he showed me the new acquisition -- all grins about his present. I've been watching the fish closely and the little guy has been doing well. I feel like I scraped by with a bit of luck. Today I was reading and looked up to see my white cheek tilting towards a smaller fish -- it looked like he was trying to get it to pick stuff off of him. I grabbed my aquarium magnifying glass and took a closer look. Voila! Velvet. ;Blackeye So now I'm making a plan to try to not lose everything. The guy at my LFS says Rally Pro will take care of everything with some fish loss. He claims it is just as good as copper. I'm experienced enough to disagree but bought it to use as a bath while I'm setting up my quarantine tanks. I only have two 20 longs. I've dosed the tank and my plans are to pull the rock out, and try to catch the buggers. I haven't told my husband that the new wrasse is to blame -- he would feel horrible. Well...it is time to get wet. Wish me luck.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixture of emotions over here. A little over a week ago, my husband picked up a new pump for me at our LFS on his lunch break. While there, he bought a six-line wrasse because he knows I've been wanting one. I worked the night shift at the library and he came home and plopped the new fish in the tank as a surprise for me. (What a great guy.) He wasn't aware of quarantining, dipping, or any suggested new fish recommendations. He asked the owner of the LFS what to do and he gave him instructions on how to add a fish directly to the tank. I came home from work and he showed me the new acquisition -- all grins about his present. I've been watching the fish closely and the little guy has been doing well. I feel like I scraped by with a bit of luck. Today I was reading and looked up to see my white cheek tilting towards a smaller fish -- it looked like he was trying to get it to pick stuff off of him. I grabbed my aquarium magnifying glass and took a closer look. Voila! Velvet. ;Blackeye So now I'm making a plan to try to not lose everything. The guy at my LFS says Rally Pro will take care of everything with some fish loss. He claims it is just as good as copper. I'm experienced enough to disagree but bought it to use as a bath while I'm setting up my quarantine tanks. I only have two 20 longs. I've dosed the tank and my plans are to pull the rock out, and try to catch the buggers. I haven't told my husband that the new wrasse is to blame -- he would feel horrible. Well...it is time to get wet. Wish me luck.
NOOOOOO! Say it isn’t so! I can not believe this. How horrible.

OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well? How are things now? I am dying here!
No one has died yet. The white cheek still seems to be the only one affected. But he seems better and is eating. I'm expecting some fish loss, but nothing has happened. I would swear on a stack of religious materials that it was velvet, so I'm surprised. I'm keeping a close eye on him and his roommates. I'm scouring online for used tanks. I think the two 20 longs are too small for a tank my size if a full quarantine is needed. I had a 90 gal, but gave it away because I wasn't going to get around to set it up for a 2nd display tank any time soon. Now I wish I kept it. But now I know for next time. Thanks for asking. :) I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one has died yet. The white cheek still seems to be the only one affected. But he seems better and is eating. I'm expecting some fish loss, but nothing has happened. I would swear on a stack of religious materials that it was velvet, so I'm surprised. I'm keeping a close eye on him and his roommates. I'm scouring online for used tanks. I think the two 20 longs are too small for a tank my size if a full quarantine is needed. I had a 90 gal, but gave it away because I wasn't going to get around to set it up for a 2nd display tank any time soon. Now I wish I kept it. But now I know for next time. Thanks for asking. :) I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Ugh! That is so crazy. BTW I have kept my 40B just an emergency tank.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Salty Lemon

I so hope it is not velvet, but definitely better safe than sorry. I do not hear a lot of velvet in wrasse, but I am far from a disease guy. i hope it is ok, maybe @Big G could get a bit more info and see if what we have Is cause for concern

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How goes it with da fishes? Has white cheek continued to improve other fish still no signs? Fingers crossed for good news

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The acriflavine in RRR can take care of Brooklynella. But usually you have to treat and then move the fish into a fresh, sterile tank.
Is it possible that what you saw was "early" Brook? Velvet and early Brook can present very similarly.
How many times did you treat with the RRR Pro?
You could consider doing the Black Molly Test to see if the parasites are still in your system.

OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The acriflavine in RRR can take care of Brooklynella. But usually you have to treat and then move the fish into a fresh, sterile tank.
Is it possible that what you saw was "early" Brook? Velvet and early Brook can present very similarly.
How many times did you treat with the RRR Pro?
You could consider doing the Black Molly Test to see if the parasites are still in your system.
Hi @Big G -- thanks for the feedback. I treated my fish with RRP for two days -- but there were three treatments before I got my tanks all set up and put everyone into QT. I'm relatively certain it isn't brook. I haven't had velvet experience in twenty years since I worked in an LFS. So I'm a bit rusty. It definitely wasn't ich, and it didn't resemble Brook photos. My fish haven't been gasping for air. The White cheek is eating, and swimming around just fine now, but he seems to be withering away. My bets are that I'm going to lose him. But as long as he's eating, my hopes remain high. My other fish have slowed down, but all seem fine. I have lost a firefish, but I'm thinking it has more to do with the copper than it did the possible velvet. I've missed reading up on "the black molly test". I'm going to have to look that up. But by the sound of it, I have an idea of what it entails.

My husband picked up a 40 breeder for me the other day and the fish seem to like the swimming space better. I thought it would fit on the table in our laundry room -- nope. So they are now on my old table in the kitchen. I decided to call it a design trend. I know some good people on this forum. Thanks everyone, for your checking in. :)

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best of luck with your fish!

OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Rocket and Blaze (the clown twins) love, love, LOVE the African violet flower pot I put in the corner of the quarantine tank. I'm thinking of buying another one for the 210 to put in their corner so they can move in. Too tacky? I want my tank to look like something in nature, but it is really fun to watch them swim in and out of the holes all day long. I'm stuck in a quandary.
Clowns Flower Pot.jpg

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Rocket and Blaze (the clown twins) love, love, LOVE the African violet flower pot I put in the corner of the quarantine tank. I'm thinking of buying another one for the 210 to put in their corner so they can move in. Too tacky? I want my tank to look like something in nature, but it is really fun to watch them swim in and out of the holes all day long. I'm stuck in a quandary.
Clowns Flower Pot.jpg
Perhaps something like this reminiscent of an ancient wreck

Back