Trident FAQ (official)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Takeyuki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^ The lines are very small diameter and for a reason. Means doesn't have to use much tank water to prime and does not need the volume of an inline filter.

Take off the input line and try to blow through it. If you can't, its blocked. Cut it in half, find the half that works. Hopefully it's long enough.

If not need new line.

Have it sample from a clean place.
Do you have a Trident?

Takeyuki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take care of two, and agree with everything he said. (Making sure to sample from a clean place, clearing the lines, etc).
I already blew through the sample line. its defenitely clear. I wondering the gunk went into Trident. I dont know if I can dissemble. IF so, I could blow through all lines.
And cutting the sample line is prohibitted.

U

User1

View Badges
I already blew through the sample line. its defenitely clear. I wondering the gunk went into Trident. I dont know if I can dissemble. IF so, I could blow through all lines.
And cutting the sample line is prohibitted.

As stated above, don't cut any lines. If you believe they are clogged then you can order a new one from Neptune. They are not that expensive. Also if you haven't send a support ticket tonight. It will get picked up in the morning and you will have a call by noon. Email for sure.

I think it was already suggested but to 2nd you can remove the line and blow through. You should feel air on the other end. If that is working then Neptune can explain how to take apart the trident. I don't think they will have you do that though but rather provide a way to see if it is actually pulling water in, etc. Inside the lines are a bit tricky from the manifold. More or less what you will do is trace the drop of blood through it as much as you can without removing any of the lines.

If you haven't - send in a ticket.

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take care of two, and agree that you need to be sure to sample from a clean place, clearing the lines by blowing in them, etc. However the input line is not supposed to be cut!

I wonder the reasoning on why sample line cannot be cut. I can take it at face value, but I always want to understand why.

I also have a ReefBot. Interestingly, their sample line is quite long and not small diameter and has an inline filter. It is also the reason it uses a lot more tank water than the Trident. Interesting to see why these design decisions matter or not.

U

User1

View Badges
I wonder the reasoning on that. I can take it at face value, but I always want to understand why.

Understand the reasoning on what? Why they say not to cut the supply line? Simple. Math.

You cut the line, or extend it, and now you just threw the whole system off in how it calculates things. Numbers would be off, etc. Ok, how about this. You remember the Mars Probe, right? That $125 million dollar satellite that crashed into Mars? Yeah, that little nugget was lost because one engineer used metric and forgot to convert it to English (or the other way around - I forget who was at fault). Anyway math. Change the line, change the calculations, numbers will be off...

You won't be out as much as JPL and NASA but....

Takeyuki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated above, don't cut any lines. If you believe they are clogged then you can order a new one from Neptune. They are not that expensive. Also if you haven't send a support ticket tonight. It will get picked up in the morning and you will have a call by noon. Email for sure.

I think it was already suggested but to 2nd you can remove the line and blow through. You should feel air on the other end. If that is working then Neptune can explain how to take apart the trident. I don't think they will have you do that though but rather provide a way to see if it is actually pulling water in, etc. Inside the lines are a bit tricky from the manifold. More or less what you will do is trace the drop of blood through it as much as you can without removing any of the lines.

If you haven't - send in a ticket.
I should have turned the trident "manual" till the sump water be clear. I already sent a support ticket.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder the reasoning on why sample line cannot be cut. I can take it at face value, but I always want to understand why.

I also have a ReefBot. Interestingly, their sample line is quite long and not small diameter and has an inline filter. It is also the reason it uses a lot more tank water than the Trident. Interesting to see why these design decisions matter or not.

My understanding is that there is friction within every tube. If you cut the line, not only are you messing up the “purge” calculations, but also changing the backpressure slightly. Same reason that you need to calibrate with the solution at the same height you normally draw from.

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When do the reagents expire? I don't see an expiration date just a 'sell by date' on the side of the boxes (which can't be the expiration date right??? That's way too soon for a 6 month supply I was able to get a hold of...

20200205_133047.jpg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have wondered same.

blitzkragz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the Trident a week or so and did my first calibration today. The calibration solution is at 8.5dkh, but right after it went through an hour calibrating it showed 8.3dkh on my graph. Then the next "real" test came in at 8.07.

Should it not be showing as 8.5dkh just after calibration, before it runs the next real test?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the Trident a week or so and did my first calibration today. The calibration solution is at 8.5dkh, but right after it went through an hour calibrating it showed 8.3dkh on my graph. Then the next "real" test came in at 8.07.

Should it not be showing as 8.5dkh just after calibration, before it runs the next real test?

Did you remember to input "8.5" in the calibration box? Because the default might be 8.3; I dont recall.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes it should. Mine always finish calibration with the numbers entered during the calibration setup.
Or very close, no more than 0.01 dKH off.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just set up my Trident and it talked about saving the box for a routine service through neptune. What is the schedule on that?

Every 2 years it should get some replacement parts- my guess is tubing, maybe a vial, etc. Hasn’t been announced yet. But they said it will be available either as a service or you can just buy the parts.

U

User1

View Badges
Every 2 years it should get some replacement parts- my guess is tubing, maybe a vial, etc. Hasn’t been announced yet. But they said it will be available either as a service or you can just buy the parts.

Pretty much this. 14 months or so give or take. Send in or DIY. It may not be that bad to buy the kit if they end up offering one. I had to open mine up and it wasn't that bad. Nervous at first but in the end looking back it was a no brainer. I had to reattach one of the manifold lines when mine came off.

Once piece of advise after owning a Trident and having a Brightwell media block (similar to the marine pure blocks), make sure you place the sample line in a clean area in the sump. My Brightwell block was starting to fall apart(no fault of theirs, how I had it placed) and my sample line was right after it in my sump. So I was seeing a lot of fine particles. Anyway the sump line pulled some in, pinched the line, and the pressure, or draw, ended up popping a line off the manifold. Neptune walked me through how to reconnect after we found the root cause.

Interesting enough I think this will hold true if I had a MS or even GHL/Probe setup. Those blocks do a great job but at the end of the day if high flow potential they really wear them down. My sump was covered in the residue and there you have it.

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my 6 months supply and 3 alk bottles have ice chunks in it from being in back of UPS trucks. Will the reagents be junk now?

Attachments

• IMG_1493.MOV
    67.7 MB

bo0ks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running my trident for several months now and am quite pleased. My question is, now that I've run through the 'old' reagents,and purchased new reagents that required the new reagent replacement procured (aka, replace as usual, but run three tests back to back to make sure you are getting consistent results), do I need to run this 'new reagent replacement procedure' every time I replace my reagents?

Or was it only to flush out the lines between some older formulation of the reagents and a new one, and now that I"m on new ones, I should no longer need to run the three-in-a-row test. Thanks.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 137 87.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back