Trident calcium/mag depleted before alk

Topreefer92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 30 percent would get scrapped based off of what neptune has chosen for the tasks to be able to change the reagent.

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I let the calcium and Mag run out and Alk kept testing until it was empty.

That's a good idea! Ive been tossing it but like your idea better. Did the alk keep testing automatically or do you have to manually test after other reagents run dry?

Also does the trident keep trying to test the dry reagents or not even attempt it? Just worried about it sucking air bubbles from dry reagent tubes.

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you run low alk? It's a titration test so low alk will use less reagent per test. They supply enough so that if you run high all (10-12) the bottle will still last for the number of tests you're suppose to get from it. Make sense

Daquan44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trident will continue to test Alk automatically even when the Calcium and Magnesium are out. It doesn’t try to test the empty reagents, so it will not suck air and run dry.

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you run low alk? It's a titration test so low alk will use less reagent per test. They supply enough so that if you run high all (10-12) the bottle will still last for the number of tests you're suppose to get from it. Make sense

I run my alk right around 8.0 in the Trident which equates to about 8.3 - 8.5 according to Salifert.

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good idea! Ive been tossing it but like your idea better. Did the alk keep testing automatically or do you have to manually test after other reagents run dry?

Also does the trident keep trying to test the dry reagents or not even attempt it? Just worried about it sucking air bubbles from dry reagent tubes.

Agreed, awesome idea.

The calcium and mag being less crucial and less likely to change quickly can wait a bit until alk is depleted.

U

User1

View Badges
Personally speaking I'd just toss it and replace the set. I do not like the idea of the other two reagents running or staying dry. If the same amount is left a second time then maybe run a few manual alk tests during the month to see if it lowers the amount.

Reagent bottles have extra in them by default. Not 30% mind you, but each reagent bottle does have more to allocate room for tasks and priming.

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally speaking I'd just toss it and replace the set. I do not like the idea of the other two reagents running or staying dry. If the same amount is left a second time then maybe run a few manual alk tests during the month to see if it lowers the amount.

Reagent bottles have extra in them by default. Not 30% mind you, but each reagent bottle does have more to allocate room for tasks and priming.

Good point! Probably best to just re-load all 3 and toss the alk.

U

User1

View Badges
Good point! Probably best to just re-load all 3 and toss the alk.

Also was just thinking that if you haven't, and because you said about 30%, shoot neptune an email and ask. They may also say replace all but at the same time give them a data point. If you have time - may be worth a try.

Have a great day!

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also was just thinking that if you haven't, and because you said about 30%, shoot neptune an email and ask. They may also say replace all but at the same time give them a data point. If you have time - may be worth a try.

Have a great day!

Good idea, I’ll shoot them an email letting them know.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a handful of threads already on this exact topic. Search is your friend …..

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a handful of threads already on this exact topic. Search is your friend …..

Yeah, I tried searching but couldn’t find anything.

The wording of the thread titles don’t always match the topic I’m looking for an answer on.

Thanks for pointing that out, I’ll try harder next time. :)

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's easy to replace each component as it runs out. You don't have to replace them all together.
Just do it manually, not with the automated task.
Replace the reagent bottle, Prime that reagent line (I do it twice), and then Reset that reagent.
Your Trident will then continue testing normally until the next bottle gets down to a few percent.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's easy to replace each component as it runs out. You don't have to replace them all together.
Replace the reagent bottle, Prime that reagent line (I do it twice), and then Reset that reagent.
Your Trident will then continue testing normally until the next bottle gets down to a few percent.
I never thought about doing it that way, good idea.

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What about calibrating though?

You get 1 calibration bottle per 2 month kit.

Do you calibrate multiple times using the same 1 bottle of calibration fluid?

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about calibrating though?

You get 1 calibration bottle per 2 month kit.

Do you calibrate multiple times using the same 1 bottle of calibration fluid?

I only recalibrate when the readings after changing out the bottle are substantially different than the prior readings, and I suspect it's the reagent and not an actual change in the water chemistry.
This was commonly an issue during beta testing, but recently, I change out a bottle and the numbers are usually stable. I suspect this means their quality control for the reagents is better now than during beta testing.
I also recalibrate every now and then (every 3 months or so) just as a general good practice.
You can also buy additional recalibration fluid bottles directly from Neptune; I recommend keeping a few on hand.
I don't reuse calibration fluid once opened. Main reason being that there might not be enough for 2 full calibration runs.

Back