Torch Coral with Possible Bacterial Infection?

liam’s little reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

My New York Nicks torch has been having trouble lately from what I assume to be a bacterial infection. I am at a loss on what I need to do or if anyone has delt with these issues in the past.

All parameters are in check and this is the only coral (including all other torches) that is having this issue. About a week ago, I started to notice my Knick’s right side was receding randomly throughout the day. My first thought was flatworms, although I have not seen any on my other Euphyllia. Dipped in ME Coral Dip for about 10 mins and no signs of pests. Then I took a closer look and noticed a white-fuzzy film starting to form around the base of the head. Over the past week, the film has started to multiply, and the torch’s right side is receded almost always now. This morning, I decided to do a 10 min iodine dip, which seemed to relieve the torch a little bit, but the film is still there and the right side is still receded.

I ordered Coral Rx after hearing it’s good for treating bacterial infections, but I don’t know whether or not additional dips will cause more harm than good. That being said I am at a loss on what I need to do to treat this!
Any tips or experience with this problem would be greatly appreciated. I will attach a video and photo, but they were taken at night so it’s hard to see. Please help, I need to save this guy!

C9794596-4F4C-41EC-860A-CCB7A4360918.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
bump

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi, there are a couple threads going rt now about this,sorry i do not know where ,but i think @Cell ,could direct you to them,thanks and best wishes

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what it is. Currently treating with H2O2 which knocks it back pretty good, but the first time I did this, it grew back eventually so I repeated the process recently and will probably do it every few days for a week or 2.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
following this one also ;) :)

OP
OP
liam’s little reef

liam’s little reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the torch. It died about 3 days ago. Thanks to everyone for offering info, but it was unfortunately too late. I tried super gluing the base, iodine dip, coral rx, but didn’t get around to trying a peroxide dip; too late for that. From what I’ve heard and seen on other forums, this fuzzy stuff is very hard to get rid of, and I decided to trash the torch before it turned into jelly and possibly spread to my other Euphyllia. Luckily I have not seen this infection/fungus on other corals. To anyone dealing with this on their torches, the faster you act the more of a chance you have of saving your coral.

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the future you might want to try antibiotics. I have had GREAT success at stopping Tissue BJD and infections. I usually dip in Hydrogen peroxide to initially stop and slow infections due to the slow response time of antibiotics. I really like Chloramphrnicol but its really hard to find. Ultimately Doxycycline and amoxicillin have worked for me as well. I go to my LFS and will get free coral that is infected and have saved them many times. If you are curious about my methods PM me and I can give you a detailed procedure of application. If there's a bacterial infection fight it with antibiotics

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 149 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back