Torch corals and lighting

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question. What kind of lighting do torch corals like ? I ask because i have two diff colors of torchs. A regular purple pink tip one and a neon green with blue tip torch. My lights are 4 t5 bulbs on a 135g. Stretching all 72 inchs with two 36 inch fixtures. Two blue and two coral plus.

I also have a set of full spectrum .50w 100 led 36 inch fixtures. And 2 36 inch older t5 normal outout (meaning half the wattage of high output t5s) fixtures with 2 bulbs running 6500ks. I only use these for extra par. The leds put out 100 par 10 inchs down and the t5 normal outputs add around 50 or so. So 150 par more total.

When i turn these on my green torch coral shrinks into its skeleton throughout the day.. and if i have them off its about 70% extended. The purple torch doesnt care either way its out 100% if the time. Both are mid way in my tank. Im thinking the green torch doesnt like higher lighting. Should i move it further down into a more partially shaded area ?

Because ive also noticed its becoming more transluscent too even if i keep the extra lights off it doesnt seem to like just the 4 ati t5s.. so i dunno. Are there really different color torchs that like lower/higher lighting ?

Miguel Negron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 7 torches under an AI Prime under 80% blues and 20% whites during the peak time period. Torches don’t need an excise amount of light and will do fine with decent blue light

OP
OP
S

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well what i mean is my purple torch dont care if i turn on my extra lights or not.. but the green shrink wayyyy up. Is that a sign of too much light ? Same with it turning a bit transluscent. Should i move it down to a more partially shaded area ? Even if i keep the extra lights off it doesnt seem to like just the 4 t5s where its at i dunno

Miguel Negron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well what i mean is my purple torch dont care if i turn on my extra lights or not.. but the green shrink wayyyy up. Is that a sign of too much light ? Same with it turning a bit transluscent. Should i move it down to a more partially shaded area ? Even if i keep the extra lights off it doesnt seem to like just the 4 t5s where its at i dunno
Yeah if the green one is shrinking up, I would move the torch towards a shadier section. Since you have T5s and they light the whole tank equally, I would recommend placing it near a rock or near a cave

OP
OP
S

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok ill do just that. My torch coral rock has a cave on the left ill move it near that sp its more shaded.

OP
OP
S

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is where i moved it. My finger is pointing where it was. It was directly over all my lights there.. and where it is now Is slightly lower but its more shaded by the plating monti above it. And it shrunk when i moved it of course.. but yea

20201019_213236.jpg

Miguel Negron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is where i moved it. My finger is pointing where it was. It was directly over all my lights there.. and where it is now Is slightly lower but its more shaded by the plating monti above it. And it shrunk when i moved it of course.. but yea

20201019_213236.jpg
That’s a good spot. Give a couple days to acclimate into the new spot and you should be good

OP
OP
S

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its going good. It receeded up to the heads. But stopped. Now its growing a 3rd head. The tentacles are still shorter from when i first got it. But its doing really good regardless.

Here it is now

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201120-192704_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201120-192704_Gallery.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 116
Back