Trace elements in a softie only tank

Joey.S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, hope you and your reefs are all doing well. I just wanted to discuss something quick.

I’ve read a lot of forums about how doing a 10% water change weekly/bi weekly or a 20% water change monthly is enough to replenish the elements for a softie only tank since they don’t consume a lot. And doing so will raise the alkalinity back up in the acceptable range. Hopefully this doesn’t sound like a dumb question but, if stability is key especially when it comes to alk, how is doing a water change only that often going to keep the alkalinity in the tank stable when the corals use a certain amount of alk everyday? Because they say stay in the range of 7-11 DKH, but you shouldn’t swing within that range, try and keep it within like say .5 DKH. But if I’m correct, within a week, the corals would have used up quite a lot of alk since it is consumed every single day, so wouldn’t a water change once a week spike the alk back up?? Same with the bi weekly routine/monthly routine.

Sorry for the long paragraph I just need someone to explain it, thank you!

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes only are more for people who dont have a huge demand from their corals. They can keep the swing within reason by simply chsnging their water weekly.
The next step is to start incorperating kalk drips or in ATO as your coral demand increases.

With a moderately stocked system with mixed lps and sps with tons of softies on a 50gal system, i was at about .3dkh per day demand at my peak.....
But im dosing now.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Water change retore elements absobed by life forms in tank and maintains the values you have in tank. Switching salt brands may alter it slightly

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back