OP
J

JLN72

Never Too Old To Try
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome to R2R. Saltwater tanks have gotten easier to keep IMO as equipment and understanding of what is needed to be successful have both improved.
If your son in law is handy enough to build a beautiful stand then drilling holes in the glass should be a piece of cake.
Good luck and don't forget to post pics once you have it all together.
Thank you. I will post pics because I am too old to care if everyone sees my mistakes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JLN72

Never Too Old To Try
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

Welcome to R2R, you're definitely in the right place!!!
ZomboMeme 07062021225029.jpg
Thank you. I spent some time looking at different forums and this one seemed both comprehensive and friendly.

OP
OP
J

JLN72

Never Too Old To Try
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the R2R community!!

Episode 4 Nbc GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

My advice...make sure you dont have tempered glass before you drill. There is a method by using a lap top computer and polarized lenses to check.
Thank you. I am planning to do just that just to be sure. I guess it is as simple as putting a laptop inside a tank and looking for patterns in glass through polarized glasses.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I am planning to do just that just to be sure. I guess it is as simple as putting a laptop inside a tank and looking for patterns in glass through polarized glasses.
Thats it. Second thing to know...let gravity do the drilling. Let it grind through the glass. No pressure

OP
OP
J

JLN72

Never Too Old To Try
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats it. Second thing to know...let gravity do the drilling. Let it grind through the glass. No pressure
Thanks. I only started researching a few months ago and I can't seem to get enough. I think I have been a closet reefer nerd and not known it.

KevPool

Blue-Collar Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. don't beat yourself up you sound like you are off to a great start. :) For Drilling your tank there are some good videos on you tube that will help you, best advice i can offer for that is start off with your bit on an angle and take it slow let the drill do all the work for you. when you are almost through the glass take as much pressure off the drill as you can not to shell off the inner part of your cut out. if you get a chance start a build thread you will find great advice here on your new adventure. Happy Friday Cheers
ryan reynolds deadpool GIF

OP
OP
J

JLN72

Never Too Old To Try
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. don't beat yourself up you sound like you are off to a great start. :) For Drilling your tank there are some good videos on you tube that will help you, best advice i can offer for that is start off with your bit on an angle and take it slow let the drill do all the work for you. when you are almost through the glass take as much pressure off the drill as you can not to shell off the inner part of your cut out. if you get a chance start a build thread you will find great advice here on your new adventure. Happy Friday Cheers
ryan reynolds deadpool GIF
Some of the bits arrived today but I will need to build the overflow boxes before drilling so it could be a while.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back