Tridacna clam with diamond watchman goby?

Clowning_Around72

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 28, 2018
Messages
1,488
Reaction score
659
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to get a tridacna clam to place in my sand bed but have heard that mt diamond watchman goby will bury corals and assumed that held true for clams so I was wondering if I could get a tridacna and if I should introduce a test coral on the sand first like a cheap plate coral?
 
Probably would depend on the size of the clam, I think if it’s under 15cm long it might bury it but otherwise it should be good
 
Probably would depend on the size of the clam, I think if it’s under 15cm long it might bury it but otherwise it should be good
So I should get a larger one? Should I also get a sand dwelling coral to check first?
 
I have several clams and fish that like to move/bury things in the sand. It's not a huge problem unless the fish is non-stop trying to bury it. The clam is capable of clearing itself off, you just want to avoid situations where it has to spend a ton of energy clearing itself constantly.

If the tank is large enough and you are far enough away from where the goby has set itself up it won't be a problem. Also, depending on the clam if you get a nice flat-ish space in the rockwork you can put him up off the sand and not need to worry about it.
 
So I should get a larger one? Should I also get a sand dwelling coral to check first?
Yes you should get a larger one. Up to you if you want to get a sand dwelling coral to check first but as @Joel B. said clams can clear themselves off
 
Yes you should get a larger one. Up to you if you want to get a sand dwelling coral to check first but as @Joel B. said clams can clear themselves off
The larger ones get expensive wow what sandbed species and I get cheaper that most.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new