Trident FAQ (official)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 4, Members: 0, Guests: 4)

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "drift " is a known issue from neptune. There is a user on here @Brasileiro561 who made some needle holders to put on the caps to hold the needles vertical. This helps eliminate the drift in results.

I do not think this is a correct recommendation. If he installed the reagent a week ago, it is totally unrelated to the needles sucking air due to being slightly crooked. The bottles are full. The printed solution would only apply to users who are having it happen in the last week or two.

Brasileiro561

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, I do not think this is a correct recommendation. If he installed the reagent a week ago, clearly it is totally unrelated to the needles sucking air due to being slightly crooked. The bottles are full. The printed solution would only apply to users who are having it happen in the last week or two.
Harold is correct. the inserts won't help you if you have more than 25% in the bottle

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harold is correct. the inserts won't help you if you have more than 25% in the bottle

Thanks!
In addition, I was kind of wondering what material are you using for the acidic environment- ABS? PETG?

Last edited:

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue with CA climbing when reagent bottle gets low as well. Happens most of the time. Just sent in a report ticket.

If anyone else has this problem, please report it to Neptune so at least they will have an idea of how many people this affects to prioritize a fix.
I am having this same issue I’ve been gathering info for past 3 months to prove this along with my complaint of only getting max 6 weeks from 2 months of regent on the lowest setting 4x a day and never performing anymore then the programmed tests. I have graphs that show the cal and mag both raise very high over 3-6 day period about 35-45 days after regen replacement. Only thing that fixes my numbers is to replace all regents. Then numbers read proper on next test. Till about 35-45 days later even tho Neptune’s sells these as 2 month supply. Is anyone out there actually getting 2 months I’d love to hear if it’s true. Also I did use an old regen bottle and cut side off to check and adjust the height of the needle in bottle it was off a little bit did not fix my issue. Is it possible it’s not from sucking air but from just bottom of the bottle not getting shaken for the month ? Anyways when I have time I’ll probably send in support ticket aswell

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of my graph

DD7336D1-5DB7-4931-9814-D254ADB99065.png E6198A34-C015-4691-87E9-44066C3C7C93.png D018C308-0947-4EC7-9514-1EFF27D9EC3C.png

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
March18 to April 30 if you look at the dates on the graphs that 42 days not 2 month

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so now that the Trident has been released, we wanted to create a new thread with links to the information out there on the Trident as well as answer, to the best of our ability, additional questions from hobbyists. From that feedback, we will update our official FAQ with those questions when it seems like they will be "Frequently Asked."

We hope that this thread can stay on topic, stay productive and also does not devolve with unhelpful posts from those that may have no real interest in the Trident, and whose only desire is to foment unrest.

The Trident goes/went on sale at midnight, PDT, 5/8/2019.

Here are the links:

Launch video: https://bit.ly/2PX0oPm
Product page: https://www.neptunesystems.com/products/expansion-modules/trident/
Official FAQ: https://www.neptunesystems.com/getstarted/trident/faq/
Trident Support Information Page: https://www.neptunesystems.com/getstarted/trident/
Neptune Systems Community Trident Forum: https://forum.neptunesystems.com/forumdisplay.php?84-Trident-Marine-Aquarium-Water-Analyzer
Reagent Ordering: https://www.neptunesystems.com/reagents
5/7 #LetsTalkReef livestream: https://bit.ly/2vOZcEu
5/8 Launch Day Update: https://bit.ly/2WHBKVL

Here are additional questions we have answered already in this thread and, likely, elsewhere.

What is Trident?
Automatic, continuous water tester for alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium.

Do I need an Apex to use a Trident?
Yes

How many tests does Trident perform per day?
The Trident has the option to run as few as 4 test cycles per day up to 24 test cycles per day. The test cycles alternate between testing only alkalinity and testing all three parameters. The 4/2/2 schedule will result in 4 alkalinity tests per day, 2 calcium tests, and 2 magnesium tests.

Can I test more or less than the minimum schedule or in any different combination?
No, the provided schedules are necessary to maintain proper operation.

I don't want to test calcium or magnesium every day, can I turn those tests off?
No. The Trident alternates between testing all 3 (alk, cal, mag) and single alkalinity tests.

Installation

How far from my tank can I place Trident?
The sample line is 5ft and cannot be cut or extended under any circumstances! We suggest keeping the Trident less than 4ft from the tank or sump.

Can I cut or extend the sample line tubing?
The sample line is 5ft and cannot be cut or extended under any circumstances!

Should I place the Trident above my water line? Below?
It can be placed wherever the tube reaches but placing it below the waterline can risk a siphon to occur and drain water from your tank should something disconnect the sample tube.

Reagent Info

How long in between reagent replacement?
Reagents will last 2 months when testing on the 4/2/2 schedule.

What is the reagent shelf-life?
1 year when sealed.

Can the reagents get cold? Hot?
Reagents should be kept at room temperature and not exposed to bright sunlight.

Is there a reagent subscription plan?
It's possible if there is interest - let us know!

Maintenance Info

What do I need to do to maintain Trident?
Besides replacing reagents and letting it calibrate with a standard solution every couple of months, it is suggested to perform service on the Trident roughly every 18-24 months.

Can I perform the servicing myself?
Yes! You will be able to order a maintenance kit for less than $100. We are still determining all of the necessary included components and since this is quite a bit into the future, we want to get it right and not require too much or too little to be done.

Are there other servicing options?
Neptune Systems will offer an advanced replacement servicing option for between $150-$200 - there are not further details at this time.

Do I have to ship my Trident into Neptune Systems for the this servicing?
No! If you decide to service the unit yourself, then you do not have to ship the unit in. If we do the maintenance, there will be an advanced replacement option available - details to be released later. BUT NO DOWN TIME!

Automatic Dosing Control

Can Trident control my dosing pump to keep everything stable?
Yes, when paired with one or many Neptune DOS, the Apex will use the Trident data to safely and intelligently adjust dosing based on recent test results.

Will automatic dosing control work with my 3rd party dosing pump?
The short answer is no. However, since the Trident is providing the testing data back to the Apex, if you have an "on/off" type dosing pump, you could come up with your own dosing programming to use that data in different ways.

How does controlled dosing work?
After each Trident test, The Apex will use the Trident data to update the DOS head linked to each test and make small adjustments to attempt to course-correct and maintain stable parameters. If you typically dose 10ml of alkalinity, enabling controlled dosing will give the Trident the ability to change that dosage by 1-2ml depending on test results. There are safety limits in place to prevent a runaway condition that could harm your tank.

Do I need 2 DOSs to use dosing control?
No. You can choose to activate controlled dosing for a single parameter if you'd like. A single DOS can be used to control alkalinity and calcium, leaving magnesium to be manually dosed, for example.

What happens if Trident controlled dosing isn't working? Will it harm my tank?
Trident controlled dosing is very clever about not dosing too much or too little additive. Controlled dosing is only activated while the test results are within an expected range. If Trident + DOS control results in numbers that aren't staying stable, controlled dosing will temporarily be shut off and you will receive an alert to intervene. Dosing will go back to your baseline dosing value in the interim.

Can I use Trident with my calcium reactor?
At the moment, we don't have a task created to help program direct calcium reactor support, but it can be done through advanced programming. Another method would be to use the calcium reactor for 90% replenishment and use Trident + DOS to dose liquid additives for the remaining 10% of usage. This also adds a bit of redundancy if your calcium reactor ever goes offline.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
March18 to April 30 if you look at the dates on the graphs that 42 days not 2 month

Most likely it is sucking some air from the tube when reagents are low, I would suggest adjusting it to be vertical and close to the bottom of the container.

And/or just submit a ticket to Neptune

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having this same issue I’ve been gathering info for past 3 months to prove this along with my complaint of only getting max 6 weeks from 2 months of regent on the lowest setting 4x a day and never performing anymore then the programmed tests. I have graphs that show the cal and mag both raise very high over 3-6 day period about 35-45 days after regen replacement. Only thing that fixes my numbers is to replace all regents. Then numbers read proper on next test. Till about 35-45 days later even tho Neptune’s sells these as 2 month supply. Is anyone out there actually getting 2 months I’d love to hear if it’s true. Also I did use an old regen bottle and cut side off to check and adjust the height of the needle in bottle it was off a little bit did not fix my issue. Is it possible it’s not from sucking air but from just bottom of the bottle not getting shaken for the month ? Anyways when I have time I’ll probably send in support ticket aswell

When I submitted my ticket with CA rising when reagents were low, they asked me to give permission in the trident so they could look directly into it and see the my graph and pattern of level rise themselves. They then called to explain situation and gave a short questionaire to collect more data about the problem.

Open a ticket.

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20200508-164457_Samsung Internet.jpg

Here's my climb, this was actually the worse it has ever been since the life of my trident. It read so high it eventually just read 0 and wouldn't give me any reading after that. Guess when I replaced my reagents? Lol!

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw I forgot to add to my post that when these issues happen with cal and mag at only 42-45 days the regents are at 20-26% on average. I would not consider that low. And I did straighten the straw in bottle to try to be close to bottom as possible without actually touching it

Goldenvue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue on my third set of reagents, was freaked out that it was over doseing. Come to find out after reading the ca was the issue

kevin_e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If people are only getting 75% of their reagent out of each bottle, then reagent prices need to drop by 25%. It appears the Trident is unusable at that point.

There needs to be a design chnage to address this major issue.

U

User1

View Badges
If people are only getting 75% of their reagent out of each bottle, then reagent prices need to drop by 25%. It appears the Trident is unusable at that point.

There needs to be a design chnage to address this major issue.

What makes you say it is unusable? There are no signs of that. During their live stream on Feb 20th they said there is a known issue with Ca/Mg drifting but it was only affecting 1% of the user base. This doesn't seem to jive with your comment above.

As far as reagents go they are overfilled to allow reagent use during calibration. No, if you are going to ask is that 25% no. It isn't.

kevin_e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What makes you say it is unusable? There are no signs of that. During their live stream on Feb 20th they said there is a known issue with Ca/Mg drifting but it was only affecting 1% of the user base. This doesn't seem to jive with your comment above.

As far as reagents go they are overfilled to allow reagent use during calibration. No, if you are going to ask is that 25% no. It isn't.

What is that 1% based on? I bet there is a lot more than that and it seems like a result of a flaw in the design and can affect everyone because of it.

If people are having to replace reagents at 75% use than the price of reagent needs to come down proportionally. People arent getting "2 months" out of their supply under those circumstances.

I'm an avid Apex supporter and owner, but this isn't acceptable or typical of their products. I'm sure they would agree too.

U

User1

View Badges
What is that 1% based on? I bet there is a lot more than that and it seems like a result of a flaw in the design and can affect everyone because of it.

If people are having to replace reagents at 75% use than the price of reagent needs to come down proportionally. People arent getting "2 months" out of their supply under those circumstances.

I'm an avid Apex supporter and owner, but this isn't acceptable or typical of their products. I'm sure they would agree too.

Ask Neptune. They are not my numbers - they are the numbers they presented in the live stream when it was discussed.

As far as reagent use goes the only answer I can give you is what they also hinted at in the same stream. I'd recommend you watch it if you haven't already and that is testing. See, people are testing more than what they said they would when polled originally. So reagents are being used more than what was projected which leads to two things:

1. Higher demand in reagents which leads to shortage (not to mention pandemic)
2. Delay of Trident release to EMEA

That is what I know based on what they said in the live stream. I think if there was a higher percentage of issues then it would be a flaw. Hanging out on their forums and a few others I just do not see the numbers reflecting a flaw as you alluded to.

However, that doesn't mean I can't be incorrect. Just my opinion is all for what it is worth. Hope you are having a great weekend.

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Alk/Ca/Mg level you maintain plays a role in the time reagent will last. If your tank Ca is 450 vs 380 you will use a more reagent each test. The 2 month time frame, I believe was said to be based on natural sea water levels. When I kept my tank at 9dkh, 440Ca, and 1300Mg I normally got around 6 weeks out of the “2 month” set.

Also the reagents are designed to be changed we’ll before 0%. I’ll look thru the early videos to verify but I believe they said most would need to change the reagent when 15-20% remained. At my prior mentioned stats I usually needed to switch reagents around 20% remaining.

I can speak from experience about the pickup tube being slightly out of plumb will effect reagent needing to be changed several percentage points before one that is plumb. I have put a small piece of tape on the top to hold the tube in place. This way when the drawer is closed any pressure on the tubing hopefully will not cause the tube to shift slightly. When I replace the reagent I hold the top and twist the bottle off and on so that I don’t have to realign the tube each time. Since aligning and securing the pickup tube holder I have seen an increase in reagent life. I was usually replacing around 20% but as of now my Alk test estimates 14% and is still reading as expected. I’ll know in a couple weeks if the alignment made any difference in the B&C reagent life.

Another place to visually inspect is the tubing manifold. If the tubes are not seated fully on the manifold behind the drawer you can get air leakage which would skew your results also.

kamikazereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guy need help Got my trident 2 week ago
Plug it and install it and everything was going good all readings was matching my other test kit
After 1 week I did the calibration following every step Right after the calibration the calcium jump to from 435 to 485
440on salifert 3 test in a row

so I reduce my dosing and calcium is still going up with no calcium dosing and 60 ml of esv alk to keep alk up

my tube is out of the sump for 24 hour now and my trident now reading 515 and salifert reading now390 just don’t know what to do alk and mag still on point

what should I do now ??

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guy need help Got my trident 2 week ago
Plug it and install it and everything was going good all readings was matching my other test kit
After 1 week I did the calibration following every step Right after the calibration the calcium jump to from 435 to 485
440on salifert 3 test in a row

so I reduce my dosing and calcium is still going up with no calcium dosing and 60 ml of esv alk to keep alk up

my tube is out of the sump for 24 hour now and my trident now reading 515 and salifert reading now390 just don’t know what to do alk and mag still on point

what should I do now ??

What does that mean, "my tube is out of the sump for 24 hour now"?

I dont really understand what you are trying to do- I would recommend submitting a ticket to Neptune. There are several things that could have gone wrong with calibration, such as not placing the calibration fluid at the same height of where you are normally drawing sample water, etc.

You are also assuming that the salifert kit is correct- it very well may not be. If you have leftover calibration fluid, I recommend you test that with your salifert kit to ensure the kit it is reading accurately- it should match the numbers on the bottle..

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 48 41.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 21 18.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back