Too much UV for tank

Wagtribe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently upgraded to WB 180.5 from 75g bow-front tank. The 75g build included a 9w Coralife Turbo-Twist UV sterilizer that served me well. Now I have upgraded to 130g and added a 36w Turbo-twist 12X for larger volume. I set the 12x flow rate at just over 300gph to deal with Parasites, so far so good. But now I have the smaller 3x and I am wondering if it would be ideal to run it as well at a faster flow rate to help control algae. Would too much UV damage the bio filtration or have an unseen negative effect that I should account for? I a running the Neptune Core-20 as main return with a manifold that I could run 1/2" line at 120+gph to run the 3X. I have a 2nd Varios-4 pump running the 12X. Your thoughts.

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently upgraded to WB 180.5 from 75g bow-front tank. The 75g build included a 9w Coralife Turbo-Twist UV sterilizer that served me well. Now I have upgraded to 130g and added a 36w Turbo-twist 12X for larger volume. I set the 12x flow rate at just over 300gph to deal with Parasites, so far so good. But now I have the smaller 3x and I am wondering if it would be ideal to run it as well at a faster flow rate to help control algae. Would too much UV damage the bio filtration or have an unseen negative effect that I should account for? I a running the Neptune Core-20 as main return with a manifold that I could run 1/2" line at 120+gph to run the 3X. I have a 2nd Varios-4 pump running the 12X. Your thoughts.
Lots of people run two so they can get the algae and parasites which have different flow requirements. The biological filtration that matters should be well cemented in rock/sandbed etc

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe your mileage may vary, but I've been running an Aqua Ultraviolet 57 watt on my 100g with no ill effects for about a year.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's pretty much impossible to use too much UV assuming you're not using an industrial strength set up. It only affects bacteria and life ( i.e. algae, parasites) that pass through in the water column. The bacteria that you need to keep in the tank are attached to surfaces, not in the water column.

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Experts, sorry for the side posting but, what about copepods.. UV will kill it as well right? Thanks.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Experts, sorry for the side posting but, what about copepods.. UV will kill it as well right? Thanks.
Yes with enough intensity. Pods in my tank have swam/crawled away from light like my flash light, they also handle flow well. I’ve seen them on my waterfall style algae scrubber and media reactors. I would say many would survive a system with a UV because they would avoid it.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure if a 100 percent of the water went through the UV at a slow enough pace many would die. I don’t think 100percent would die, and the ones that don’t would have a chance to breed and cling to the rock work

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV has little effect on copepod population unless you are running a over sized UV on a super small tank and running the UV at a very low flow rate . UV is designed for single cell organisms so unless your baking the copepods in the UV I wouldn't worry

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 69 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back