Torch Coral Concern/ID?

PandorasChalk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a torch coral for 10 dollars at an LFS recently, and after having it for a week and it's started to branch out I'm wondering if it could be something else. It lacks the bulbs on the ends, and it seems kind of... stubby? Under full blues there is no glow, it's always an off color purple. It's the exact same size as it was at the LFS.

Seems to be doing better than it was a week ago at least. I have it by the sand bed, and in moderate flow. Seems when flow hits it, it 'jiggles' but won't sweep out. One of the tentacles has some signs of damage on it, which I just noticed this morning. I attached a picture. I considered moving it up some in the tank and seeing if that helps, which will increase flow and light.

My overall concern is if it's doing okay and just a baby, or is it even a torch coral?

Link to video of coral moving

Parameters as of this morning (going today to purchase better test kit since using API):
Using Instant Ocean Reef Crystals in homemade RODI water
Last water change was yesterday, 10%
Salinity 1.026
Ph 8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
Phosphate 0
Alk 9
Calcium 425
736B870B-D085-4D84-8658-1F8D0BE1D26F.jpeg
9CBB4276-AB47-4398-AA81-8D0FB1B04957.jpeg

Last edited:
Solution
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It honestly more resembles a hammer, but it could be some sort of hybrid (not common, but I've seen a few torch-hammer hybrids). It looks fine, and I don't think you can really go wrong for $10. I'd leave it where it is, ie: near the bottom of your tank,.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It honestly more resembles a hammer, but it could be some sort of hybrid (not common, but I've seen a few torch-hammer hybrids). It looks fine, and I don't think you can really go wrong for $10. I'd leave it where it is, ie: near the bottom of your tank,.

Upvote 0
Solution
OP
OP
PandorasChalk

PandorasChalk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That is how I am feeling about it also. At the store it was a bit more retracted in since someone else had handled it. Now that it is stretching out I am noticing some of the arms are turning inwards. Oh well, I wanted a hammer also, so either way sounds like a win/win to me :D

Upvote 0

ccole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree, it looks more like a hammer. Still a great deal for only $10. It seems to be doing well to me!

Upvote 1

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is how I am feeling about it also. At the store it was a bit more retracted in since someone else had handled it. Now that it is stretching out I am noticing some of the arms are turning inwards. Oh well, I wanted a hammer also, so either way sounds like a win/win to me :D
Maybe you'll end up with both, lol.

Upvote 0

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back