elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wrote that the reason for the appearance of Jelly is bad conditions in the aquarium ....
Yes but my question was how do you know?

Are you able to reliably and repeatably cause BJD at will, and reliably prevent it?

Maybe you are sitting on some hidden knowledge, but if it's just phosphate levels like you say then I don't think BJD would be such a problem these days.

REEF EXCLUSIVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
Yes but my question was how do you know?

Are you able to reliably and repeatably cause BJD at will, and reliably prevent it?

Maybe you are sitting on some hidden knowledge, but if it's just phosphate levels like you say then I don't think BJD would be such a problem these days.
I have only my professional experience in marine aquarism 20 years.
I have knowledge and my eyes....I only trust them.

MinnieMouse2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey!
Brown jelly is not a disease, but a consequence of poor conditions in the aquarium.
The first reason is when phosphate drops more than 50% several times in a short time.
The second reason when the КH is below 8
If the Jelly appears, then you need to urgently bathe the Coral in Brown Iodine (any) light yellow solution in sea water for 15 minutes.
Severely affected heads must be amputated!
Keep stable Phosphate and KH not lower than 8.3
I just got a torch in the mail. One week later, it is getting brown jelly disease. My Kh is 11. Phosphate is good. Somehow I do not think KH is the driver. Stress, maybe. Years ago we had a very large, long tentacle torch. I dipped it in the iodine they tell you too. It died. I would try antibiotic before iodine.

REEF EXCLUSIVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
I just got a torch in the mail. One week later, it is getting brown jelly disease. My Kh is 11. Phosphate is good. Somehow I do not think KH is the driver. Stress, maybe. Years ago we had a very large, long tentacle torch. I dipped it in the iodine they tell you too. It died. I would try antibiotic before iodine.
Perhaps Torch was simply injured during transportation and soft tissue necrosis began. If damage is noticeable, then you need to immediately bathe in antibiotics, etc., three times with an interval of 48 hours approximately.
Torch can also die with low ORP
Or the coral did not have time to adapt to new conditions due to the large difference in parameters. You have a very high Kh 11, perhaps this Torch was kept at Kh 8, etc.
For Euphyllia, the best Kh is 8.3-9, not higher and not lower. They can adapt to a different range, but it takes a long time to do so.
What brand of salt do you use?
Why do you have such a high Kh?
What are the levels of calcium and magnesium?
What lamp?

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps Torch was simply injured during transportation and soft tissue necrosis began. If damage is noticeable, then you need to immediately bathe in antibiotics, etc., three times with an interval of 48 hours approximately.
Or the coral did not have time to adapt to new conditions due to the large difference in parameters. You have a very high Kh 11, perhaps this Torch was kept at Kh 8, etc.
For Euphyllia, the best Kh is 8.3-9, not higher and not lower. They can adapt to a different range, but it takes a long time to do so.
What lamp?
I think what you are hinting at is stressors opening up the door for the bacterial infection. It is not a debate that bjd is a bacterial infection. But any stressor, shipping, sharp parameter changes, mechanical injury can open this door.

The treatment stated above is, as far as I am concerned, gold standard for BJD and all euphyllia infections. And it works because it is a bacterial infection. Which is a disease.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
In Many cases its bacterial and projected to be BJD and simply siphoning the mass with 3/8" tubing will eliminate most of the issue along with good parameters and flow restoring the coral back to health.

MinnieMouse2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lamp?
Reply Calcium is 450, magnesium is 1260, alk was 11 last night. Salt is right on. I have lots of other Torches that are fine. This one was not sent in a cup, just lose in the bag. Tried a new seller and lose in the bag did not work.

I like it when the plug is pulled through a cup and tied off tightly on the other side of a plastic cup with rubber bands. The torch sits nicely inside the cup while the rubber bands hold it in place. The only seller I have seen do this cup shipping is Queens Corals. I think after this, my go-to seller for torches will be Queens Corals.

It is now in antibiotic. Do you just bathe it in the antibiotic or have it in another tank under antibiotics? Right now I put it in a mini tank with antibiotic, and I am just leaving it there. How long do you treatment for? I have a mixed reef of torches, frog spawns, sps, clams, elegant coral, softies. It is not the tank. I do guess shipping stress.

MinnieMouse2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lamp?
I must have screwed up the alk test. My alk is testing 9, calcium 460, and mag 1260.

REEF EXCLUSIVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
I must have screwed up the alk test. My alk is testing 9, calcium 460, and mag 1260.
Most likely, Torch was wounded in a bag and now there is tissue necrosis on it and therefore there is brown jelly.
In antibiotics, you need to bathe in a separate container and not whiter than 1-2 hours.
In general, it is better to read the instructions for this drug. I just don't know what you are using and can't offer advice on that.
Ozone and potassium permanganate solution are good at increasing ORP and stopping infections, these are the only treatment options that can be used in a reef aquarium.
They also cure Cryptocariasis and Oodiniosis in a reef aquarium.

MinnieMouse2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely, Torch was wounded in a bag and now there is tissue necrosis on it and therefore there is brown jelly.
In antibiotics, you need to bathe in a separate container and not whiter than 1-2 hours.
In general, it is better to read the instructions for this drug. I just don't know what you are using and can't offer advice on that.
Ozone and potassium permanganate solution are good at increasing ORP and stopping infections, these are the only treatment options that can be used in a reef aquarium.

Increased ozygen exchange with an airstone micro bubbles. I had it soaking in amoxicillin. I did not see your post for no longer than two hours. I just removed it, rinsed it off and placed it in a low light area of the tank. In the last few days skeleton has been showing on the sides. The animal is still in the center of all that. We have skeleton showing. From what I am reading, usually they do not survive. Time will tell. At least I gave it a fighting chance. Lucky I had antibiotics on hand. You no longer can get Cipro without going to a vet. They want to see the animal to prove you got a sick one, so that means taking the torch out in a bag, showing it and hoping the vet gives you a prescription.

MinnieMouse2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not see bail out or tentacles falling off. Here is hoping because it was not cheap. I liked its thick tentacles. It looked lovely for the first few days.

MinnieMouse2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are always chances.
Do not give up!
Looks better this morning. Tentacles are out. I am glad I gave it a chance. I am not going to try to feed it. I feed my entire tank clam feeds from Reef Nutrition, so I think that will be enough. Crossing the fingers. Hope it works out. Hard to find the really long tentacle ones. Most are the short Australian Torches. Thanks for your help.

MinnieMouse2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are always chances.
Do not give up!
I have a question. They are banning the sale of fish med antibiotics online, in farm stores. To get Cipro the vet wanted 75 dollar office fee, see the animal which in this case is a Torch Coral, and the cost of the med which probably my guess would be around 50.00. Some vets will even tell you I do not work on aquatic life. Who is going to go through all this to save a fish, coral, etc? Bad day for the animals who might have been saved.

REEF EXCLUSIVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
Looks better this morning. Tentacles are out. I am glad I gave it a chance. I am not going to try to feed it. I feed my entire tank clam feeds from Reef Nutrition, so I think that will be enough. Crossing the fingers. Hope it works out. Hard to find the really long tentacle ones. Most are the short Australian Torches. Thanks for your help.
Wellcome!

With long tentacles Torches from Indonesia usually.
There are a lot of them and they are cheaper than Australian torches,
We always have plenty of them in stock.
At first, the tentacles are not very long, but within 3 months with a good flow, they stretch up to 5 inches.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a question. They are banning the sale of fish med antibiotics online, in farm stores. To get Cipro the vet wanted 75 dollar office fee, see the animal which in this case is a Torch Coral, and the cost of the med which probably my guess would be around 50.00. Some vets will even tell you I do not work on aquatic life. Who is going to go through all this to save a fish, coral, etc? Bad day for the animals who might have been saved.
They've done that because antibiotic resistance is a terrifying thing. Whether this is an effective measure, I don't know, but it comes from an effort to prevent a lot of human deaths. People misuse prescription antibiotics badly enough when they're given the pills by a doctor and told how to use them, after all, let alone if they buy it online. Bad for the animals, yes, but I'd rather some corals die and some fish have to be euthanized than even one person get an untreatable bacterial infection and die horribly.

REEF EXCLUSIVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
I agree it's bad.
Other methods of coral treatment should be used:
Potassium permanganate, Iodine, Copper, Coral RX, Ozone.
For the treatment of fish, there is a huge selection of drugs. It is more expensive and not always effective.

Last edited:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back