Torch not extending?

Tacoma Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I recently purchased my first torch corals a month ago and they have not extended the way I thought they would. Instead they look like this pictured below when lights come on. The tank is about 9 months old with led lighting. At night they shrink up quite a bit. I have them halfway up the tank and is receiving flow from both directions. Not sure if it is it lighting, flow, or chemistry? I have a couple hammers and even cristatas that open just fine but close to the sand bed. What should my next steps be? Parameters are pictured below.

Thanks.

20211122_155329.jpg Screenshot_20211122-125819_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20211122-111505_AquaticLog.jpg

Ryan hirano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not all torches spread super far out. Aussies aren't as stringy as indo.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Torch corals have calcium demands and if calcium is low, you will see it unhappy. Additionally, with your tank, if you happen to have any leather corals, this may be part of the issue. Many leather coral species produce and release toxic chemicals, called terpenes, into the water to protect themselves and to stunt the growth of other species.
Torch require typical parameters including a temperature around 78 degrees, a specific gravity of about 1.025, ph of about 8.2, and a calcium level of about 400 ppm. Like most large polyp stony corals, a torch coral benefits from moderate water flow.
In your case . . . . . The polyps will remain retracted and under-inflated if the water current is too fast because the large flowing polyps are prone to rip and tear in high or ultra-high current environments.
The torch coral is a photosynthetic coral, meaning it has a relationship with symbiotic zooxanthellae (single-cell photosynthetic organisms) that live inside its tissues that converts the light energy into sugar. In exchange for a home inside the coral, the zooxanthellae split their harvest and feed the coral.
Lastly, feed them at least 2X per week with mysis shrimp.

OP
OP
Tacoma Tang

Tacoma Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ryan - The one to the left is an Aussie and the one to the right is an Indo yet they both have similar extensions.

Vetteguy - Thank you for your input. I do have a finger leather, I was told by my lfs that if I run carbon the chemical warefare should be kept at bay. I'm starting to reconsider wether I want to keep this finger leather or not. Right now I feed benepets weekly, which in the ingredients list has brine shrimp, will that be good enough? I will try to move to a lower flow to see if they extend better. I will also feed 2x a week to see if that helps.

Last edited:

BirdRockReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you seen any progress? I have on in my tank that looks exactly like this and have been moving it around to see if it's lighting or flow, but still have yet to see it open fully

OP
OP
Tacoma Tang

Tacoma Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is little progress, when whites turns off for the day the indo comes alive for maybe an hour or two. I have been feeding every other day and turned the flow down. They show no signs of diseases or receding so that's a plus. I'm really hoping it's a long acclimating period and that they will eventually start to open up. Good luck on yours. How long have you had the torch?

BirdRockReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has been in my tank for a few months now. Never really fully extends, but same thing as yours. No sign of receding or disease. I'm thinking it's my light, because I'm starting to really determine which type of torch it is and I think it's a low-light torch so gonna shove it in a corner at the bottom to see if I can get it into a dead PAR zone to test

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has been in my tank for a few months now. Never really fully extends, but same thing as yours. No sign of receding or disease. I'm thinking it's my light, because I'm starting to really determine which type of torch it is and I think it's a low-light torch so gonna shove it in a corner at the bottom to see if I can get it into a dead PAR zone to test
Any update on your torch? Just curious

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My torch isn't extended like other torches but it was really shruken up and I learned torches aren't a fan of high flow and constant flow. They like a little randomness. Since I laid off the constant flow pattern and laid off the gas my torch has relaxed. Changed appearance the next day. Of course I don't know if I have an aussie torch of indo torch...

Incredible Hulk Torch? Where he come from?

*edit* I'm used to uploading video to Imgur and forgot I was listening to some stuff with nasty language. Just hit mute on the video before you play.

Attachments

• 20220118_184658.mp4
    8.8 MB

dphan2007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My torch isn't extended like other torches but it was really shruken up and I learned torches aren't a fan of high flow and constant flow. They like a little randomness. Since I laid off the constant flow pattern and laid off the gas my torch has relaxed. Changed appearance the next day. Of course I don't know if I have an aussie torch of indo torch...

Incredible Hulk Torch? Where he come from?

*edit* I'm used to uploading video to Imgur and forgot I was listening to some stuff with nasty language. Just hit mute on the video before you play.
going to give this a shot.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back