Too much flow?

jpxp90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!
I’m running a 50g lagoon style tank that will be only sps. I’m currently running 2 mp 40s each running around 1800 gph each. Is this too strong for sps? Just got my first set of them in there and they seem to be doing alright. Any input would be great!

here’s some photos for reference on where I put them in the tank and stuff:

image.jpg
D8AAC9C5-2C91-4762-AC88-E6CE4B37AD7C.jpeg
AEE5648A-6E16-4074-A575-D02CE9B0E9A8.jpeg

javisaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if fish can handle it so can the corals. The tank does look pretty new though. How old is it?

OP
OP
J

jpxp90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been up since February, one of the pics is really old, didn’t have a more recent photo without blues

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!
I’m running a 50g lagoon style tank that will be only sps. I’m currently running 2 mp 40s each running around 1800 gph each. Is this too strong for sps? Just got my first set of them in there and they seem to be doing alright. Any input would be great!

here’s some photos for reference on where I put them in the tank and stuff:

image.jpg
D8AAC9C5-2C91-4762-AC88-E6CE4B37AD7C.jpeg
AEE5648A-6E16-4074-A575-D02CE9B0E9A8.jpeg
Looks like they're on opposite corners. That's going to be basically a swirling pool.
SPS like random flow not flow that's going One Direction all the time.
IMO, can you put them in the middle facing each other or in the back corners of the tank facing each other? That will give you more random flow.

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like they're on opposite corners. That's going to be basically a swirling pool.
SPS like random flow not flow that's going One Direction all the time.
IMO, can you put them in the middle facing each other or in the back corners of the tank facing each other? That will give you more random flow.
Agreed on this, its random and chaotic flow that hits the coral from all side that we want.
@ OP

SPS such as acro, monti and porites to name a few can really handle extremely high flow and in fact requires it but do remember the size of your frag/colony also dictates how much flow u need. You really need to spend time observing your corals and tweaking if necessary. What you would like to see is your sps extending its polyps and not retracting its flesh. You wanna see their polyps dance around and not just get hit from one direction. If you are able to get it right, you might even get waves/flow that periodically tumbles onto the coral which really is what I find my sps love.

OP
OP
J

jpxp90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed on this, its random and chaotic flow that hits the coral from all side that we want.
@ OP

SPS such as acro, monti and porites to name a few can really handle extremely high flow and in fact requires it but do remember the size of your frag/colony also dictates how much flow u need. You really need to spend time observing your corals and tweaking if necessary. What you would like to see is your sps extending its polyps and not retracting its flesh. You wanna see their polyps dance around and not just get hit from one direction. If you are able to get it right, you might even get waves/flow that periodically tumbles onto the coral which really is what I find my sps love.
Hey thanks for the info! I tried putting them closer together and they just shoot sand everywhere. Do you think having them on a setting where they go opposite from each other would do it? Like every 5 min one switches off and the other turns on? Appreciate it!

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thanks for the info! I tried putting them closer together and they just shoot sand everywhere. Do you think having them on a setting where they go opposite from each other would do it? Like every 5 min one switches off and the other turns on? Appreciate it!
Yes, random.
Have one turn on/other off, both on the same time, reef crest,...
Point at each other so you don't create a swirl motion.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Without video and Under white lighting will be very hard to tell.
If corals are bent over ttheir base, indication its too strong

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this works as well. I have my Nero 5s programmed this way so its always a swaying back and forth flow with my sps.

BCSreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, random.
Have one turn on/other off, both on the same time, reef crest,...
Point at each other so you don't create a swirl motion.
Agree. In addition, have a few periods with both on to give you occasional random/chaotic flow. That way you get 3 very different flow patterns.

OP
OP
J

jpxp90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thanks everyone! I swapped up the positioning and put in the reef crest alternating I was worried about sand going everywhere but it’s doing great. Appreciate the help

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chaotic flow is what were trying to achieve with SPS.

With that said, in my 90G cube I run 2 mp10's, 2 jebao pp8's, and 2 nero 3's. all fire off at different times and different intensities to create that random chaotic flow.

No such thing as too much flow in an SPS dominant tank, unless your peeling the skin off the coral.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back