Treating display tank**

Scaggs1117

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 25, 2023
Messages
197
Reaction score
42
Location
Queens
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, had a question because I’ve had an ich outbreak before.
So I have a reefer 525xL with the 112gal display. Reef tank but no coral yet, no inverts besides a few nassarius snails and 2 conch.
The fish I have,
-blue hippo tang
-yellow tang
-tomini tang
-magnificent foxface
-banner fish
-black storm clown and ocellaris clown
-purple firefish and reg firefish
-orchid dottyback
-royal gramma (I haven’t seen him in over a aweek so I’m assuming he died in the rocks somewhere)
Like I said no coral just rock and sand, I have a skimmer and UV sterilizer as well

Would it be okay to treat the display tank with copper or any other med in the event of an outbreak?
 
No on copper in display ,i'll call in some expert help #fishmedic ,best wishes
 
Hey guys, had a question because I’ve had an ich outbreak before.
So I have a reefer 525xL with the 112gal display. Reef tank but no coral yet, no inverts besides a few nassarius snails and 2 conch.
The fish I have,
-blue hippo tang
-yellow tang
-tomini tang
-magnificent foxface
-banner fish
-black storm clown and ocellaris clown
-purple firefish and reg firefish
-orchid dottyback
-royal gramma (I haven’t seen him in over a aweek so I’m assuming he died in the rocks somewhere)
Like I said no coral just rock and sand, I have a skimmer and UV sterilizer as well

Would it be okay to treat the display tank with copper or any other med in the event of an outbreak?
Do Not treat display tank unless you have no intention of keeping corals and inverts. Best is a tank from a second hand store, a Rubbermaid type tub or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials. The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off. Inverts and coral can remain in the display (not treatment) tank during fallow period.
 
Do Not treat display tank unless you have no intention of keeping corals and inverts. Best is a tank from a second hand store, a Rubbermaid type tub or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials. The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off. Inverts and coral can remain in the display (not treatment) tank during fallow period.
Thank you!
 
Hey guys, had a question because I’ve had an ich outbreak before.
So I have a reefer 525xL with the 112gal display. Reef tank but no coral yet, no inverts besides a few nassarius snails and 2 conch.
The fish I have,
-blue hippo tang
-yellow tang
-tomini tang
-magnificent foxface
-banner fish
-black storm clown and ocellaris clown
-purple firefish and reg firefish
-orchid dottyback
-royal gramma (I haven’t seen him in over a aweek so I’m assuming he died in the rocks somewhere)
Like I said no coral just rock and sand, I have a skimmer and UV sterilizer as well

Would it be okay to treat the display tank with copper or any other med in the event of an outbreak?

The easiest thing to do would be to pull the few invertebrates and set them up in a tiny tank of their own for 60 days and then run your display and all the fish through hyposalinity:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/hyposalinity.880546/
 
Lot's of good advice above. And one i would give serious thinking if you plan on keeping coral and never copper the display. Forget any so called reef safe meds, UV or Ozone treatment only works for pathogens that go through, They can help but they won't remove the issue.
I also agree @ Jay Hemdal Remove CUC and drop the salinity though i would go further 14ppt 1.008
You could dose peroxide but that also has complications. As sugguested above, remove the fish and treat them, leave the display fallow. Personally i would go three months fallow
 
Last edited:
Lot's of good advice above. And one i would give serious thinking if you plan on keeping coral and never copper the display. Forget any so called reef safe meds, UV or Ozone treatment only works for pathogens that go through, They can help but they won't remove the issue.
I also agree @ Jay Hemdal Remove CUC and drop the salinity though i would go further 14ppt 1.008
You could dose peroxide but that also has complications. As sugguested above, remove the fish and treat them, leave the display fallow. Personally i would go three months fallow

Folks just need to be aware that some fish begin to "flake out" when the salinity hits a specific gravity of 1.008. Also, there are issues with proper, accurate measurement of specific gravity - the issue is that *if* the device is off, and the reading of 1.008 is actually lower than that, fish loss will likely result. Of course, the opposite is also true; if the device is reading incorrectly in the opposite direction, that actual SG could be 1.010. Ich can still be controlled at 1.010, but it will take longer (and in severe infections, the fish may not have more time).
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 4 5.9%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 26.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 27.9%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.2%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new