Torch Coral now White

Glott3133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
?
acanthophyllia (2).jpg

I've had this torch coral for about 4 months and it has always done and looked good. It's a brownish color with white tips. Conditions in the tank have not changed (lighting, etc.). Water conditions:
Alk 7.6
Ca 420
Ammonia - 0
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 0 not detectable.

The same torch is now completely white. It seems to be growing, with all polyps extended pretty well.

What could be causing this? Is it a bad thing

OP
OP
Glott3133

Glott3133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't tested phosphates in a while. Usually have local store test, but haven't had them do it in a few weeks.

Never tested par. Running Radions and they have been at the same setting since November 50% total intensity. Running mostly blues throughout the day.

You think it might help to move it down farther in my tank. It currently sits about halfway to the top.

zapbap99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't tested phosphates in a while. Usually have local store test, but haven't had them do it in a few weeks.

Never tested par. Running Radions and they have been at the same setting since November 50% total intensity. Running mostly blues throughout the day.

You think it might help to move it down farther in my tank. It currently sits about halfway to the top.
cant hurt my man, my torch was lighter moved it down boom darker and longer

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lfs here had the same color torch, turn bright white, down in the sandbed. Tank was 24" deep with a AI hydra 6" from the top. Not sure on intensity. Acceptable nutrient levels as well.

The torch never stopped growing and even split heads that were pure white as well. Few weeks later I checked in and they raised the lights, shortened the photo period from 10-8 hours, and nothing had changed. Good feeding response as well.
That was right before this outbreak started so no clue on it now. They planned to just let it do its thing and see what happened.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
?
acanthophyllia (2).jpg

I've had this torch coral for about 4 months and it has always done and looked good. It's a brownish color with white tips. Conditions in the tank have not changed (lighting, etc.). Water conditions:
Alk 7.6
Ca 420
Ammonia - 0
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 0 not detectable.

The same torch is now completely white. It seems to be growing, with all polyps extended pretty well.

What could be causing this? Is it a bad thing

0 Nitrogen in the water doesn't leave much to keep the zooxanthellae population up. Guessing it gets some food when you feed the fish? Have you tried target feeding it a couple times a week?

OP
OP
Glott3133

Glott3133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, corals get fed at least twice a week. I have about 15 corals from SPS to LPS and softies, and they all are flourishing. So just hoping this 1 torch is doing well too.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 39 63.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back