Trident controlled dosing

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is possibly a daft question but once setting up controlled dosing by my trident how do I then see how much I have chosen to dose over a selected period? With it being controlled by my trident reading it will of course fluctuate to keep things stable but how do I see what I originally chose as the amount to dose? Hope that makes sense.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Click on the gear icon to go to the table for each dosing head. The table will show what you have setup instead of what is actually been dosed.
Here is what mine looks like
4A1C9083-F083-4222-8797-253C1343CA89.png

So for me I have it set to dose 108ml spread out of 4 separate intervals.

OP
OP
ReefRondo

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't sure if that was what had been dosed or what I had told it to dose so thank you so much for clearing that up for me!

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Click the name on the DOS tile and then you can select each day and see the totals like this. I periodically review this and update my base dosing amount to average dose.

Screenshot_20220707-082227_APEX Fusion.jpg

Screenshot_20220707-082408_APEX Fusion.jpg

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Click the name on the DOS tile and then you can select each day and see the totals like this. I periodically review this and update my base dosing amount to average dose.

Screenshot_20220707-082227_APEX Fusion.jpg

Screenshot_20220707-082408_APEX Fusion.jpg
Yes but that is to see the actual amount that was dosed, not what you set it to dose as the base amount.

Also, just curious why is your AWC not the same amount out and in?

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but that is to see the actual amount that was dosed, not what you set it to dose as the base amount.

Also, just curious why is your AWC not the same amount out and in?
2 part dosing adds sodium and chloride ions to the water that raise salinity. For every 10ppm of calcium I add, 15ppm of NaCl is added. To correct this, I need to take salinity from 35.015 down to 35.000. With a water volume of 65 gallons, this takes 0.015 / 35 * 65g * 4000ml/gal = 111ml. I round down to 100ml due to skimmate production and salt creep.

My second tank isn't dosed yet so that one is identical in vs out.

I then use the balling method to replenish trace elements lost in this process.

Also of note, my AWC occurs over 23 hours and the extra removal occurs the last hour.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 part dosing adds sodium and chloride ions to the water that raise salinity. For every 10ppm of calcium I add, 15ppm of NaCl is added. To correct this, I need to take salinity from 35.015 down to 35.000. With a water volume of 65 gallons, this takes 0.015 / 35 * 65g * 4000ml/gal = 111ml. I round down to 100ml due to skimmate production and salt creep.

Also of note, my AWC occurs over 23 hours and the extra removal occurs the last hour.
Wow that was a really detailed description to say to account for 2 part salinity increase.

I knew that 2 part increases salinity but I had never seen a formula that shows how much it increased it by.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that was a really detailed description to say to account for 2 part salinity increase.

I knew that 2 part increases salinity but I had never seen a formula that shows how much it increased it by.
I show the derivation above. If you want the simple formula it's

ppm calcium * tank volume * 1.7 = ml per day to remove.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Math is fun, right? :)

Quiverfull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have issues with drastic dosing changes when you replace reagent A? It seems that when I replace this, my Alk reading changes significantly from what it was before and controlled dosing subsequently changes. I do calibrate the system each time I open a new replacement box but I usually run through 2 reagent A bottles for each B and C (as recommended when testing 4 times per day). I almost want to stop controlled dosing and just use it to test. Any thoughts?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have issues with drastic dosing changes when you replace reagent A? It seems that when I replace this, my Alk reading changes significantly from what it was before and controlled dosing subsequently changes. I do calibrate the system each time I open a new replacement box but I usually run through 2 reagent A bottles for each B and C (as recommended when testing 4 times per day). I almost want to stop controlled dosing and just use it to test. Any thoughts?

Can you be a bit more specific on the change and how does that compare to the control limit you set? The Trident isn't going to go above that.

To answer your question though no. I've not seen anything major. I did see my ALK swing which made me question results for a few days but it ended up being that my display had a sudden increase. I keep a bottle of fauna marin's multi reference solution to check when I notice things like this. Remove the Tridents sample line, wipe it off with warm water to remove displays water or anything gross, place sample line in fauna marin's bottle, tell trident to prime sample line, and then run a combined test. Should match what is on the bottle and it usually is for me.

Quiverfull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The change that occurs is after I change Reagent A. Prior to changing Reagent A, my Alk reading is 8.4 The dosing target was/is set for 8.5 and averages about 35 ml per day with Trident control. Once I change the Reagent A bottle, my next test reading is 8.85 which then automatically lowers my dosing schedule drastically to below 20ml per day. To me, this indicates that the testing result after changing Reagent A is drastically altered which results in the significant dosing change. This disrupts my stability. If I hand check my Alk with a Salifert kit, the reading is stable around 8.3 before and after the Trident cuts my dosing regimen, it is 7.8 on Salifert. I will order some reference solution and re calibrate. My question is do I need to re calibrate every time i change any of the reagents?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The change that occurs is after I change Reagent A. Prior to changing Reagent A, my Alk reading is 8.4 The dosing target was/is set for 8.5 and averages about 35 ml per day with Trident control. Once I change the Reagent A bottle, my next test reading is 8.85 which then automatically lowers my dosing schedule drastically to below 20ml per day. To me, this indicates that the testing result after changing Reagent A is drastically altered which results in the significant dosing change. This disrupts my stability. If I hand check my Alk with a Salifert kit, the reading is stable around 8.3 before and after the Trident cuts my dosing regimen, it is 7.8 on Salifert. I will order some reference solution and re calibrate. My question is do I need to re calibrate every time i change any of the reagents?

You can always pull out the sample line and place it in a known reference solution and run a test to see how it is. That would confirm. I keep a bottle of Fauna Marin multi reference around just for this.

It isn't something I have to do frequently but there was a few patches whereas my display had a uptake in ALK which made me question my numbers. Turns out everything was fine and I was really using a lot which threw off the numbers due to the higher demand.

mermaid_life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys know if trident is smart enough to not dose calcium and alk simultaneously or not too close together?

*Edit NVM i figured it out!

Last edited:

ConsummatePro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys know if trident is smart enough to not dose calcium and alk simultaneously or not too close together?

*Edit NVM i figured it out!
Can you share how you did it? I don't see Trident actually staggering them and it seems you have to manually make intervals for dosing that don't overlap?

mermaid_life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you share how you did it? I don't see Trident actually staggering them and it seems you have to manually make intervals for dosing that don't overlap?
yep, you have to manually do it under each interval.

Hit "modify interval"

1663648366822.png

This is how i ended up programming it. Might be overkill, but I want to see if I can even out my parameters. I test everything every 12 hours and alk only every 6 hours. I've only had the trident for a month or so. Once I feel confident things even out, I may reduce testing.

1663648326698.png

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need to see anything else.

ConsummatePro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep, you have to manually do it under each interval.

Hit "modify interval"

1663648366822.png

This is how i ended up programming it. Might be overkill, but I want to see if I can even out my parameters. I test everything every 12 hours and alk only every 6 hours. I've only had the trident for a month or so. Once I feel confident things even out, I may reduce testing.

1663648326698.png

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need to see anything else.
That’s great - I like it. Right now I’ve got mine dosing alk most of the time but then dumps the calcium in over a 4 hour span - I think I’ll break it up more.
I’ve also been wondering about more alk overnight to help keep ph up but my ph is typically 8.15- 8.25 with the co2 scrubber so it may not matter as much.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.6%
Back