Tridacna clam with diamond watchman goby?

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to get a tridacna clam to place in my sand bed but have heard that mt diamond watchman goby will bury corals and assumed that held true for clams so I was wondering if I could get a tridacna and if I should introduce a test coral on the sand first like a cheap plate coral?

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably would depend on the size of the clam, I think if it’s under 15cm long it might bury it but otherwise it should be good

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably would depend on the size of the clam, I think if it’s under 15cm long it might bury it but otherwise it should be good
So I should get a larger one? Should I also get a sand dwelling coral to check first?

Joel B.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several clams and fish that like to move/bury things in the sand. It's not a huge problem unless the fish is non-stop trying to bury it. The clam is capable of clearing itself off, you just want to avoid situations where it has to spend a ton of energy clearing itself constantly.

If the tank is large enough and you are far enough away from where the goby has set itself up it won't be a problem. Also, depending on the clam if you get a nice flat-ish space in the rockwork you can put him up off the sand and not need to worry about it.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you should get a larger one. Up to you if you want to get a sand dwelling coral to check first but as @Joel B. said clams can clear themselves off
The larger ones get expensive wow what sandbed species and I get cheaper that most.

Back